Gear Guilt?

• Members

Well that is one way to do it. Even if it is the wrong way lol. The smart thing to do would be to trade in your yamahas and maybe one amp and with the $500.00 you were going to spend on the Driverack buy some good powered speakers. I have never used these but they are getting a lot of love on the internet.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-zlx-12p-12-2-way-powered-loudspeaker DSP already built in 3 year warranty and only weigh 34 pounds.

The Driveracks can be found for $149 these days. Apparently they've been replaced with newer models and those who still have older stock are blowing them out.

And I've never heard those EV speakers either, but yeah---they are getting a lot of love. I didn't realize they were only $399 each. That's a steal if they are anywhere close to as good as people say they are, for sure.

• Members

I have never played a show where we needed 105 dbs ,, and never seen a show where the lead player needed more than a hotrod deluxe. I have played some pretty big shows in the last few years. You get to a point where all you need to do is give them a good stage mix and let the big sound company do the heavy lifting.

Yep. that's why God invented PA systems.

I think the 'gear guilt' question is pretty easy. If you need the gear in order to do the gig properly, there's nothing at all to feel guilty about. Especially if you're earning money with it. But if it's the 12th axe in your arsenal? Yeah, that's probably where the guilt factor starts to creep in for some folks.

• Members

The Driveracks can be found for $149 these days. Apparently they've been replaced with newer models and those who still have older stock are blowing them out.

And I've never heard those EV speakers either, but yeah---they are getting a lot of love. I didn't realize they were only $399 each. That's a steal if they are anywhere close to as good as people say they are, for sure.

Well the one Wade is talking about is the new version and they are $500.00 online.

• Members

The guitar player in my Floyd band uses the ZLX112p for his rig. Rack mixer to control a lap steel, Strat, and acoustic. A digitech processor is in there somewhere. It sounds great. I've run my keys thru it at practice as well, a nice speaker for the $$.

My drummer in the party band just got the ELX115P's for our tops. I'm retiring the old Mackie Thumps we had been using. I might use them as monitors so we can stop carrying an amp around, and I'm thinking they'd be nice for the Floyd band so I can run in stereo and not use the IEM's for easy of setup when we do 1 set gigs. I'm also thinking about that Centerpoint Space Station stereo amp, once I sell off some other gear.

• Members

LOL to Wade's comment RE being broke as Hell is a pretty good cure for compulsive gear acquisition syndrome. But you can even get around that by horse trading etc. I sold a Korg M50-88 for $600 because that was the only way I could pick up a mint Yamaha S80 for $450. And I had $$ left over to get an EMU Proteus 2000 module with Mo Phatt and B3 expansion (did not have original Composer ROM). The only miscalculation is, I still have to use my CP300 for my country band gigs, because it is the only board left with a banjo sound lol.

It seems I'm going backwards to what I USED to use because I remember it working so well. At least I tend to get rid of what I do not use regularly.

• Members
I sold a Korg M50-88 for $600 because that was the only way I could pick up a mint Yamaha S80 for $450. And I had $$ left over to get an EMU Proteus 2000 module with Mo Phatt and B3 expansion (did not have original Composer ROM).

Nice! You got the Proteus with the B3 expansion for $150? Those B3 cards are hard to come by these days.

One of the aforementioned pieces of gear I can't part with but that doubt if I'll ever use again (at least not live--it's sitting in my home studio rack right now) is a Proteus 2000 with Mo Phatt and B3 and the Composer ROM and the Vintage Pro Keys ROM as well.

Well, actually I currently have the B3 card in the Mo Phatt case so I can better access it separately. One of the annoying things about the Proteus 2000 is I was able to run the B3 out of a separate output (so I could run it through the Leslie sim) but then I lose the on-board reverb. So I either had to carry a separate reverb unit for the B3 sounds or put the B3 ROM into a different module. Arrgggh! All that was fixed when I started using the Kronos, which has organ sounds I like as much (or more) than the EMU sounds. And I can run the on-board effects through the other outputs!

The Proteus stuff is great in many ways, but it does have some limitations common with gear from that time period. The biggest one being the effects outing which is very primitive. A lot of the patches are very dependent upon the effects and once you start trying to layer different patches, the sounds will often change radically because they all run through the effects setup of just one of the patches.

But as long as you don't try to do too much layering it's an awesome little unit.

I believe there's a decent banjo patch on the Planet Earth ROM. If you ever run across one of those cheap enough you can always put in the Proteus 2000. It has 4 ROM slots, IIRC. Why there isn't one on the stock Composer ROM is odd.

• Members
And I had $$ left over to get an EMU Proteus 2000 module with Mo Phatt and B3 expansion (did not have original Composer ROM)

Sorry, I should have said that after getting the S80, I had $$ left to get the Proteus (with Mo Phatt ROM, nothing else installed) outright, and still some after that to apply towards the B3 ROM. But since now I can now sell my S30 (same sounds as theS80, 61 keys) I should still break even or better. My plans for the B3 are to run the direct or "dry" samples (sampled direct from the B3, no Leslie) through my Ventilator, for a module solution for some gigs. Thanks to using a Nord Electro 2 rack for awhile, I got used to not having reverb on organ sounds, so that is not an issue.

• Members

~~

I picked up the Mo'Phatt keyboard a few years ago for $300. It has all 3 expansion slots loaded with cards, Proteus 1/2/3, Vintage Keys, and

the ZR, which is an Ensoniq sound library. I hardly use the board anymore, at one point it was a 3rd board in my rig. I used it for learning songs on but now I always seem to need to program patches on my Roland so I just set that up when I'm learning new stuff.

• Members

Ahhhh....makes sense. I thought you were getting the deal of the century there! Still a nice unit though. There's some fun sounds on the Mo Phatt, although one of my big issues with those EMU units in General is they aren't the easiest things in the world to program, so editing patches is often a bear.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't care about reverb on organ, but I'm just very used to having a bit of reverb on everything. Especially with IEMs---having my keys too dry just bugs me no end.

I ran the "dry" samples through a Vent as well. Pretty good sound. What passes for the Leslie sim on the EMU is just hawwwwrible.

I still use the Vent with the Kronos, although the on board Leslie sim on the Kronos is pretty decent for live use.

• Members

If it's something I actually need in order to do my job, I don't feel guilty. Sometimes I might feel annoyed though! (if I need it but don't want it/would rather spend the money on something else). I aim to have the best tools to work with, up to the point of diminishing returns. No Monettes here (nice as they may be). If it's a "toy", I'd feel guilty if it was taking food off my family's table somehow. If not, then rock on.

• Members

OP here. The problem was that I had 4 other very good guitars that were perfectly capable of performing any function I could need AND my new guitar cost more than any of them. All that being said, I'm over the guilt. This new guitar is AWESOME!! :-)

• Members
I don't have any guilt , but then I am not what you call a gear horse. Keep it simple and travel light. I never quite understood the guys that have tons of axes and amps past a work horse and a backup.

I have a backup for my backup's backup !! )

I have multiple backups for my backups backups !! )

• Members
OP here. The problem was that I had 4 other very good guitars that were perfectly capable of performing any function I could need AND my new guitar cost more than any of them. All that being said, I'm over the guilt. This new guitar is AWESOME!! :-)

GOOD TIMES !! )))

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I grew up with not alot of STUFF..so I still apply that apply that paradigm....I may own a bunch of guitars,2 basses etc..but nothing I ever bought cost more than $500 and they all serve a purpose. I record or play them live. They are my tools, and a good tradesman may have 2 hammers...each for a specific task the other cannot perform. I still,however,relate to people who cannot afford even a cheap guitar in their lives.

• Members

I just bought a Les Paul Custom - you all know what that costs. No regrets. Haven't bought a guitar in 25 years so I was due.for one, Best guitar I've ever owned or played. No regrets whatsoever. I've never regretted any piece I've bought because I only buy what I can afford and I use what I buy. I don't let it sit in the case collecting dust just because I want one.

• Members

I have an extra engine sitting in my garage for my car. The plan was to build it up one day, or as a replacement if mine goes boom (aftermarket turbo) my buddy always busts my balls. He asked why I have an extra engine, I said "just in case" he says "why don't you buy another house. You know, just in case" lol

Archived