What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????

Dr. Scottie C

What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What gauge string do you prefer for electric guitar????

• 7's
    • 8's
    • 9's
    • 10's
    • 11's
    • 12's
    • 13's
    • 14's or thicker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I was gigging, I started with 10s but the E and B strings broke too frequently. I bumped them up in gauge until they stopped breaking. I ended up buying 13s and liked them. I switched to flats and they seemed much stiffer. I have one round wound string guitar and put 14-58 on it to match the feel of the guitars with flats.

Edited by cx04332

• Members
When I was gigging, I started with 10s but the E and B strings broke too frequently. I bumped them up in gauge until they stopped breaking. I ended up buying 13s and liked them. I switched to flats and they seemed much stiffer. I have one round wound string guitar and put 14-58 on it to match the feel of the guitars with flats.

Might as well use rebar at that point..... As we speak I am putting 8-38's on my Malmsteen strat, which I tune to Eb. Love it.

• Members

Might as well use rebar at that point..... As we speak I am putting 8-38's on my Malmsteen strat, which I tune to Eb. Love it.

Don't superlights make fretting difficult? With 9's they tend to move to one side, away from my fingers. Never tried them but | imagine superlights just flicking away from me. Dont know why, just one of those unfounded expectations.

• Members

Don't superlights make fretting difficult? With 9's they tend to move to one side, away from my fingers. Never tried them but | imagine superlights just flicking away from me. Dont know why, just one of those unfounded expectations.

It has to do with magnetism The polarity of the pickup magnets is out of sync with the body magnetics caused by your nerve pulses.

http://www.spiritualgarden.net/info/human+electricity.html

• Like 1

• Members

If that's the problem there is a way to reverse the polarity

Fashion a cone from a piece of metal and wear it on your head while playing this is well proven to reduce your magnetism

man-in-dunce-capcrop.jpg

Edited by gardo

• Members
If that's the problem there is a way to reverse the polarity

Fashion a cone from a piece of metal and wear it on your head while playing this is well proven to reduce your magnetism

man-in-dunce-capcrop.jpg

Tried that. Heres an old photo of me trying to lever on a set of 48 guage strings.

IMG_3789.jpg

• Members

I voted .009s but I use .095s on my Gibson/PRS guitars and .009s on my Fenders. I used to gig with .010s, I'm older now and it's easier to bend the .095s or .009s. I'm thinking of going solely .009s as I can't buy .095s in bulk. I'm sure the tonal difference between the two is probably in my head. There's been LOTS of posts/arguments about string gauge but I don't feel there's a great deal of noticeable tone difference between a .010 and a .009. Doesn't Billy Gibbons use .008s (!) ? His tone is pretty cool!

• Members

My favorites are 10-46 on Gibson scale guitars.To me that is the perfect electric guitar feel.

On Strats and Teles it depends. I go between 9s and 10s. 9s are a little flimsy for some things but I can get used to it and I like the way they bend.If im mainly playing rhythm and singing and want a stiffer more acoustic feel I go with 10s.I've yet to find the perfect balance on a tele or strat like 10s are for me on a 24.75 scale.

• Members

I voted for the 10-46, but I also really enjoy the extra slinky feel of 9-42. I like the way you can fairly easily bend entire chords (especially on short-scale guitars) with a set of 9s. But if I have a guitar that can handle real low action without fret buzz, then I also don't mind having a guitar or tow set up with a set of 11s, since the action will still feel fairly supple if I can get the strings close to the board.

I think there should be string sets available (maybe there are and I haven't found them yet) that instead of being "light top/heavy bottom" were "heavy top/light bottom". I sometimes like the sound of a thicker high-end string (i.e. the high E and maybe the B), but unless its a semi- or full-hollow body guitar, I don't really see the need for a low E thicker than 42 unless you are doing drop tunings.

• Members
I voted for the 10-46, but I also really enjoy the extra slinky feel of 9-42. I like the way you can fairly easily bend entire chords (especially on short-scale guitars) with a set of 9s. But if I have a guitar that can handle real low action without fret buzz, then I also don't mind having a guitar or tow set up with a set of 11s, since the action will still feel fairly supple if I can get the strings close to the board.

I think there should be string sets available (maybe there are and I haven't found them yet) that instead of being "light top/heavy bottom" were "heavy top/light bottom". I sometimes like the sound of a thicker high-end string (i.e. the high E and maybe the B), but unless its a semi- or full-hollow body guitar, I don't really see the need for a low E thicker than 42 unless you are doing drop tunings.

ernie ball power slinky. 11-48

Edited by sammyreynolds01