The BeatBuddy arrived yesterday afternoon...

daddymack

• Members

Did you obtain the midi cable and foot switch ? I had no problems installing the firmware upgrade. I do agree, this thing is fun, but kind of difficult (for me) to learn to program. I have to spend more time f'n with it, but it is fun, for me. There are many types of "beats" on this thing, fun as heck, for me. My grandson likes it too, particularly the splash cymbal on the foot switch pedal. :D

• Members

Yes, I use the Beat Buddy as a midi clock for my Boomerang III and that works great. I also downloaded the firmware upgrade successfully, it is the management software that is the problem and without that, I cannot build a set list that I can step through at a gig. Right now it works well to practice with and to record but without being able to gig with it, it remains an expensive toy.

• Members

I remember when Line 6 was struggleing to update their POD software, it took months and people who bought their products with a promise of workable software were pretty hot. Perhaps the discussion aught to be in regard to the ethics of selling a poduct that is in fact not completely workable.

• Moderators

well, it works to a point...I am surprised that the software is lagging behind so badly. When David Packouz first approached us here for ideas, they incorporated a bunch of our suggestions into the final design, including the larger screen, the extra buttons [albeit on the adjunct footswitch] and the midi capbility...which is where they seem to have stopped.

This type of thing, as you noted with Line 6, does happen...look at the Fender SuperChamp X2...they put in a usb port, but there is no internal storage so you can make all sorts of neat patches externally on your computer, but you can't load them into the amp and take them with you :facepalm:

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Not for nothing...

My DR880 has stock beats. It's easy to program, whether you copy those beats or create your own.

If you're just using the drums, where is the big improvement?

I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand what advantage this device presents.

• Moderators

I like Doctor Rhythm units, especially for home recording, and I know some duos that use the 880 and the 770 live, but the BB is all foot controllable, so there is a very nice 'spontaneity' factor, add/change fills, cut a chorus, add a verse...all a toe tap away. It has taken me a while to get comfy, and there is another data pack to be uploaded, but the best part is through a clean PA channel [or two] it does not sound like electronic drums, very natural tone, with 'ring' and decay on the snares, cymbals...hard to explain in words, but extremely well sampled.

Archived