Insurance providers

• Members

You can join the Screen Actors Guild through the production side; they have access to a lot of programs that are at significant savings over what you can get privately. If it matters to you, this will also entitle you to get on the call list for shows (depending where you live) which is a good way to get to see really large gear setups up close and network with people that can send work your way.

• Members

I strongly suggest to shop around... and let the insurance salespeople know you're shopping around.

This subject (insurance) happened to be our morning coffee talk subject this morning... as we recently received our annual business policy renewal package complete with an approx. 40% rate increase.  I called our insurance agent yesterday to go over the policy and discuss a number of specifics including the rate increase.  Our agent offered seemingly justifiable and reasonable sounding explanations for everything... none of the explanations included anything what-so-ever that qualified our business as a higher risk level... so the rate increase didn't make seem to make sense... to me anyway... but he had his explanations.  I inquired about raising many (virtually all) of the deductables in a effort to get that premium down below it's current gag threshold, and he explained that raising the deductables would actually increase our rates, because (as our agent explained):  "fewer companies offer higher deductables, so their rates would be higher".  His explanation almost made sense to me... till I thought about it.  I came to the realization (right, wrong, or otherwise) that if a salesman offers a seemingly nonsensical explanation for something that seems to defy logic, and you buy the explanation and cave-in (and just write the check)... then chances are "bingo":  They've got you right were they want you... and they'll just keep dipping out of your well (with larger and larger buckets) until you decide enough is enough and you decide to take a path of higher resistance.

I dunno... maybe I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth?

• Members

I'm of the impression that there's actually just a few business insurance underwriters (companies who issue the policy).  Chances are you won't deal direct with the underwriter, but rather you'll be dealing with an agent.  I've found there's pluses and minuses dealing with (small) local agencies or dealing with (large) regional or national level agencies.

• Members

Julie Coulter -- previously from MusicPro Insurance.

julie@jcoulterco.com

Super easy to work with and she's usually quick to respond to requests.   We have equipment and liability insurance,  underwritten by Nationwide thru her....    pretty reasonable rates too!

Archived