It's Not the Beach Boys but...

• Members

... it's very good.

I listened to this last night and it sent shivers up my spine...

[video=youtube;wL3-iAayios]

The thing that made the early Beatles stand out from the rest of the pack for me was the blend of the voices. By the time they got to Abbey Road they had really refined it and were coming up with some great stuff. Not the same complexity as the Beach Boys but in "The End" it sounds like they layered a bit and there are some really high notes being hit by someone.

We all know this music now so even the headphone bleed in this is interesting. We can hear where some of the edits are when the bleed changes.

• Members

I'm beginning to think they did that a lot - sing harmonies with themselves in the bits that they wrote - more than I first thought they did.

While the band was together I had a hard time identifying each voice - they just sounded like The Beatles.

When they started putting out solo albums it was east to say that's Paul or that's George then go back to the Fab records and pick them out . "Hard Day's Night" is a collaboration and you can easily identify who wrote and sang each section of the song. Lennon's melody in the verse is almost monotone with shifting harmonies underneath where McCartney's melody really moves around in the bridge.

Paul could stay on one chord and sing a catchy tune "can you take me back where I came from..." whereas John's "Help" and "Lucy in the Sky" both find John singing a C# over some chord changes.

Archived