What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????

Dr. Scottie C

What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????

• 7's
    • 8's
    • 9's
    • 10's
    • 11's
    • 12's
    • 13's
    • 14's or thicker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

14, 18, 22, and then the wounds from Elixir 12s; 32 - 52 I think. Standard E, Gibson or Fender scale. Bends go maybe a semitone but great tone and good hand builder for blues and jazz. Lately though with all the fusion guys blazing like nobody's binnit I need to get wanky every now and then. 10s for that, prolly lighter if ever get good at it.

• Members
Doesn't the treble E break on 2 whole note bends?

No, actually they last just about as long as any other strings do. They go dead a bit quicker though.

I'd go a tad thicker like 8.5/40's if you're going to try them and are used to heavier strings. These stay in tune very well and you shouldn't have to completely redo the setup for them. http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-gb8-1-2.html

8's used to be the hottest strings sold back in the 70's and Music stores couldn't keep them in stock. Allot of Famous guitarists used them too.

I went back and tried some different sets last time around. I tried some D'Addario 9/46 pure nickel strings that sound pretty good.

I bout three sets of D'Addario nickel coated 9/42's which were awful. I took the one set off my main player the next day. I just couldn't get them to sound right.

I did try these SIT strings again. http://www.juststrings.com/sit-s946.html and I guess they got their quality control issue fixed. The packs are sealed so no one can monkey with the strings in the packs. I had gotten several packs I believed someone had swapped out strings in to fill orders. They used thick D strings as A strings and the core wire were too thin making them impossible to intonate, so I quit using them.

I was very happy they were back to normal because I love the way the second and third strings are gauged. Normally those two strings when you use 9's have issues being too flexible and easily bent out of tune. In this case they are a tad beefier and feel more like 10's in the center. Looks like they have me back as a customer for awhile because I can tweak my setup to get them to sound fantastic.

Archived