another NGD: 1964 Firebird III

Hiwatt Bob

• Members

it's been so long, I thought I'd boast some more.

plays amazing and the pickups sound ridiculously good as well. other than a little bucklerash and some pickguard shrinkage/cracks, it's in very good condish. so stoked!

9D6701A3-ADB6-4E9C-B467-DEE7D4C48351_zpsm5g9qlzg.jpg

F6A9BFEB-77F6-4FD5-A159-9DBED2F200CC_zps0itetmwd.jpg

also, don't worry, another NGD should be coming tomorrow. stay tuned.

• Members

~~

congrats bob. hey' date=' don't you have a non-reverse fb in green?[/quote']

honk--I missed you like the desert miss the rain.

I do have a non-reverse firebird iii, but unfortunately it is not in green. and it's pretty butchered--horrible brown refin, non orig tuners, bridge, vibrola, etc. but since it was butchered--I had them rewire it in a really cool way. basically the bottom 3 knobs are corresponding vol knobs for each pickup--the one knob up top is a universal tone control. the middle pickup volume is a push/pull pot, so I can engage it in whatever pickup combination (it's a 3 way switch like a typical 2-pickup guitar, bridge/bridge&neck/neck). so like if I have it in the middle with bridge&neck selected, I can pull the middle pu vol up and run all 3 pickups together. gets some weird phasing, but if you roll it off just slightly it's a really full spectrum sound.

FD6080AB-4211-4225-8522-8E27EEA92B70-992-00000090B1FE1AA4.jpg

• Members
~~

honk--I missed you like the desert miss the rain.

I do have a non-reverse firebird iii, but unfortunately it is not in green. and it's pretty butchered--horrible brown refin, non orig tuners, bridge, vibrola, etc. but since it was butchered--I had them rewire it in a really cool way. basically the bottom 3 knobs are corresponding vol knobs for each pickup--the one knob up top is a universal tone control. the middle pickup volume is a push/pull pot, so I can engage it in whatever pickup combination (it's a 3 way switch like a typical 2-pickup guitar, bridge/bridge&neck/neck). so like if I have it in the middle with bridge&neck selected, I can pull the middle pu vol up and run all 3 pickups together. gets some weird phasing, but if you roll it off just slightly it's a really full spectrum sound.

FD6080AB-4211-4225-8522-8E27EEA92B70-992-00000090B1FE1AA4.jpg

Even more sweet dude, I did a gig with Clarence Gatemouth Brown back around 90/91, coolest cat ever that pipe he was known for was filled that night w/ some of my best cannabis avail...Good times...

Are you considering starting a school of rawk w/ said collection?

• Members
I've always thought Firebirds were cool, never got to play one, are they uncomfortable? The Thunderbird basses have always felt uncomfortable to me.

The reverse T-bird that has neck dive can be a bit hard to handle compared to a reverse Firebird. However, the non-reverse Firebird and Thunderbirds were often generally better handling and more comfortable for some people. It's too bad that Gibson has rarely given any acknowledgement to reissuing the non-reverse Firebird and Thunderbird during the past 40 or so years since they quit making the non-reverse models.

• Members

I've got a '67 NR-firebird, and to me, the neck-dive is negligible.

I had an early 80's Burny repro of Bob's new instrument.... it was a bit more unstable in the balance, to me.

Not really neck-divey, but then I play a pretty muscular form of rhythm... try on a PV T-40 if you really want to build up your forearms.