midi solutions for stage

• Members
This was shared by a user and I thought it was a good example of running midi from a distance.

My mixing console was in beneath of the recording scene because AD-converters had to (not to be disturbed by EMI Signals) be close to the MICs. So I did not use the given routed XLR-cables in the walls (50meters) but did it differently: To be able to adjust my mixer, I controlled it via MIDI from distance which I had to solve this way, that I placed a MIDI-Box in beneath of the TASCAM and a long parallel cable to the PC, which was controlled by optical infrared mouse. XLR-Microcables (5m) to TASCAM, 5m MIDI cable, MIDI BOX, 5m parallel, PC already gave me 15meters distance from PC to MICs (not to hear the disc noise).

• Members

If you used quality gear, the A/D's could have been anywhere. Did you know that many very high quality digital consoles have the converters inside the console?

MIDI can be run over 50' without problems where quality line drivers and cable are used. 50' is generally the minmum.

There are differential long distance drivers available, that's the basis of most of the MIDI extenders

Archived