Vertex Scam- Anyone following this?

StrangeC

• Members
On the positive side this kind of commercial desperation signals a return to basics' date=' not in terms of circuits but products and marketing.[/quote']

Great so everybody should assure the institution ala Wife & offspring, investments, taxable income, that were taking one step forward and two steps back...:lol:...

• Members

Now if you could all just, and get on w/ bad self, dig, ~~TDRSS lightcurve for Trigger=554491

Notes:

•1) None of the TDRSS light curves are background subtracted.

GCN BAT Position Notice

TITLE: GCN/SWIFT NOTICE

NOTICE_DATE: Thu 25 Apr 13 19:15:41 UT

NOTICE_TYPE: Swift-BAT GRB Position

TRIGGER_NUM: 554491, Seg_Num: 0

GRB_RA: 266.412d {+17h 45m 39s} (J2000),

266.624d {+17h 46m 30s} (current),

265.618d {+17h 42m 28s} (1950)

GRB_DEC: -28.990d {-28d 59' 22"} (J2000),

-28.994d {-28d 59' 38"} (current),

-28.970d {-28d 58' 12"} (1950)

GRB_ERROR: 3.00 [arcmin radius, statistical only]

GRB_INTEN: 267 [cnts] Image_Peak=48 [image_cnts]

TRIGGER_DUR: 0.032 [sec]

TRIGGER_INDEX: 10318 E_range: 25-100 keV

BKG_INTEN: 25652 [cnts]

BKG_TIME: 69309.51 SOD {19:15:09.51} UT

BKG_DUR: 8 [sec]

GRB_DATE: 16407 TJD; 115 DOY; 13/04/25

GRB_TIME: 69324.87 SOD {19:15:24.87} UT

GRB_PHI: -51.57 [deg]

GRB_THETA: 0.02 [deg]

SOLN_STATUS: 0x10D

RATE_SIGNIF: 14.24 [sigma]

IMAGE_SIGNIF: 8.09 [sigma]

MERIT_PARAMS: +0 +0 +95 -5 +2 -2 +0 +1 +62 +0

SUN_POSTN: 33.43d {+02h 13m 44s} +13.43d {+13d 26' 00"}

SUN_DIST: 128.49 [deg] Sun_angle= 8.5

(West of Sun)

MOON_POSTN: 212.74d {+14h 10m 58s} -14.35d {-14d 21' 16"}

MOON_DIST: 51.71 [deg]

MOON_ILLUM: 100 [%]

GAL_COORDS: 359.96, -0.03 [deg] galactic lon,lat of the burst (or transient)

ECL_COORDS: 266.85, -5.59 [deg] ecliptic lon,lat of the burst (or transient)

COMMENTS: SWIFT-BAT GRB Coordinates.

COMMENTS: This is a rate trigger.

COMMENTS: A point_source was found.

COMMENTS: This matches a source in the on-board catalog: Num=10588=1E_1742.5-2859, delta=0.105 [deg].

COMMENTS: This matches a source in the ground catalog: IGR J17456-2901, delta=0.031 [deg].

COMMENTS: This is not a GRB.

COMMENTS: This trigger occurred at longitude,latitude = 59.64,-8.40 [deg].

GCN BAT Lightcurve Notice

TITLE: GCN/SWIFT NOTICE

NOTICE_DATE: Thu 25 Apr 13 19:32:32 UT

NOTICE_TYPE: Swift-BAT GRB Lightcurve

TRIGGER_NUM: 554491, Seg_Num: 0

GRB_RA: 266.412d {+17h 45m 39s} (J2000),

266.624d {+17h 46m 30s} (current),

265.618d {+17h 42m 28s} (1950)

GRB_DEC: -28.990d {-28d 59' 22"} (J2000),

-28.994d {-28d 59' 38"} (current),

-28.970d {-28d 58' 12"} (1950)

GRB_DATE: 16407 TJD; 115 DOY; 13/04/25

GRB_TIME: 69325.04 SOD {19:15:25.04} UT

TRIGGER_INDEX: 10318

GRB_PHI: -51.57 [deg]

GRB_THETA: 0.02 [deg]

DELTA_TIME: 48.00 [sec]

TRIGGER_DUR: 0.032 [sec]

SOLN_STATUS: 0x10D

RATE_SIGNIF: 14.24 [sigma]

IMAGE_SIGNIF: 8.09 [sigma]

LC_URL: sw00554491000msb.lc

Initial TDRSS lightcurve and spacecraft attitude plot

TDRSS lightcurve from T0-30 to T0+50 (zoom in)

TDRSS light curve from T0-1 to T0+2 (More zoom in)

1.6s binned TDRSS light curve

Extended TDRSS light curve and spacecraft attitude plot(s)

Extended TDRSS lc No.1

Extended TDRSS lc No.2

Extended TDRSS lc No.3

Extended TDRSS lc No.4

Plot creation:

Thu Apr 25 15:32:44 EDT 2013

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I followed it from a safe distance

but I'm going to read the whole story now that

9-6-2014

AN OPEN LETTER FROM MICHAEL LANDAU.

This letter is in response to the recent events surrounding Mason Marangella and Vertex Effects. I first became aware of the drama concerning the Vertex Wah Wahs through Clif Jones on August 16th. I was late hearing the news because I had been on tour and I’m not a regular on the gear forums. The news was not good, this was exactly the type of drama that has kept me far away from guitar pedal endorsements for most of my life up until recently.

Since I’ve never actually owned a production model Vertex Axis Wah, I anonymously purchased one 12 days ago so I could have it compared to the BBE Ben Wah by a reliable source whom I’ve known for many years,

I wanted to have a first hand account of the results. The results show that the Vertex Axis Wah I recently purchased was identical to the BBE Ben Wah.

Obviously I can’t be involved with a company or associated with a person who runs his company like this,

so officially as of 9-6-2014, I no longer formally endorse any Vertex products.

I would like to state the following facts for clarity:

- I am not an electrical engineer, the only time I open up a pedal is to change the battery.

- I have never used, nor have I ever endorsed any of the production model Vertex Wah Wahs.

- The Wah Wah that has been on my pedalboard since January 2013 is an old Dunlop Cry Baby that was modified by Mason, I don’t know the specifics of the mods, it sounds good to me, it does have a Vertex sticker on it from when Mason worked on it a couple of years ago.

- I do not use, nor have I ever endorsed the Vertex cables.

- I use the Vertex Landau Boost because I love the EXP volume control function.

- I use the Vertex Volume pedal only as an EXP pedal for the Landau Boost.

As of 9-3-2014 , I have instructed Mason to give all of the dealers and distributers a 30 day notice

stating that the Vertex Landau Boost and the Vertex Landau Chorus will be discontinued.

Out of respect to the entire guitar community:

If anyone wants to return their Vertex Landau Boost or Vertex Landau Chorus and is having a problem doing so through Vertex or the dealer they purchased it from, please contact Clif @ L.A. Vintage Gear and I will personally provide a full refund.

Michael Landau

• Members

and not much later ...

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry to be chiming in so late but I must warn all you fellow gear nerds to stay away from Vertex effects and pedalboard services. Mason is not truthful nor is his work good or in most cases his own. He had me on his site without permission as a user and happy customer. I am/was neither happy nor do I use any of his products. My pedalboard sounded awful, took tons of gain away, and added a huge ground hum. It also cost $1400 and that was after I pitched a fit when the $2000 bill came to my tour manager all the while seeing unauthorized You Tube videos of my " new rig" a rig I never tried nor signed off on. Fortunately Dave Friedman at Rack Systems came in and saved the day for $400. All I wanted and asked for was to have some cables cut to size. I didn't want to waste Dave's time so I gave it to Mason. BIG MISTAKE.... I am very disturbed by his actions and have heard recently that he has been called out on some Wah Wah pedal stuff. Bad News Bear that cat is unfortunately.

So... In closing...

Just trying to keep my fellow guitar nerds from getting ripped off like I was.

Caveat Emptor

Joe Bonamassa

• Members

and now this (you can read the full text on that other forum

Axis Wah Announcement - Coming Clean

Dear internet community, musicians, artists, and dealers,

I am here to be completely honest and forthcoming about everything that has occurred over the past two months with my company, without the help from any marketer or PR representative and write to you directly from the heart.

I had a conversation yesterday with a friend of mine, who is also a member on many of the forums which Vertex has been the topic of discussion. He too is a small business owner, and has had first hand experience in dealing with a business that had to address issues of integrity. He told me a story about a former employee who plagiarized years worth of articles in his magazine, got caught, and continued to lie about where the articles were taken from. Even when confronted with the evidence, this person was not capable of telling the truth, and just could not face the reality of his actions. When hearing this, I saw myself, and realized, “I’m that guy!”

I’ve yet to listen to my own heart. I ignored the voice of my higher power and allowed my ego to dictate my response instead of speaking the truth. I am here to set the record straight about me and my company, no matter the consequences:

Me (Mason Marangella)

I did go to the University of California, Berkeley and graduated with a BA in Sociology and a minor in Education. I do not have a degree in electrical engineering and did not clearly represent this to my customers, dealers, and artists. Although I have many skills of my own as an electronic designer, I’m not nearly as skilled as the engineers that have been supporting me in developing the Vertex products.

Ken Volpe

Ken has been a long time friend who has great sales experience, and offered his help in finding new dealers for Vertex products and supporting dealer relationships. He has only been working with Vertex since April of this year.

Ken had no idea what was going on with the Axis Wah, nor did I make him aware of what the product was in any way. Any information that he passed on to dealers was based solely on what I told him. His involvement in the company was strictly to work with dealers and be a representative; however, in light of the Axis Wah controversy he started to defend me, believing me when I said the things that were being written about me and Vertex on the forums were untrue. He is my friend, and wanted to support me, and I let him down by not clearly telling him the truth and allowing him to separate himself from the company before he became implicated in the Axis Wah controversy.

Michael Landau

Michael Landau and Vertex are parting ways, and both of his signature products, the Landau Boost and Landau Chorus, will no longer be produced after this final run releases this month.

Michael Landau has been instrumental in helping me grow my business and develop products over the last several years. He’s been incredibly generous with his time, guidance, and friendship to me, and I am forever grateful.

He trusted me with his name and allowed me the opportunity to do two signature products with him. I damaged his trust, our business relationship, and our friendship by my choice to market and sell a rebranded product in the Axis Wah, which ultimately damaged the credibility of my company and called into question the validity of his signature products despite being one of a kind, unique products.

I know that Michael and I both believe in the quality and sound of the products that we created together- they are incredible. However, I understand that being associated with me and Vertex calls into question his integrity, and this is certainly not what Michael signed on for, and in no way does he deserve to have his name disparaged on account of my actions.

I will always consider Michael to be a friend and wish him nothing but the best. He has inspired me in so many ways since I was a 6 years old: listening to his rich ambient guitar tones on James Taylor’s “New Moon Shine” cassette tape that my parents would play in their old Nissan Sentra with my brother and I in the back seat. As I developed as a guitar player and listener of music, I got into Michael’s solo career and the rest was history. I can’t go a week without listening to something that Michael has played on. It’s truly been a privilege and an honor to work with Michael over the last few year and have been some of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Vertex Axis Wah

The Axis Wah is a rebranded BBE Ben Wah. The following things were changed: LED, Bottom Plate, Rubber Footpad, control knob, faceplate, and Wah pot on the NOS version only (changed to a different 100K S-taper pot). The silk screening was removed from the enclosures as was the metal emblem riveted into the top of the footpad. We would adjust the pot to give the wah a more full-range sweep, but this could have also been done by the customer themselves. All of the aesthetic changes and parts manufactured for the changes were done in California, except for the Wah pot on the NOS Wah that was sourced in the USA, but likely from Taiwan or China.

I got a hold of a BBE Wah pedals several years ago and found them to be really great examples of the vintage Vox tone, but looked awful. I was working on a wah of my own at the time, but needed more time and money to develop it, and thought that this would be a good springboard to get a wah product out there to help launch my future wah down the road. I experimented with a few different changes (above) to improve the aesthetics and make it look classy, and it became my best selling product. As much as I wanted to continue to develop my own Wah design, the Axis Wah seemed to pick up more and more traction each month and would push my own design efforts back. My idea was that I would just clear out my existing inventory of Axis Wahs, but this never happened. The product was selling well, customers liked it, and I was too oblivious to admit or acknowledge that I was selling a lie.

Summary

I was dishonest in the marketing of the Axis Wah. As a businessman I have an obligation to fully disclose the nature of my products to my customers and I did not. On top of it, I lied when questions arose about the origin of the product and didn’t identify the Axis Wah as a rebranded pedal. I dishonored my friends, allies, customers, artists, and family by not disclosing this, and moreover by not being culpable immediately once these facts were apparent. My fears and insecurities as a human being and how it would impact me trumped the necessity to be honest and truthful. I have no excuse.

This has been something that I’ve struggled with my entire life, and I feel that God, The Universe, Karma, or whatever dogma you subscribe to has been trying to tell me to “WAKE UP”,and it has taken something as momentous as this for me to finally “get it”.

It is truly the most difficult experience that I have had in my life, but has also taught me the most important lesson in my life: there is no gray area in the truth. You are either 100% truthful or you are not, there is nothing in between. There isn’t always immediate gratification in the truth, sometimes it sucks, and sometimes things don’t get better right away, or at all, but standing in the space of honesty and truth is the only place where I can be free.

Moving Forward

I will work tirelessly to make customers who purchased the Axis Wah whole again. It is going to be a long and arduous process. I’m working now on securing funding so that I can begin offering refunds to customers that purchased the Axis Wah, as there was no integrity behind the sale of this product. I fully recognize that I need to seek guidance and do some intensive work on myself and really get to the core of my behavior and how I can address this problem I have moving forward. All I ask is for time and your patience in getting money back to Axis Wah owners.

If you are an owner of the Vertex cable(s), please also feel free to contact me as I did not describe that my supplier was Belden, the cable was a coax, and misrepresented the directional functionality of the cable as a result of not being twisted pair shielded.

• Members

I've read every last post on this thread at the other place. I got sick of it. Good on you Bieke for passing along the scam, but TGP has been obsessed with it. I hope we can still discuss gear, shampoozies, indie cred and RoboPimp Vs Goodhonk over here.

One of your photo threads would be right up my alley at the present...

Archived