OT: new roof.

• Members

Finally getting my roof reshingled next week. The good: getting the architectural style shingles, going from black to a mid-grey. The bad: $10,000. It should have been done a couple years ago but I was expanding my sound/light rig, so the money just wasn't there. Finally I'm getting it done next week. It's such a relief to me. Whenever we get big windstorms, tabs would always blow off my roof, and id be picking them up off the ground. No more. I'm going with a grey that's a bit lighter, then I'm gong to reprint it. It's white plaster and at 35years + it's showing its age. Here's a before and what I hope will be after. The grey I'm going with will be leas blue-ish and more grey. That's just the program I used. I'm pretty excited about it. (The roof is from the program but a close to how it will look) Before: 13CDEEA4-6FA9-41F1-91DA-E120A858DBAB-1050-000000AD83F4C82C_zps1308bbce.jpg After: the arches and garage will be a touch lighter to bring out that plane. <a href=35A633E0-E1D0-41B6-BB74-60BBE81A2759.jpg

• Members

Make sure you pop for fiberglass shingles, and not asphalt. 10Gs, wow, that's a bundle. Not completely out of line, though. What's a bundle of shingles going for these days? $25 or so? I did my house and garage in steel a couple of years ago for 14. Looks like we have similar areas. With the steel roof, I got a continuous ridge vent. Looks like you must have vents on the back side there?

Wes

• Members

That sounds about right for a re-roof. Most roofers around here are charging about $25 a bundle for installation on a new roof and an additional $15 or so for the removal of the old shingles. They usually have some hefty dump fees to pay to dispose of the old shingles.

Tin roofs don't work as well in our climate as they do in other areas, unless you spring for the site fabricated system with the hidden fasteners. The roof is only as good as the little rubber washers that seal the fasteners on a tin roof. Repeated freeze thaw cycles and the scorching sun in summer take their toll on the fasteners. In Saskatchewan the tin roofs don't last any longer than the asphalt shingles.

Neil

• Moderators
Finally getting my roof reshingled next week. The good: getting the architectural style shingles' date=' going from black to a mid-grey. The bad: $10,000. It should have been done a couple years ago but I was expanding my sound/light rig, so the money just wasn't there. Finally I'm getting it done next week. It's such a relief to me. Whenever we get big windstorms, tabs would always blow off my roof, and id be picking them up off the ground. No more. I'm going with a grey that's a bit lighter, then I'm gong to reprint it. It's white plaster and at 35years + it's showing its age. Here's a before and what I hope will be after. The grey I'm going with will be leas blue-ish and more grey. That's just the program I used. I'm pretty excited about it. (The roof is from the program but a close to how it will look) Before: [img']http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/13CDEEA4-6FA9-41F1-91DA-E120A858DBAB-1050-000000AD83F4C82C_zps1308bbce.jpg[/img] After: the arches and garage will be a touch lighter to bring out that plane. <a href=35A633E0-E1D0-41B6-BB74-60BBE81A2759.jpg

Nice ^^^

Did you consider painting the front porch posts/arches the contrasting trim white like the garage doors? I think that would make the whole thing pop a bit more.

• Members

I really should of had my roof reshingled about 3-4 years ago, but there was always something on the list ahead of it. Finally I got to it this year. The roof was really bad. 4BA9046D-6AC7-411B-9963-EA05844099F7.jpg5EB38AD2-ED20-4B4A-8B72-3E3292C7CAA1.jpg The roofers started fri at 4pm. They got the top stripped and prepped, and the rear faces stripped, and prepped by the end of the day. A12CA305-E922-479A-858E-130BD7E09D7C.jpg

• Members

Back at it Saturday, got the top shingled, the rear prepped and shingled and the front stripped. 13A66AB8-CBEE-4EDD-863E-4DA77F311ACF.jpgBDE7108D-D692-44C4-97E0-242F7C9557E1.jpg Bit of a problem, we noticed a soft spot when he took a look to estimate the job. Wasn't sure if it was rot from water damage or what... 6F703259-472C-4D59-9725-7934E19EB771.jpg Stripped it off to take a look, the sheeting seemed ok, but it was still soft. 9B22EDF8-05CD-4293-A170-B14A89A08B59.jpg

• Members

Here's a quick before and after looking out the one window. The shingles were SO done. 08FDBAF4-4F17-4272-B765-DA53B54EA111.jpg Pic taken as they were working on it. 6F56A806-5FCD-481A-8F8F-D50E0BE1C1FB.jpg It's just SUCH a relief to have it done. Now that worry is over. Thankfully there wasn't any roof damage besides that truss. No water damage or anything. The weather was hot all weekend, no rain, a bit of a breeze, so it all worked out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

To be a complete pedant dick, the piece that broke is not a truss, I am guessing that it was used as a rafter (the other end should sit on a plate with a bird's mouth cut). The amount of curl on those shingles is impressive. When I see that, the first thing I ask about is venting. That sort of stuff happens most often when lots of summer heat gets trapped in the space below the shingles. Even a pair of gable vents would make a huge difference if there is no other way to vent the air.

Wes

• Members

Yeah when I bought the house in 05, they said there was about 5 years left on the roof, so it as 4 hears after that that I finally got it done. The roofer replaced the whirlybirds on top with a different type of vent that's better.

Archived