Back to back gigs (2 weekends in a row) wut???

• Members

Here's a song from last nights gig. It was recorded with presonus capture, then loaded into StudioOne. I know nothing about StudioOne, so its just the raw tracks, no mixing, but I did put a bit of reverb on the lead vocals.

• Members
Nice set up and a solid band. Hearing night moves and watching people dance to it is a hoot. When it stops they stop and wait for it to spool up again.

Yeah that's one the guys talked about wanting to add to the band set; they do it as a duo already but I think it would go over real well in some of these joints we've been playing.

• Members

Yeah that's one the guys talked about wanting to add to the band set; they do it as a duo already but I think it would go over real well in some of these joints we've been playing.

We learned night moves , against the wind and Hollywood nights to go with the low hanging fruit old time rock and roll. To be honest they are the kind of songs that its good to have for requests. We picked up two benjis one night because we knew some Bob S. We never rack that stuff up in a setlist. Its been good back burner material though. I can say is when you need it it has payed off well in tips.

• Members

I love Hollywood Nights. I think it's neat that it's a literal story, but we went with night moves. Also worked on Gimme Some Lovin during sound check, but decided we will work on it more, and pair it up with Shout as a bit of a Medley.

• Members
Bob Seger? Wow. Must be more of a Midwest thing. I can't recall ever getting a request for Bob Seger. Last Seger song I can remember playing in a band was probably Her Strut back around 1980.

I think its more of a classic rock thing, but seger is a Detroit act so it does go over with the winter people. The table that tipped us 200 buck were all latino and rio grande natives. I do agree that it Seger is what I call limited nitch appeal. Old time rock and roll is low hanging fruit that works across the board on age, since its been re introduced by the movies. I can say that some of his stuff is good ammo to be able to do when you need it. Its kind of like Hendrix. No one puts it in a set list , but you always have that whooped up table that wants some Hendrix and is willing to drop a good tip when we play it. In the small room bar scene that we play ,,, Getting tipped for doing requests its a part of the game. We do lots of stuff that no one else does down here. Heck we even do some pink Floyd.

• Members

We learned night moves , against the wind and Hollywood nights to go with the low hanging fruit old time rock and roll. To be honest they are the kind of songs that its good to have for requests. We picked up two benjis one night because we knew some Bob S. We never rack that stuff up in a setlist. Its been good back burner material though. I can say is when you need it it has payed off well in tips.

I've got a whole SLEW of songs like that floating around in the subconcious that I can bust out at any time; problem is I don't sing lead LOL so it's up to the rest of the guys to step up (or not). :)

Night Moves is funny: it was done in Ab (capo 1, key of G). And that capo makes a big difference in how easy it is to sing the song. Try it and see: that half step makes all the difference in the world.

• Members

Seger is fine---I'm a fan of his 70s stuff for sure---and his catalog is on classic rock radio all the time here just like it is everywhere else, I imagine. I'm sure Night Moves and a couple of others would go over fine with the right crowd and OTRNR is what it is, of course.

Just not any stuff there that screams "gotta play it" or big request material. At least not around here except maybe at biker rallies or something. But if you got a guy with the right voice to sing it, then there's some great material there for sure. Very much about the singer though. Need that big gravelly voice to sell 'em.

I think part of it might be that when I think of Seger, most of the big hits that people still know today are ballads: Night Moves, Mainstreet, Against The Wind, Turn The Page, We've Got Tonight, etc. Most of the more upbeat stuff sort of got stuck with the era. Great songs though. He certainly could write 'em when he was at his peak.

• Members

Night Moves is funny: it was done in Ab (capo 1, key of G). And that capo makes a big difference in how easy it is to sing the song. Try it and see: that half step makes all the difference in the world.

Unless you're Bob Seger these days.....

Last time I saw him do that song, he was not only playing it in G, but the guitars were tuned DOWN a half step. And he left all the high notes to others....

"Easy to sing" is only relevant to where anyone's voice naturally is, anyway. Ab on that song is going to be the right key for some, and the completely wrong key for others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrY3HzPV5sE

• Members
I am surprised he only tunes down a half step. I think old Ozzy goes down 1.5 steps on all his stuff these days. Sounds like sludge.

I think only other musicians who are as familiar with those songs as we all are notice that and think it sounds sludgy. Most people's ears aren't that finely tuned even to a song they've heard a zillion times. Everyone else just wants to hear the song sung as well as possible. So whatever key works for Bob or Ozzy is fine by me.

• Members

I think only other musicians who are as familiar with those songs as we all are notice that and think it sounds sludgy. Most people's ears aren't that finely tuned even to a song they've heard a zillion times. Everyone else just wants to hear the song sung as well as possible. So whatever key works for Bob or Ozzy is fine by me.

I've seen Ozzy fan discussions online where MANY fans do in fact notice. It's hard NOT to notice, especially during clean guitar parts. Guitars tend to sound out of tune more easily, that kind of thing. Definitely noticeable.

I wish artists and musicians would stop denigrating their audience; would stop assuming that the only people with an ear for music are those that play it. Many fans of artists are also fans of music.

Many non players listen deeply and intently to music. We as players should wake up to that fact, embrace the fans love of music and stop giving them second rate crap under the guise of "they can't tell the difference anyway". BOOOOOOOO

• Members

We as players should wake up to that fact, embrace the fans love of music and stop giving them second rate crap under the guise of "they can't tell the difference anyway". BOOOOOOOO

So what then? Guys like Ozzy and Bob should just hang it up? What about their fans that simply want to see them perform live and play the songs they love, even if they can only croak out "second rate crap" at this point in their lives? Wouldn't they be cheating THOSE fans by not performing at all?

I'm of two minds on this topic: On one hand, I respect a guy like Perry who, the above rare-appearance-caught-on-iPhone not withstanding, decided to hang it up years ago and go out on a high note and not subject himself to second rate crap and the ensuing criticism. Quit while you're ahead and leave them wanting more. I like that approach.

On the other hand, I also get why a guy like Seger who, presuming he doesn't need the money, has decided that hey--- he's only going to live once and not all that much longer, he enjoys performing and playing his songs for the fans that love him regardless and, if it ain't what he used to be 30 years ago, he's still giving it all he's got---whatever that may be. He certainly has nothing left to prove to anyone at this point in his career.

I'd like to say that I don't know what I'd personally do in that situation, but the truth is that nobody is ever going to care enough about my past career for me to ever be in the position to have to make that call. So let them do what they want, I say. Obviously the enjoyment Ozzy and Bob still get out of performing overrides having to listen to the naysayers for them. So, more power to 'em.

If anybody doesn't personally care for how they perform these days, then they don't have to go to the concert, right?

But, for the record, I didn't say anything about using "they can't tell the difference anyway" as an excuse for a sub-standard performance. I was simply pointing out the fact that most people can't tell the difference if you change the key of a song. That the few that ARE able to sometimes chime in on forum groups about it doesn't change that fact.

And I also disagree that dropping a key has anything to do with making a performance sub-standard. What WOULD do that is not being able to sing the song well.

I wasn't there during the original recording session, but I'm going to guess that the only reason Night Moves was recorded in Ab in the first place is because that's where the sweet-spot of his voice was for that particular tune that day. One of the primary appealing attributes of Seger's voice is the way he sounds when he stretches for those high notes. If I'm his producer, we're moving the key of the song to wherever he gets 'that' sound the best.

Now he's older and his sweet spot in somewhere lower. Or maybe he doesn't even really have one at all anymore. Move the key then.

• Members

One way to get through it is to gear yourself for it. Most of us know music is better in the summer months if you’re in any part of the country with the change of seasons, you make the most money in the spring/summer. Back in 2009-2010 I was gigging up to 17 times in a summer month and holding a day job. I took time off from work if I needed it (vacation days). I also made sure my gear was in top shape; cables, cords, roadcases, etc. Also I would map out if any of it was overnight stays. Sleep and fatigue in the summer is the hard part, tell yourself you’re going to be tired, If you try not to get irritated it can help. Right now I have two back to back weekends coming up. This year fatigue will happen mostly because our Sunday restaurant gig starts at 12 PM load in. We have about an hour drive for each band member to get there. It ends with load out included at 8 PM. It doesn’t seem like a pain but the Saturday gigs are club gigs so your talking at getting home at 3 AM and then trying to get to sleep which doesn’t happen easy for musicians.

Right now I have a member who is not in the best health and he started working out to help himself because he is in a band besides this. Trying to stay healthy is another problem. So many times you get discounts on food and drink so it’s hard to stay away from it because the environments musicians are always in. Face it is easy to eat wings, beer, burgers and other bar food. With that comes weight gain, sleep loss and a slew of other things. I guess what I am saying is try to stay ontop of a lot of it as much as you can. It can be hard with juggling kids, graduations, school and other household responsibilities.

• Members
One way to get through it is to gear yourself for it.

Absolutely. If you've got 2 or 3 nights in a row coming up and you're not used to doing that, then you've got to prepare and pace yourself.

When we pull double or triple headers, I know I've got to be as rested as possible going into it. And I'm probably not going to expend as much energy on the first night as I might otherwise. And drinking during or after the gig probably isn't a good idea. And getting right to bed as soon as possible instead of staying up in the hotel room and partying afterwards. And a couple more salads and a couple fewer burgers helps too.

All those little things that didn't matter 20 years ago start to add up pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am playing July 25, 26, 27 afternoon, 27 evening, and Aug 1 this year. With 5 different groups and 4 different styles. Thank God only the 26th is a late-nighter with organ and PA. I am gearing myself for it, but I'm really worried I'm going to poop out. I am 40, a weekend warrior and have a M-F 9-5 job and a household to maintain. By the time Aug 1 rolls around, I think my wife is going to be ready to kill me.

Wes

• Members
I am playing July 25, 26, 27 afternoon, 27 evening, and Aug 1 this year. With 5 different groups and 4 different styles. Thank God only the 26th is a late-nighter with organ and PA. I am gearing myself for it, but I'm really worried I'm going to poop out. I am 40, a weekend warrior and have a M-F 9-5 job and a household to maintain. By the time Aug 1 rolls around, I think my wife is going to be ready to kill me.

Wes

You should be fine. Keep organized, stay hydrated don't drink any booze and be careful lifting on load in and load out. Travel as light on your rig as you can get away with. Watch what you eat if you eat out,,, I ended with food poisoning a week and a half ago... and it layed me out for a couple days. just take the shows one at a time. It will be over before you know it.

Archived