Mackie 1604 VLZ gremlin- any ideas?

• Members

I have an outboard reverb (quadraverb) tied in (with the help of my local mom & pop) by running aux 4 out to the reverb then back into the line level on channel 16. this way I can control verb on the channel 16 slider and feed in reverb to each channel with the aux 4 controls on each strip.

Gremlin- now and then the reverb just quits and the fix is to turn the quad off and on again. I've tried a different unit (microverb) with the same symptoms.

I'm pretty sure it's not cables as I have swapped them out when the problem was manifest.

I was reading the "What I run, Why I run it" thread and saw:

Mixer:Mackie 1604VLZ. ...
CONS: Periodically have to dissassemble the mixer and clean, tighten the ribbon connectors. .

Would this be related? if so, easy for a fearless weekend warrior?

If not, help... cry.gif

• Members

That could possibly be a ribbon cable issue, but I wouldn't say that for certain. I can't remember exactly how that mixer is constructed, but if it's like most Mackie's it's pretty easy but very tedious to disassemble. There are just screws in the case and nuts on the pots. Take out as many as you need to get to whatever you need to get to. Be gentle, keep the parts organized and remember where they go and you won't have any issues.

First you should probably try the reverb in a different channel, then a different aux, then maybe on a different mixer, to figure out exacty where the problem is. If it's a ribbon cable, cleaning it and making sure the connections are secure is an easy fix. If components are bad, such as the pots, you won't be able to find parts and you'll be better off getting something different. Or don't use the sections of the mixer that are bad, until you have enough of those to necessitate getting something else.

It would be worth cleaning the connectors on the mixer as well, just to be thorough.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
That could possibly be a ribbon cable issue, but I wouldn't say that for certain. I can't remember exactly how that mixer is constructed, but if it's like most Mackie's it's pretty easy but very tedious to disassemble. There are just screws in the case and nuts on the pots. Take out as many as you need to get to whatever you need to get to. Be gentle, keep the parts organized and remember where they go and you won't have any issues.

First you should probably try the reverb in a different channel, then a different aux, then maybe on a different mixer, to figure out exacty where the problem is. If it's a ribbon cable, cleaning it and making sure the connections are secure is an easy fix. If components are bad, such as the pots, you won't be able to find parts and you'll be better off getting something different. Or don't use the sections of the mixer that are bad, until you have enough of those to necessitate getting something else.

It would be worth cleaning the connectors on the mixer as well, just to be thorough.
i did some work arounds as you describe-that's the thing with intermittent gremlins. They don't always come out to play when you hook up to another aux, or the stereo-in, etc.

I'm 97% certain its not the reverb unit(s).

With the 'fix' being off/on I'm thinking bad connection somewhere- just enough to choke off once in a while. I wouldn't pursue the ribbon connectors if that were ruled out as not in the ballpark.

But I know there's some good minds on this forum to mull this over.

This board sat in a church for many years, so it saw no road duty, no smoke, maybe dust. It's in good shape and all the pots and sliders and buttons function and aren't noisy.

• Members

I have a couple here in the shop with similar (and worse) problems. It could be any number of things, all related to intermittent connections. Maybe ribbon cables (it's not cleaning the connections, it's the IDC where assembled) or pots, switches, PCB components. NOt worth fixing as the labor exceeds the value of the mixer in most cases. I no longer service them as I do not have enough confidence in the units to warranty the repair for fear of another intermittent somewhere else rearing it's head.

• Members

its easy to fix a mackie. remove it from wherever it is, toss it out and replace it with something better.

sorry; i also have a 1604 and hate it - its been nothing but trouble. compare that to my mixwiz which has had no instance of any issue at all and is easily tenfold the mixer at a similar price.

• Members

I had a 1604 VLZ Pro - after a while it failed during a gig (one of the main outs); got it repaired and then it failed again. Eventually I simply took the advice from the experts on this forum and got an A&H Mixwiz which has been faultless ever since. I simply couldn't trust the Mackie, so it had to go.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rangerkarlos View Post
I'm 97% certain its not the reverb unit(s).

With the 'fix' being off/on I'm thinking bad connection somewhere- just enough to choke off once in a while. I wouldn't pursue the ribbon connectors if that were ruled out as not in the ballpark.
Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see how turning an external device on/off would affect internal connections on the mixer. Disconnecting and reconnecting the device makes sense to me because there are physical connections being disturbed. But simply cycling the power on an external device wouldn't lead me to the mixer as a first choice as a source of the problem.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lonotes

View Post

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see how turning an external device on/off would affect internal connections on the mixer. Disconnecting and reconnecting the device makes sense to me because there are physical connections being disturbed. But simply cycling the power on an external device wouldn't lead me to the mixer as a first choice as a source of the problem.

Because the (audio) transient caused by the turn-on/off can be high enough to punch through the oxide layer on the intermittent connection. Specifically the IDC type.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Because the (audio) transient caused by the turn-on/off can be high enough to punch through the oxide layer on the intermittent connection. Specifically the IDC type.
I would have never thought that that transient would be high enough to do that. But, then again, many books have been filled with things I've never thought of. Live and learn.

/ Or die stupid. There really are no other options

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lonotes View Post
I would have never thought that that transient would be high enough to do that. But, then again, many books have been filled with things I've never thought of. Live and learn.

/ Or die stupid. There really are no other options
The oxide layer is atoms (molecules actually) thick.

Archived