Back to back gigs (2 weekends in a row) wut???

• Members

We are an event band, weddings, Christmas parties, corporate etc. We might play oh a dozen times a year, so we have a couple back to back weekends. One is at our local community hall, for something called a School Bus Roadeo. All the bus drivers in the division get together and there's a skills competition, a meal and a big party, so we are the big party. Coincidentally, our keyboard player and our bass players wife are both school bus drivers, so it kinda worked out for us! We will go with our normal setup, but bring my full light rig and see if we can work something out with the hazer. We will find out what the procedure is, or if there is one. I know a couple brides for weddings would love to be able to use the hazer in the venue, as it makes the lights look so much better. An international band is playing here in June, and I'm sure they would like to use smoke or haze as well, so I'll use that when I talk to whoever is in charge. Normally the stage is set up to our specs: 2AC4F7F9-5159-4F02-A2B7-F8C1A85A03CF.jpg663904EB-ED37-4581-A304-2AC3FA982212-5166-00000328B4D213B7_zps9c906921.jpgF402321A-4074-457C-A4DC-802D467F858D-6579-00000432EA3ED8F8_zpsd5b4ad48.jpg With any luck we can use our full light setup: http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/0440C08B-37ED-48CC-8F7A-33FD49A9F611-4571-000002B06F67B7A1_zps9de960cd.jpg[/ing] But since most people on the board are over 60, we will do it ourselves tonight and possibly set up the light rig as well. Then tomorrow we will get the sound all set up and soundcheck as well. We always play this place so I have a setting on my StudioLive, we just get the levels and then we are pretty much ready to go. A tweak here or there and it's all good. Next weekend we are playing a mortgage burning house party. This will be on a deck at the house so it will be a minimal setup. FOH: 2 Unity15's Probably get away with 3 monitors. Mic the kick and vocals. The instruments will run free. It will be one of those have to keep it down quite a bit so the cops don't come. A good thing is that the deck faces a park. The bad thing is I don't know what their provisions are for a rain day. I'm going to talk to our drummer, he's the contact with the homeowners. I'm going to suggest maybe setting up in the basement, or there's a small Scout Hall that can be rented I think for $100. That would really be ideal. Seems a little overkill since we charge pretty decent for a gig, but hey if they want to pay, we are here to play! The video is of the big hall we will be playing at. It's always fun, a nice big stage, 50A power, easy load in, so it should be a good time!!! Probably a bit boring of a post, just trying to get some action going in the forum. :)

• Members

Back to backs get tougher the older I get. We did one a couple of weekends ago that involved a quick turnaround (the first night ran late, the second night started early...Of COURSE it couldn't be the other way around...) with a 3 hour drive in between.

We were all just about dead at the end of the 2nd gig after getting little sleep the night before. I can do that a couple of times a year, but two weekends in a row would probably kill me!

• Members

No kidding hey. Luckily for us back to back is 2 weekends in a row :) it will be fun. Our singer lives 3 hours away and now our keyboard player is moving an hour away. It's not like we practice every week or anything. We will just have to work more on our own, and then I guess my place will become the practice place, instead of our keyboard players place. Our price will go up and extra $100 to give some gas money to our keyboard player. We also give an extra $100 to our singer to help with gas and travel costs. But it all works out.

• Members
No kidding hey. Luckily for us back to back is 2 weekends in a row :) it will be fun. Our singer lives 3 hours away and now our keyboard player is moving an hour away. It's not like we practice every week or anything. We will just have to work more on our own' date=' and then I guess my place will become the practice place, instead of our keyboard players place. Our price will go up and extra $100 to give some gas money to our keyboard player. We also give an extra $100 to our singer to help with gas and travel costs. But it all works out.[/quote']

Yeah, we're in pretty much the same boat. Our singers live 2 and 3 1/2 hours away from the rest of us. We usually practice at my house and rarely practice with all six of us together. New songs are usually learned by the guys rehearsing at my house and the girls work on their own parts on their own time and we put them together at soundcheck or backstage before a show.

We always pay for everyone's gas to the shows and long rehearsal trips and rooms are covered one way or another. Not always the most effective plan---the songlist should be more current; the band should be tighter--but you gotta work with whatcha got and living out in the sticks makes things difficult for sure!

• Members

When we do get together, we make a day of it. We will have a bit of a potluck, burgers, salad, a few beers over the day. Just a good long practice, some jamming, going over stuff we've never all done as a band. Hell onetime we did a ton of old 80s stuff for a laugh. Some poison, black Crowes, GnR. I think even just playing together makes us all aware of each other. We do lots of requests, so sometimes we just pull stuff out of the hat and make it work. Practice is a fun get together.

• Members

That's crazy!! The odd time I do back to back gigs as a sound provider. Man it makes for a long weekend. We got the stage and lights set up last night, so tonight we will get the sound all up and going along with our instruments. Then tomorrow is the gig. Looking forward to it!

• Members

Seven of the gigs are with my main band. One is a festival so no PA /lighting to worry about. 5 of the gigs are at a guest ranch that we play on Thursdays during the summer. We only use 8 channels on the mixer with IEMs,2 tops 2 subs and 2 light trees. We can usually set up in about a 1/2 hour after the first week since we have everything dialed in. The nice thing is we can leave the gear in storage room right next to where we play. The hardest set up will be an outdoor party for 400-450. We will use a bigger PA probably 4-6 subs and 4 tops and micing everything.

The other band I play with about half the gigs will be with a Yamaha stage pas and 2 light trees. We are playing a street dance 2 nights in a row which will require the BLs bigger Peavey system. The thing that sucks is we will have to break it down and set it up twice.

• Members

Well I just got off the phone with the BL in one of the bands I play in. I got talked into another gig in July, a wedding about 375 miles away on a Monday. The gig is in Glacier National Park. Not sure of all the logistics yet. This is the same week as the street dance so now I have a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, probably travel day Sunday, play Monday and come home Tuesday.

• Members

No I work in construction. Unfortunately summer is when I make my money. I would guess I make about half my Income for the year from June until the first of October. My boss use to sing in a band I was in years ago so he understands. It is one of the reasons I work for him instead of someone who wouldn't let me leave early or take days off.

• Members
Crazy!!! Are you a full time musician? We all have day jobs' date=' families etc so I'd say it's pretty much a hobby for us.[/quote']

It's hard to say no to the money sometimes. And I got some people in the band who would gig full time if we were booked that much. So I get where Modulus is at. Make the money while you can. Slow season might start any day lol.

• Members

For sure. I'm always down for a gig. We get paid pretty good. The ironic thing is I generally get 3 times as much to DJ a wedding. I always mention the band. Sometimes they go for it, sometimes not. I make a lot less in the band, but it's a lot more fun. We are going for it with the full light rig. Did some tests (didn't video) and it worked out. Talked to the manager of the venue and he assured me no problem, everything will be fin so I'm pretty happy with that!! Here's the setup for tomorrow. BB5AFD91-101B-416D-A607-D98ED61DF8A0.jpg

• Members

You definitely take your lighting more serious than my bands do. My main band has 16 LED lights we just set then to fade into different colors. We use 8 of them at our Thursday gig and will probably only use all 16 a couple of times a year. UPDATE It turns out that the glacier Park gig isn't until Aug 25th instead of July. That means only 14 gigs in July and now August has 8 so far.

• Members

I do back to backs all the time. It's not always with the same project as I have 3 bands that I'm active with. This week I played a church carnival Thursday and one of our regular bar/restaurants Friday with the party band. Next week I play Thursday and then Saturday with the blues band.

Last week I played Saturday with the party band and Sunday with the Deadhead band.

• Members
You definitely take your lighting more serious than my bands do. My main band has 16 LED lights we just set then to fade into different colors. We use 8 of them at our Thursday gig and will probably only use all 16 a couple of times a year. UPDATE It turns out that the glacier Park gig isn't until Aug 25th instead of July. That means only 14 gigs in July and now August has 8 so far.
Yeah when I started my modest sound company I decided to go all DMX with my lighting. That was a goal of mine. This is our first time using everything at this venue, I'm pretty stoked because we play here a lot. I'm a tradesman so I do this on the side, it works out pretty good because my shift is 4 days on, 3 days off, weekends

• Members

Ok this is the one piss off about my band. We said "ok let's meet at noonish for breakfast" since it was about 3:30am when we left the venue last night. Then I get a call at 10;30 "oh we are meeting at Xxxxxx for breakfast at 10:45" what happened to noonish FFS. I'll pick up my trailer after we eat.

• Members

They sent us up a couple rounds of tequila, the someone bought the bottle for us. The hazer worked with no issues which is awesome. Normally we went without any movers so this was good news as we play there quite often!!

Archived