Next step toward a silent stage

nousername

• Members
nousername: Running a cable out of the Orange will certainly sound kinda wimpy..if it's like most amps with DI out ..those DIs built in generally are better than nothing but NOT MUCH. I am VERY VERY picky about my tone..and I can say that the Palmer DI is the only one I like. Ive tried so many. Palmer is used by Vai' date='VanHalen,Def Lep etc etc ..there is a reason. Its not 100% as good as a speaker but 90% of the way there is damn good..and THEN you will have a silent stage. AND That will reap tons of benefits,imho. Just do it!!! PS: just looked at pics of that Orange amp....it has no real DI out just a speaker out....not sure what ya meant by saying he ran from its DI out.....please clarify and know that the Palmer is the shizzle.[/quote']

Specifically which model are you talking about?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use the Palmer PDI-09..but acc to Palmer the circuitry in that ,which simulators a speaker cab, is the same as in their more expensive units. So...if he used the headphone out from his Orange amp..He would go into the PDI-09..if he wants to run from the speaker outs..he will need a more sophisticated model that offers speaker loading,as well as cab simulation.

• Members
Opus: why the need to know for the specific model? Are you going DI?

I currently go ampless using the Line 6 HD500. For a cover band playing in bars and clubs I've found that if you spend some time really working with it, you can get some great sounds that work in live venues. It sounds good, it's very handy, easily portable, and it goes DI into the PA and i use IEMs.

But...

it's still not the same as a real amp. And I have a gorgeous Budda Superdrive 18 that sounds amazing. I also have a pretty sweet pedalboard. So every now and then I miss the real amp. But the ease, convenience and versatility that the POD HD500 gives me wins out every time for club gigging.

When I read your post, I thought, hmmm, this could be an alternative to the POD that lets me use my Budda from time to time. So I looked it up and there were a number of models so I was curious which one you were talking about.

• Members

Opus, definetly try the Palmer stuff. he is the only one who gets it,imho. The only thing close is the ada micro cab sim (no longer made, but very tweakable...very, very tweakable...see pic below in the rack)and the Two Note toropedo C.A.B (which is mega expensive.) Pete Thorn made a great video with the last one mentioned..(see it on youtube)..but realistically if you are a pro....the Palmer is ROAD WORTHY...DEAD Simple and sounds good.. In fact, if ya think about it its more reproducible than miking anything up.....I hate when the stage translates the rumble sound into the mic..or the fact that the mic is in a different spot every time. Use the Palmer and avoid that. You have a Buddha? Cool Boutiquey amp.Not sure its gonna be suitable if ya crank it...18 watts is a bit much,unless its a big stage..or you guys play pretty loud. Your thoughts?

PS: Yeah HD500 is a cool tool....real big but lots of good sounds in it,if ya work with it.

PSS: ada has come out with a new Cab sim..havent heard it, but looks like its worth hearing see: http://adaamps.com/Products/ada-GCS2/GCS2.htm

e753baf5c5fe01408c0004e2d509d696.jpg.e8550283f1a4cdbcd5ad88440242b85c.jpg

• Members
Opus, definetly try the Palmer stuff. he is the only one who gets it,imho. The only thing close is the ada micro cab sim (no longer made, but very tweakable...very, very tweakable...see pic below in the rack)and the Two Note toropedo C.A.B (which is mega expensive.) Pete Thorn made a great video with the last one mentioned..(see it on youtube)..but realistically if you are a pro....the Palmer is ROAD WORTHY...DEAD Simple and sounds good.. In fact, if ya think about it its more reproducible than miking anything up.....I hate when the stage translates the rumble sound into the mic..or the fact that the mic is in a different spot every time. Use the Palmer and avoid that. You have a Buddha? Cool Boutiquey amp.Not sure its gonna be suitable if ya crank it...18 watts is a bit much,unless its a big stage..or you guys play pretty loud. Your thoughts?

PS: Yeah HD500 is a cool tool....real big but lots of good sounds in it,if ya work with it.

PSS: ada has come out with a new Cab sim..havent heard it, but looks like its worth hearing see: http://adaamps.com/Products/ada-GCS2/GCS2.htm

Well, that's why I was asking what model you use - some of them have load bearing capacity so you can actually turn up the amp... And yes, controlling volume can be an issue. I keep it low when I use it, but obviously that takes a little oomph out of it.

• Members

Opus, yes agreed..if it has tubes they need to run OPEN to do their magic. But what some people don't know is that a 5 watt Tube amp can be run very wide open and still be a low volume situation..after 10 I get concerned. It doesn't suit my situation...but others may dig it. I like a very quiet stage area. I was happy to see that way back in 1985 Van Halen wasn't loud in the stage area. I could hear the guys running across the stage just as well as Eddies Amps. My point: It wasn't stupid loud. Ifya need a small tube amp that completely kicks ass (and allows you to reduce the wattage down to very usable levels see http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubemeister/tubemeister-18/ a friend owns this and the clean is immaculate.. and the dirt is great...it can do an excellent high gain tube...more than that you need you look at and engl (even more money,,,and I don't personally know if they do a good clean sound ala Fender). Cheers!!

• Members

Not wise crack. Illustrative of how IEMs can quantifiably alter the performance for the negative. And also a potential business opportunity. I keep wondering if you couldn't do something similar to an e-bow to generate inaudible feedback that pickups would still pick up.

• Members

Apparently we are all missing out on feedback. :) For the music I play, I'm not really missing anything. I mean sometimes when I play some 80's songs I wish I had more amp-like response but by and large it's fine. Feedback, I haven't needed it and I haven't been to many bars lately where I've heard a band use it - at least not in an intentional and good way. Heh.

• Members

Feedback is just as attainable going direct as it is with an amp. Generally speaking, those who go direct don't have their monitors cranked, (that's the point) and so the sound of the guitar isn't affecting the strings as much. If you're using floor wedges, feedback is possible.

Archived