Pay To Play At the Upper Echelons?

Opus Antics

• Members

I just read this:

...this year’s [NFL Super Bowl] halftime show has come with a new planning wrinkle, one so astoundingly filled with transparent greed that it’s surprising even for Czar Roger Goodell. According to the Wall Street Journal, the league wants the acts to consider paying them for the privilege of getting to play the Super Bowl, either by contributing cash from their ensuing post-Super Bowl tour, or some other type of monetary submission...There’s no mention of charity, no hint of what sort of percentage the league would be looking for from the band’s “tour income.”

Apparently the three finalists the NFL is considering are Coldplay, Rihanna and Katy Perry. Think they'll pay to play?

• Members

I doubt it. But who knows in this day and age? I understand the NFLs argument that whoever plays the SB will generate some more tour revenue than they would otherwise and they want a chunk of that.

OTHO, they need to understand that if not for the big concert performance, no one would be watching their $4,000,000 a half-minute ads during the Halftime Break because most of the viewers would either be taking a crap or will have switched over to the Puppy Bowl.

• Members
OTHO, they need to understand that if not for the big concert performance, no one would be watching their $4,000,000 a half-minute ads during the Halftime Break because most of the viewers would either be taking a crap or will have switched over to the Puppy Bowl.

Exactly! The NFL gets a lot of mileage out of having a big name half time act. Gets the non-football people (the ones just there to watch the commercials) involved, and keeps people watching during halftime. Without a big name act, people are doing exactly what you said.

and it's not like Katy Perry is begging for some "exposure". Whether she plays the halftime show or not, her concerts will sell out. Is it great pub? Sure. But she doesn't need it. And I'll be shocked and disappointed if this gets any traction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This thread reminded me of meeting a guy in line to see Volbeat last year. His Seattle based band had paid to be the second (of two) openers for a lower A, higher B level national act. I don't recall the band, sorry. <1000 capacity venues, they had to drive their own van and trailer, setup/teardown. I think they were fed, but no lodging.

He said it was a wonderful experience, even with the great expense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's become a problem at all levels. We've been hearing for years... "exposure opportunity".. or some other BS. I haven't paid to play since 2009, when I learned my lesson for the last time. Pay me or screw off is my motto. Except for charity gigs, but those are just free, not P2P, and we limit those to only a couple per year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, it looks like the good guys won...for this year. Katy Perry is playing and without pay to play. Hopefully that puts an end to that:

"And no, she’s not paying her way to the stage, as was rumored to be the NFL ’s plan this year. “I’m not the kind of girl who would pay to play the Super Bowl,” [Katy] Perry told ESPN. We look forward to seeing more of this."

• Members

It also should be noted that I don't think artists are paid to perform at the Grammys, the MTV Music Awards or even by the David Letterman Show. Unless there is some sort of "scale" rate they are required to be paid by union contract or some such.

But there are certainly different levels of "For The Exposure" type performances. It's one thing to play for "the exposure" at the annual local fireman's BBQ. It's another to play before hundreds of millions around the world on television. I don't think there has ever been an artist who performed at one of these things that didn't sell a ton of CDs the following week or two. Katy Perry will almost certainly earn more money due to playing at the Super Bowl than she would have playing in even Madison Square Garden the same night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

As much as I hate to say this, it's pretty much the norm for lower-level and newly-signed bands to pay to get on tours - even club tours. Of course, this is justified by the "exposure" you'll supposedly get. But let's say, for instance, you buy onto the Warped Tour. Even if you get on one of the bigger side stages, you'll only play for 30-200 people. And some of those smaller side stages are hidden away pretty good. On those, you might be lucky to play for 5 cows.

In my opinion, the only time it makes sense to buy onto a tour is if you want to get some touring experience. Or maybe make some contacts. In the case of the Warped Tour, you do get fed, but that's just about it. You have to have your own van, RV, bus, or whatever.

Most bands won't admit they bought onto a tour and even if they do, they'll probably say they were "chosen." Right. They were "chosen" because they had the money to buy on.

Archived