Geoff Emerick

• Members

Every now and then I have to start a thread about this guy's work.

I happened to hear a bit of Badfinger's "No Matter What" and I remembered how I was blown away by the Leslie guitar sound when the record came out. I wondered for a moment if it had been recorded by Geoff Emerick so later that day I looked it up.

Sure enough, he produced that track and, in looking at his credits, I realized that a great deal of music that I really liked and had a big influence on me when I was younger was recorded by him.

The Beatles stuff, especially "Abbey Road", had a profound influence on me as did such game changers as "Wired" and "Bridge of Sighs". There's something organic about the sound of his records that really stands the test of time.

He's definitely one of my all-time favorite engineers. Anyone who can walk in and, on their first day as the balance / 1st engineer for the Beatles, wax something like Tomorrow Never Knows has to have some serious skills. And then to record Revolver, and Sgt Pepper - all before reaching 22 years of age... amazing! Have a listen to Elvis Costello's Imperial Bedroom sometime - it's brilliant work!

• Members

The Beatles, Sir George, and Geoff, through their exploration are the reason we have what we have today, IMO. Did you ever read Mark Lewisohn's book; The Beatles Recording Sessions? He was given carte blanche to listen to the work tapes and did a track by track commentary on each song from the beginning to the end. What an eye, er, ear opener!

Yeah, Lewisohn's book is essential reading. I bought a copy right when it first came out. Another one that I highly recommend is Beatles Gear by Andy Babiuk. It covers the various instruments that the band used. For recording related stuff, nothing beats Recording The Beatles by Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew. It covers all the Abbey Road studio gear, and more besides. Just a tremendous book...

http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/

• Members
He's definitely one of my all-time favorite engineers. Anyone who can walk in and' date=' on their first day as the balance / 1st engineer for the Beatles, wax something like [b']Tomorrow Never Knows[/b] has to have some serious skills. And then to record Revolver, and Sgt Pepper - all before reaching 22 years of age... amazing! Have a listen to Elvis Costello's Imperial Bedroom sometime - it's brilliant work!

I just listened on K240's to "Tomorrow Never Knows" in Mono and then in stereo. Most songs from that era I prefer in Mono. That song sounds better in stereo to my ears. Interesting noises panned one way or another.

I'm not much of a Beatles' fan though. He really nailed the sound of a sitar though. That was the best thing about the song to me. The sitar sounded true.

• Members

He's definitely great. The only thing I don't appreciate is that he recorded a bunch of Beatles covers on film with contemporary artists at Abbey Road, but didn't allow the final film to be released because he didn't like some of the mixes. Who knows, maybe that's not the way it happened, but that's how he told the story at AES a few years ago. The film was shown on TV once and in screenings at the AES conference. I think you can see most of it on Youtube.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Mr. Emerick, knew how to get the best sound possible, he listened to the bands / artists wants and needs. Guys like him, Sir George Martin, Max Norman, Alan Parson, Michael Wagner, Martin Birch, Eddie Kramer and Bob Ezrin are geniuses that brought out the best in gear, motivating artist to play/ create better and capturing the magic we enjoy today.

Speaking of Geoff, goodhonk recently posted a video over on the Effects forum with various bands trying to recreate a track off of Sgt Pepper. They did it in Studio 3 at Abbey Road, on a J37 four track and old REDD console, with Richard Lush serving as the tape op, and Geoff Emerick serving as producer / engineer. I watched it last night and thought it was pretty interesting.

[video=youtube;b-tMEFLgxso]

Archived