New Behringer Digital Mixers

• CMS Author

They naturally are going to put faster processors into newer phones as the processors become available. Which is great except then it only becomes natural that they'll just add more stuff for the device to process because now it 'can'. End result being things aren't really any faster than they were at the beginning and you don't even necessarily need (or at least notice) all that more stuff it does.

But it will definitely bog down older processors. Same thing happens with PCs as well.

That would be the natural assumption. But the same function should not take more programming/processing just because it's in a newer OS. In other words, it doesn't take more processing to surf the web, and it's a good bet for example Safari was moved from one iOS to the other intact. New functions are added to it, but those are other processes. Typically only security add-ons/patches are added to the existing code, which can slow things, but it shouldn't be that noticeable. You don't really see PC/Mac OS's running so noticeably slower when a new version comes out.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know Safari's internals -- but you would be shocked to find out how much new functionality is being constantly added to web browsers. New events, new style rules, those sorts of things eat small but constant resources. Add that to increasing memory requirements causing more frequent garbage collection, and you can often find surprising performance brick walls. In Apple's case, I don't believe they are actively slowing anything down -- they are simply not tuning for the older devices when they find these perf issues.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
So I've downloaded and been playing with the x32 app and the xr18 app. I can only use the demo version since I own niether. Well, it's cool, but it keeps crashing (ipad2). And the 6 seconds it takes to reload is far longer than it takes for me to adjust an aux send or eq on an 01v96. This doesn't help sell me any tablet only mixer...

Did this get any better with updates? I'm thinking of getting one of these to put in my guitar FX rack as a sub- / monitor mixer. Any thoughts on it for this purpose?

• Members
Did this get any better with updates? I'm thinking of getting one of these to put in my guitar FX rack as a sub- / monitor mixer. Any thoughts on it for this purpose?

I have an XR18, and used it to replace an 8ch analog mixer for the restaurant and bar gigs that I do.

I like it quite a bit, though in the rack I added an ethernet switch and a small wifi router cause the one in the box doesn't work.

IMO, it's very nice, reliable easy to use, but I always bring both my iPad (which I use for a lot of other things) and a backup Macbook Pro just out of fear of getting shut down. I haven't had any problems. I ran a 4-act, 12-input singer-songwriter show for 400 people through it, and it was great... I had 4 monitor mixes, the eqs and comps work, everyone was very happy.

That said, it's not anywhere near convenient enough for me to want to use as, say, part of my instrument setup.

I had thought about it, but I don't wanna.

Like, I play pedal steel, accordion, banjo, doboro, and keys (generally not all on the same gig, lol), so it seems like a natural kind of tool... like, I can have a scene with a main mix out and then split each of the instruments to individual outs if I wanted that, all with whatever processing I want on them... plus bring in a mix and send it to my wired IEMs.

But there is so much overhead with just interacting with the device via ipad it seems like it'd be way more headache than it is worth. When I'm setting stuff up or "just" running sound it's not a big deal, but the context switch to change instruments between songs seems like a real headache.

So for even something as simple as, 2 singers + acoustic guitar + fiddle, yeah, that's enough for me... but if I can just bring a pedal board with an ab box, nah that mixer is too much.

• Members

Like, I play pedal steel, accordion, banjo, doboro, and keys (generally not all on the same gig, lol), so it seems like a natural kind of tool... like, I can have a scene with a main mix out and then split each of the instruments to individual outs if I wanted that, all with whatever processing I want on them... plus bring in a mix and send it to my wired IEMs.

But there is so much overhead with just interacting with the device via ipad it seems like it'd be way more headache than it is worth. When I'm setting stuff up or "just" running sound it's not a big deal, but the context switch to change instruments between songs seems like a real headache.

So for even something as simple as, 2 singers + acoustic guitar + fiddle, yeah, that's enough for me... but if I can just bring a pedal board with an ab box, nah that mixer is too much.

What makes it difficult to use, aside from the WiFi that doesn't work (as widely reported)?

My application is electric guitar, steel-string, maybe one more (mando, banjo, etc), a vocal mic, with an output for monitor and a feed to the FOH board, so it's not like I need a bunch of channels. The most compelling feature for me is the integral 31-band EQ, which would allow me to have the mixer and the monitor EQ in a 2-space rack opening (which happens to be what I have open in my current guitar FX rack). If I have to buy a new rack case and add the EQ to the price of an inexpensive analog mixer, it ends up being double the price of the XR12, so.....?

Archived