In Ears and Vocal Pitch

• Members

I had my wife record some video of our gig last night. Watching the video, I noticed I was singing a little sharp all night, except in one song when the battery failed in my in-ears. What might be the cause of the in ear monitor driving me sharp?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gruven65

View Post

I had my wife record some video of our gig last night. Watching the video, I noticed I was singing a little sharp all night, except in one song when the battery failed in my in-ears. What might be the cause of the in ear monitor driving me sharp?

no idea, unless you didn't have any instruments in them to gauge your pitch, or the main instrument you were referencing was slightly sharp?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

no idea, unless you didn't have any instruments in them to gauge your pitch, or the main instrument you were referencing was slightly sharp?

The info I'm finding in searches is conflicting. Some say too much vocal in the mix causes one to sing sharp; some say not enough vocal causes one to sing sharp. I probably had too much vocal in the mix, so your comment about there not being enough of the instruments in the mix for me find pitch, makes sense.

• Members

Maybe your skull is sharp (bone conduction).... Seriously though, in ear monitoring is very different because you are hearing a boatload of your own voice through your skull. Try talking or singing then cover your hears and keep doing it. It's pretty different. Maybe you're just thrown by having to overcome that in your mix. Do you keep the mix very low? I've found I really have to have me at a decent volume with some crispness in the EQ to get over the mud that's in my head (literally).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

Maybe your skull is sharp (bone conduction).... Seriously though, in ear monitoring is very different because you are hearing a boatload of your own voice through your skull. Try talking or singing then cover your hears and keep doing it. It's pretty different. Maybe you're just thrown by having to overcome that in your mix. Do you keep the mix very low? I've found I really have to have me at a decent volume with some crispness in the EQ to get over the mud that's in my head (literally).

Huh! I would think though that the "mud" would be in correct intonation, but I suppose it mostly just smears what you're hearing.

• Members

I don't use IEM's, but when I'm recording tracks with closed-back headphones, I find my pitch control is spot-on; more so than when I'm not using cans. That's probably due to the fact that I can hear myself more easily.

Back in the day, I used to see singers who would cup one hand, and place the heel of their palm next to the side of their mouth, with the fingertips placed next to the ear. Again, this was so they could hear themselves more clearly, and focus more on their part if they were singing harmony. One notable example of this technique was Robin Gibb of the BeeGee's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=-UZjJj9Einw#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EU-8xEd8WU

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
I don't use IEM's, but when I'm recording tracks with closed-back headphones, I find my pitch control is spot-on; more so than when I'm not using cans. That's probably due to the fact that I can hear myself more easily.

Back in the day, I used to see singers who would cup one hand, and place the heel of their palm next to the side of their mouth, with the fingertips placed next to the ear. Again, this was so they could hear themselves more clearly, and focus more on their part if they were singing harmony. One notable example of this technique was Robin Gibb of the BeeGee's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=-UZjJj9Einw#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EU-8xEd8WU
That is my experience as well.

What I have noticed is that my vocals suffer if my guitar part is complex and/or I haven't had time to learn my guitar part so well that I can play it without any thought.

• Members

I'm not sure about the pitch issue, but it sounds like you may not have your IEM vocal feed eq'd to complement the voice sound transmitted through your head when your ears are plugged. You want to USE that sound rather than fight it with the IEM sound. You do this by adjusting the IEM vocal channel eq to significantly reduce the level of the frequencies that you are already hearing through your head. You then balance the IEM vocal feed and the head-transmitted sound to get a natural sounding vocal monitor sound at your eardrums. So, how do you do this without messing up the sound of your vocals in the FOH mix and other peoples' monitors? You have too split your vocals into two mixer input channels and use one for the FOH and other monitor feeds and the other for your IEM feed. (There are several ways you can do this - I use a custom made splitter cable plugged into the channel inserts.) You then use the channel eq on the IEM channel to make the adjustments I described. Of course, you need a channel eq with one or preferably two sweepable mid adjustments. Having a natural vocal sound at your ears may help with the pitch issue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

Exactly! What you hear through bone conduction will be slightly flat. So you go sharp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose

View Post

Exactly! What you hear through bone conduction will be slightly flat. So you go sharp.

I don't understand why it would be flat, from a physics point of view, but I agree that it provides poor pitch feedback. I've always thought that was because it's so upper-bass heavy and there are almost no overtones. Can you explain what would make it flat?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gruven65

View Post

Yes, there is reverb in the IEM mix.

In my opinion, that reverb is probably the cause. Every person I've worked with that had fx in their in ears had problems with pitch. Took out the fx and pitch was fine. So that's where I would start if I were you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
why?
Only because I wanted to try it. I had never done it that way in the past, but worked with others who preferred a "wet" mix. Oddly, it didn't seem to affect the other singers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Crownman View Post
In my opinion, that reverb is probably the cause. Every person I've worked with that had fx in their in ears had problems with pitch. Took out the fx and pitch was fine. So that's where I would start if I were you.
That's what I'll do.

• Members

Do you practice with them in? A lot of people practice with wedges and play live with in ears and never find the correct mix, some sing sharp, some sing to low, etc.
Practice as close to your live rig as possible so you get used to hearing yourself in that situation and your problem should/could go away. Also as mentioned, make sure your reference instrument is tuned properly.

Rod

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by whataracket View Post
I don't understand why it would be flat, from a physics point of view, but I agree that it provides poor pitch feedback. I've always thought that was because it's so upper-bass heavy and there are almost no overtones. Can you explain what would make it flat?
I'm sorry, it goes slightly sharp. To understand why we have to look at two areas of study: Wave theory, and psycho-accoustics.

Wavelength, speed and magnitude are affected by the density of the transmission medium. If a wave encounters a boundary of a higher density (air to bone in this case), a portion of that wave will be reflected back (reflective losses) and a portion will continue through the boundary material (transmitted). The transmitted wave will will be of lower magnitude and will travel slower slower resulting in a shorter wavelength for a given frequency (which is not affected by variations in density).

This conducted wave that is now shorter in length and is directly conducted into the cochlea. The cochlea is actually wavelength sensitive, not frequency sensitive. The easiest model for this is antenna theory.

The hairs within the cochlea respond to wavelengths in proportions to their lengths, much like an antenna can be tuned for the wave length of a specific carrier frequency for maximum sensitivity. Antenna matching can be thrown off by changes in temperature and elevation. So sensitive systems need to be tuned for their environments to compensate for this variation in wavelength. Both are effects of air density's influence on wavelength as the carrier frequency is constant.

Bringing this back to the ear; the conversion of acoustic energy to neural transmission is a function of the wave's length, not it's frequency. In general we think of wavelength and frequency as being just the inverse of each other, so this subtly typically doesn't matter. But there is a difference. And as a result, a shorter wavelength will be interpreted as a higher frequency.

Of course, I am simplifying...

Archived