Remember that build I was gonna do?

kwakatak

• Members

This is after round 3 of French polishing. Wet sanding with mineral spirits has really made a difference. I’m about to do the 5th and final round today then moving on to the back, but the problem there is that while sanding it the purfling has come out. 

it’s always something. 😒

4248BAB7-4752-454D-B877-DDC7D8C553D9.jpeg

FAFAAEB1-1C08-4A83-90AF-DD2DC77994D0.jpeg

• Members
On 4/26/2022 at 6:30 PM, daddymack said:

you needed Deep Purfle....:music024:

I like the sheen on the wood:thu:..and don't be inhaling that denatured alcohol....don't ask why I say that...

Yes, I'm happy with it as well. I'm at 5 sessions and I think that's enough - at least for the top as a whole. There are still some small indentations in the wood that I will try to fill with CA glue and do another 2 spot sessions then it's on to buffing. I have a small buffing wheel on my cordless RYOBI drill and some Maguires for that job.

BTW, I make it a point to wear 5mil blue nitrile gloves and close the jar after taking just a few drops in the pad. As always, I have a KN95 at the ready.

• Thanks 1

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

I worked with and around solvents and acids most of my career. I applaud your safety steps, however, mason jars are not recommended for storage of flammables...just a FYI:cool2:

You realize that I live in upper Appalachia, right? Next time I'll use the real homemade stuff. 😉

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

that stuff is better to strip finishes, in my limited experience...sm-rotfl

Same difference. I used alcohol as a solvent to dissolve the shellac. I keep the straight stuff on hand so that I spirit off the olive oil - and even then only a drop or two at a time. I put it in the jar so that I could use a pipette. 

• Like 2