Please help me pick a new mixer for my band's PA

• Members

Long story short, my Behringer Xenyx X2222 took a dump on me and I would like to replace it with another brand.  

We are a weekend warrior cover band, nothing fancy, and run 3  vocals, 2 guitars, bass, kick drum, and snare through the PA.    We play mostly bars and clubs.  A board with 8 XLR inputs would be enough for our needs.

Here are the questions I have - I bought the Behringer because it has built in effects and also built in compressors on the channels.  I like using a little delay on the vocals to add some depth and I've also found compression to be useful on the vocals, kick drum, and bass.

I definitely want built in effects but am wondering if maybe compression is not something I really need.  We lived without it for a long time and I'm curious if maybe the only benefit I'm perceiving from it is psychological and in reality it doesn't make that big of a difference in a live mix in a small bar.

The two mixers I've looked at the most closely are a Peavey PV14 and a Yamaha MG166CX. They both have 10 XLR inputs and built in effects.  The Yamaha has a built in compressor on 6 of the channels, the Peavey has no built in compression.   Some of the reviews I've read about the Yamaha say that the built in compressor doesn't do much.   

The Peavey is significantly cheaper so I'm thinking that if the Yamaha's built in compressor doesn't do much, it may not be worth the additional $130 for it and I'll be fine with the Peavey which has everything I want with the exception of the compressor.  

Is one brand significantly better and more reliable than the other brand or are they both equally good (or bad, as the case may be?)

Are there any other mixers in the sub $400 price range with at least 8 XLR inputs and built in FX and compressor (or without if you don't think I need it) that I should be looking at in addition to these?  Thanks for any info. 

• Members

I'm taking a good look at the Soundcraft EFX8. It's got 8 mono channels (XLR and 1/4"), plus 2 stereo channels. It has Lexicon effects, which get really good reviews. There's no compression, though. I don't believe I've read anything negative about this for an affordably priced mixer. I was considering the Peavey PV14, but I prefer the sweepable mids on the Soundcraft. Here's a link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EFX8

• Members

If you can stretch the budget you might be able to pickup a used MixWizard 12:2 for around $5-600. It has built in effects you could use. It doesnt have built in compression but if you havent needed it yet, then I would skip it for now and add it later if needed.

Or you might be able to find a good deal on a used Mackie Onyx1620i and use a computer to patch in effects.

• Members

guitarman3001 wrote:

We are a weekend warrior cover band, nothing fancy, and run 3  vocals, 2 guitars, bass, kick drum, and snare through the PA.    We play mostly bars and clubs.  A board with 8 XLR inputs would be enough for our needs.

I'll second the EFX-8,,,mine's been a real workhorse for the last 5-6 years, and never a hiccup. I recently added an MFXi-8, and that's even nicer. Check out the EFX-12 and the MFXi-12.

That said, aren't you cutting it kinda thin? I'd consider a decent 12-ch console for future expansion, or, if a channel goes down.

Archived