What happened to This place

Guggleflub

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members
Holy crap...first time on here for a really long time, and it's a ghosttown! What the...?

first time on here and you found an old thread. LOL. Interesting.

You do realize that you are the answer to the OP question. At least a part of it.

• Members

New family in your old house now. You moved away, we moved in.

All the 'old' people who come on here tell you how 'great' it was while describing a nightmare of drivel overposting, cliques and flame wars.

I prefer it like it is today.

• Members

All the 'old' people who come on here tell you how 'great' it was while describing a nightmare of drivel overposting, cliques and flame wars.

While I agree there were flame wars and cliques I think its a shadow of what it once was. People are still in their own camps, although not to the same extent.

The threads and discussion were far more interesting though. Some OT but guitar related. Rock v punk, short scale vs whatever. The impact of prs in the market. Gigging volumes and restrictions. People like CSM sharing anecdotes and videos Of their live gigs.

The place had a life that it just doesn't have now. Not in my veiw anyway.

• Members

While I agree there were flame wars and cliques I think its a shadow of what it once was. People are still in their own camps, although not to the same extent.

The threads and discussion were far more interesting though. Some OT but guitar related. Rock v punk, short scale vs whatever. The impact of prs in the market. Gigging volumes and restrictions. People like CSM sharing anecdotes and videos Of their live gigs.

The place had a life that it just doesn't have now. Not in my veiw anyway.

I hesitated to even look at an old thread on this topic, but since it is so slow now, I thought, "what the hey".

Yeah the place is now more civil, far less flaming, but now you know it's because the folks here don't dare scare away the few active contributors. And "cliques"?, hell yeah, more so than an all girls junior high. There was a lot of close knit mutual d**k suckers here which I found annoying or trite at best. But yet it was so fast past that you really could get to know some good folks here through active discussions on the threads. I probably miss that part the most. Mostly the continued system problems and to some degree, some over active moderation was driving away some good folks, (and then there were always those that absolutely needed the ban hammer). I've recently started poking around here again a bit more. Still feel there may be something I can contribute from my experiences or learn from others, but it's now like watching grass grow. Used to be the only time this place got slow was on a Friday night, when most folks would "get a life". But even then the posts were running about 10x faster.

For the most part, I think it's a bit of a phase/ride that's past. Yeah, I see them over at MWGL forums, but where I used to be able to be entertained for a good chunk of time on the topics, there's only so many "let's see your green guitars" types of threads one can visit in a life time. And yes, losing folks like CSM who had good stories, or some of the lively exuberant characters like JJ or Batotman didn't help either.

Prognosis uncertain. Thanks to Ratae for hangin in here.

• Members

First time in a long time.

You do realize that I couldn't give two ****************s, right?

Exactly, that's what I was saying..."a long time". It's what it is today because people like you didn't come back. Then you bop in like "gee, nothings happening". Of course you gave enough ***********'s to check in...not sure HOW many but more than two, but not actually DO anything to grow the forum. Meh...let someone else do the work and I'll judge if it amuses me or not.

There's nothing wrong with that, do and be what you want. There's plenty of other places to be entertained fer sure. It's just such an interesting thought process. It is what it is.

• Members

Yes...first of all, the "old" H-C went through as lot of phases too. (yes, been here MUCH longer than my date shows). Several ups and downs. And "back in the day" the forum thing was kinda new and H-C was actually a fresh cool thing. People got burned out and many other places to visit and even create your own forums (like rigtalk and GAB!).

I kinda think we should consider ourselves lucky we were able to have the old HC rather than lament how horrible THIS is. "THIS" is more in character with a big global household-friendly forum. Rather than the free for all adult themed I.M. facebook-type thing we enjoyed for so long.

I still think H.C is a viable and worthy resource for meeting guitar folks and questions/answers. Color me stupid I guess.

• Members

I believe the pro-Nazi stance taken by a certain admin really made a lot of folks stop coming. When mods are making Holocaust jokes and posting pictures of themselves sporting Hitler mustaches it leaves a bad taste in decent folks' mouths.

That, coupled with the death of Ed Roman (RIP) eliminated 70% of all threads.

• Members

Those were the proverbial good Ol days! Yes, flame wars started, and 'clique's' formed, but there was also a Lot of build posts, gear raffles to benefit unfortunate members, gear donations to music schools, etc. It was a Community. We're all musicians, and that typically means that if you're more than the occasional hobbyist player, you're passionate about your craft, full of bias and opinions, and anytime that doesn't line up with others' bias and opinions, sometimes that leads to arguments. What community gets along ALL the time? Do you really want to? What would be the point of posting if we all had the same opinions?

The fact the forum changed So many times in a short period Really discouraged a lot of folks, including me. I couldn't sign in to 2.0, and didn't want a new handle, so I stayed away for a while, came back and saw people getting banned, as mentioned, for little of nothing - Mussolini was on the rampage - examples I guess. The powers that be wanted a different community. Not saying anythings technically wrong now, just different., definitely better than when threads were being locked at the first unpopular opinion, or comment.

I like the folks here, but miss the speed of the posts and replies of before. A thread now seems to be lucky to make three pages. Before, most had three pages in 30-45 minutes. But, like I said, its still got the best people posting, and that's cool. Alright, enough chick flick crap, back to the music thu.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdr3U-hsGS1n0D0LaM-98C53v5RL-wYVtFzlt9e0AHu0rAIWKgTQ Sexy!!thu.gif

I believe the pro-Nazi stance taken by a certain admin really made a lot of folks stop coming. When mods are making Holocaust jokes and posting pictures of themselves sporting Hitler mustaches it leaves a bad taste in decent folks' mouths.

I'd really like to know who you were referring to here. Please drop me a PM. I'd appreciate link(s) too, if you have them.

• Members

I'd really like to know who you were referring to here. Please drop me a PM. I'd appreciate link(s) too, if you have them.

It was a long standing, well respected mod who used to actively monitor the electric forum.

It was never as BG76 presents it. He has been banging on about it for years.

Archived