I Know We All Agreed to Practice. . .

Howie22

• Members

. . .but now I've got this other thing going on I get tired of that one. Last week we all agreed what day we would rehearse this week. This week rolls around and now it's "Oh, I can't do it this week, I've got something going on that night." Okay, so either you agreed without even checking your schedule, you didn't write it down and forgot, or you knew we had practice scheduled and decided something else was more important. Any of those reasons makes you kind of a jerk when several other people are building their schedules based on your availability.

• Members

If you are band leader, you need to take action. Think of yourself as the coach and your player just disrespected your agreement and decided to not show up for game time. Any coach worth his weight in leadership will bench that player next game. Just how the ball rolls...If your not the band leader, well, good luck. I've been in your shoes. It sucks. Boy does it ever. Sure does ruin the expectations doesn't it? Bust your balls for nothing, all that wasted time.... Well think of it this way you just made yourself a better musician.

• Members

People who cancel at the last minute or who are perpetually late need to understand how inconsiderate they are being of others. It's selfish and rude. One of the guys in my band is one of those guys who is late for everything. He'll be late for his own funeral. What I try to impress upon him is that I couldn't care less if he's late for stuff, or to what degree it f's up his own life, but when it starts inconveniencing ME, then we have an issue.

That's worked for him to a large degree because he's a nice guy and doesn't want to inconvenience anyone. I don't think people like that stop to think about how everyone else feels waiting around for them to show up. (Even though they are often to first people to notice if THEY are ever left waiting...)

We all have busy schedules. We all put aside other things to make time for rehearsal. We all have other things we'd rather be doing. Make sure your guy knows this.

• Members
If you are band leader, you need to take action. Think of yourself as the coach and your player just disrespected your agreement and decided to not show up for game time. Any coach worth his weight in leadership will bench that player next game. Just how the ball rolls...If your not the band leader, well, good luck. I've been in your shoes. It sucks. Boy does it ever. Sure does ruin the expectations doesn't it? Bust your balls for nothing, all that wasted time.... Well think of it this way you just made yourself a better musician.

Yeah, it does suck having to reschedule everything. I think the guy's problem is just that he doesn't log anything into a calendar.

I am band leader, but this guy and I are also good friends. Makes it tough. I've kinda been idle and let a lot of things roll up to this point.

• Members

It will come to a head eventually..............we have a player that missed a bunch of practices. Come to find out it was because he didnt like the songs we were trying to learn. As a dance band everyone in the band does songs we dont particularly care for at one time or another....its part of the gig. After a few months of being out of the loop it came to a near boil........his replacement starts in October. ...;)

Archived