How are "Thursday nights Football" working out for you ?

J.Paul

• Members

It's still so new that manager/owners are forgetting about it till you get there and start setting-up

(I actually just left the TV volume on last night- if you can imagine THAT)

It's hasn't become part of the weekly format for bar /restaurant owners around here yet so they are still booking Thursdays

I feel that this won't end well

How about you're neck of the woods?

• Members

Around here (Ottawa, Canada), we still play our alotted times (930-1) on thursdays. There is football on and most people watch it, but we turn the sound off on the TVs. Even when we are not playing it is the radio on with the game muted. Recently the bar I book for did stop monday night live music though to make way for football.

• Moderators

I figured out last year that Mondays and Thursdays were days to not play the sports bars from September to December.

This year, I have written off October...both the Dodgers and the Angels are in post season...

I don't know about the rest of the world, but the economy here is not recovered. Private events are just not happening...no one is willing to shell out money on extravagance...

• Members

I am just a few short hours down the road from you and there is live cover music here 7 nights a weeks in the bars in the downtown core. Must be a totally different dynamic in a small town. I work and play for 3 bars in a few block radius downtown that do music every night. One bar books solo acts, one bar books solo/duo, and the other books duo/trio

• Members

Is that Elgin Street? Rideau? Anyway, I spent a half-dozen years wintering in Ottawa and doing a bit of gigging. Lived in a shared musician house on Bell Street. Is Guy Del Villano still active? We get to Ottawa occasionally but almost never stay over or go out for the evening. Kids.

Ottawa sounds much better than Gananoque and Kingston. We get grizzling about how poor it is here and the guys from k-town point out that there are more solo/duo gigs here (pop 5000) in the summer than in Kingston (pop 100,000). Brockville seems to be better. Ottawa has always been a good place for musicians unless you're seriously ambitious and then you probably have to go to Toronto.

• Members

Yeah those venues are in the Byward Market (north of Rideau street). One of them in particular I do a weekly gig at and facilitate all the entertainment booking for their 7-day a week live music. There's some pretty cool musicians who come through there.

Archived