Advertising strategy for this skill/service

• Members

The longer I'm involved in SR, the more I've become convinced that traditional advertising methods don't really apply. When I first started, I took out ads in local papers and magazines which (ultimately) drew little to no response. Seems that word of mouth and a good relationship with numerous chambers of commerce have been the best pay off so far. I get frequent solicitations to take out all sorts of ads but it just has not proven to be effective...................at least not for me. Reputation does more than anything else I've seen. Not at all what a "normal" business would rely on. 

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

The longer I'm involved in SR, the more I've become convinced that traditional advertising methods don't really apply. When I first started, I took out ads in local papers and magazines which (ultimately) drew little to no response. Seems that word of mouth and a good relationship with numerous chambers of commerce have been the best pay off so far. I get frequent solicitations to take out all sorts of ads but it just has not proven to be effective...................at least not for me. Reputation does more than anything else I've seen. Not at all what a "normal" business would rely on. 

"Normal" businesses - selling to consumers - might benefit from advertising....advertising is worth doing when there are a lot of potential users/consumers of your service and there is a reasonable chance that they will look at the advertising medium you choose.  Most B2C companies are moving some or all of their spend to digital marketing so they can build a picture of the individual consumer and market to a segment of 1. (That's the theory, not many are doing it well today).

Who is going to be buying your service ? My guess is a small number of people....you need to think about how you can reach those people at a time when they want to buy (or are starting to think about the need to do so).

Word of mouth is always going to be the best and cheapest way to market. Something like 87% (I forget the exact percentage) will believe a claim made about a company from family/friends; 60% will believe an independent comment on a website from a total stranger; 18% will believe a claim made by the vendor/manufacturer. You only have to look at how reputations can be made or trashed on this forum to see this in action.

So advertising is unlikely to be a good medium for you as it is a shotgun approach to marketing (spray and pray) and even if you do reach the right audience, your claims will be viewed with some scepticism.

What is the right approach ? It depends.

Archived