Vai was promoting this guy

Floyd Rosenbomb

• Members

Yeah,scalloped fat strat looks like fun, I think he stays on the bridge throughout, not that I'm good enough to take full advantage.

Technically very proficient but is he taking anything forward or just repeating? I feel he needs a bit of Allan Holdsworth influence as well as Vai to take him somewhere new

• Members
Yeah,scalloped fat strat looks like fun, I think he stays on the bridge throughout, not that I'm good enough to take full advantage.

Technically very proficient but is he taking anything forward or just repeating? I feel he needs a bit of Allan Holdsworth influence as well as Vai to take him somewhere new

Why Holdsworth specifically?

• Members

The first thing I see is freaky spider fingers. mf'er.

2nd thing I hear is good tone. For this style.

3rd thing is...find what you do well and do it well. This might be the hardest thing. He doesn't try to be Joe Bonamassa or SRV or Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix or even Alan Holdsworth. . He's not even really Vai. But no matter..he's good at what he's doing....and that is what catches our ear. That is the lesson I learn and have to relearn always. Not how good you are, but how good you do what you do. Subtle difference...but crucial.

• Members

To move things a few degrees in a jazz direction and shift some passages away from notes to chords to add dynamics to the work. Holdsworh uses very interesting chords.

Here he is in a improvisational jazz setting. He can hang, but he's got no groove.

Archived