Are you left or right handed???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

My lad is ambidextrous and plays right.

His teacher said hes the most natural guitar player he has ever seen. I am sure being a lefty helps

Maybe right handed players should play lefty for best results?

Edited by knotty

• Moderators

Psychologists are pretty sure that there is no such thing as handedness, it's all quite simply down to how you learn from the beginning.

The guitar is an odd instrument as people who are so called right handed do all the complicated stuff with their left hand, so the neural pathways learn those tasks, the right hand then carries out the donkey work.

When one learns the piano, the piano teacher never asks if you're left or right handed.........

Neural pathways can do anything and learn anything.

When we talk about handedness we are generally talking about which way our children tend to hold a pen, pencil, crayon etc as they grow.

From their own we define them as handed.

My car is right handed:)

• Members
Psychologists are pretty sure that there is no such thing as handedness, it's all quite simply down to how you learn from the beginning.

The guitar is an odd instrument as people who are so called right handed do all the complicated stuff with their left hand, so the neural pathways learn those tasks, the right hand then carries out the donkey work.

When one learns the piano, the piano teacher never asks if you're left or right handed.........

Neural pathways can do anything and learn anything.

When we talk about handedness we are generally talking about which way our children tend to hold a pen, pencil, crayon etc as they grow.

From their own we define them as handed.

My car is right handed:)

Not sure about the psychologists then.

My lad writes left handed and can write as well right, although he has never practiced it. He bats left handed, bowls right. Kicks with his left foot throws dart with his right. Plays guitar right handed. All from natural instinct and choice. Nobody told him to kick left footed or pick up a pen wih his left hand. If anything he was encouraged to try his right but was never comfortable with it.

On a seperate note. As most people favour their right hand, how did the guitar evolve to be played the "wrong" way around?

• Members

I'm right / right. My wife is always right too. :D It feels to me like I have about the same amount of dexterity in my fingers, so I'd be able to learn to fret with my right, but the larger muscle movements with my left arm are uncoordinated so I'd struggle with strumming.

• Members

Disagree my friend.

I think everyone's "handedness" is a born trait like a chin dimple or attached ear lobes.

It's estimated 94.2 to 95.1% of the world is right handed..... I don't think it's coincidence that 9.5 people out of 10 just so happen to "learn that way."

Also disagree about which hand is more complicated.

As a teacher, and player since 1993, I can confidently state that as a right hand player, the right hand is doing the hardest part.

I am a firm believer that whatever hand you naturally hold a pen or pencil with should be the hand you hold a pick in.

While a player can get good the other way......ie: Gary Moore was left handed who played right, Jimi Hendrix was right handed who played left.....

It is my opinion, that in order to get a machine gun right hand like Paul Gilbert, or Pebber Brown....the dominant hand has to be on the pick.

• Like 1

• Members

I play right-handed because I'm right-handed. I taught a left-handed friend to play right-handed, too. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to turn him onto guitar playing (and he was a very eager and willing student), and my guitar was right-handed. So that's how he learned sm-ufo

Edited by humbuckerstrat

• Members

I'm right handed, and play right. When I first picked up a guitar I would fiddle around with it in what I later learned was left handed. Switched early to right handed playing because a book told me so. Ultimately glad I did because guitar music is written for right hand players and there are many more options for right hand guitars.

• Members
As a developmental psychologist' date=' it's news to me that dexterity isn't heritable. That said, I'm lefty and play lefty.[/quote']

Dexterity is absolutely heritable. My immediate family has 5 lefties out of 9 people....yet only 5% of the population is lefty..... that's not coincidence.

• Members
ambi plays right

Now when you say Ambi.... do you mean you are just as comfortable writing with your left hand as your right? throwing a ball with your left as your right, kicking a ball just as hard and far with your left as your right?? If this is true......and its likely not.....then you represent less than .01% of the population.

While I am a right handed person who does tons of stuff comfortably with my left hand (as do plenty of musicians)......to say that it is just as natural is a lie....

Also keep in mind that study after study has proven the following:

Ambi people are 11 times more likely to suffer from severe mental disorders than the rest of the population, and are 7 to 9 times more likely to be homosexual, and for whatever reason.....left handed people die on average of 7 years sooner than righties, Ambi's die and average of 11 years earlier than righties.

• Members

I always thought about taking an electronic keyboard and wiring all the keys left handed so the high notes are on the left and low notes on the right.

This way my right hand can play the bass riffs and my left hand can play the riffs. When you take your left guitar hand and face it down on a keyboard all the notes are in reverse order which makes it very difficult to switch over, as it is with many instruments.

• Members
I always thought about taking an electronic keyboard and wiring all the keys left handed so the high notes are on the left and low notes on the right.

This way my right hand can play the bass riffs and my left hand can play the riffs. When you take your left guitar hand and face it down on a keyboard all the notes are in reverse order which makes it very difficult to switch over, as it is with many instruments.

That's true..... I know many guys that say "oh man, if you can play guitar, piano/keyboard is easy."

It's not for me.......

Guitar came so naturally for me even as a child.... but never has keyboard.....I can somewhat make the keys boogie, but it takes so much effort for me.... guitar is effortless at times.