Mackie SRM450 v1 vs v2... compared to Yorkville NX series

• Members

My band has a Yorkie EF500P down (probably a blown HF driver), and while it's in the shop we were forced to rent a pair of Mackie SRM450 v2 speakers for a gig last weekend. Now I've had experience with the early v1 series and I was never impressed. In fact when I signed for the rental I remember asking "Is Mackie all you have?". The guy assured me these were different. We ran them as a FOH pair out front and used the remaining EF500P for a center fill speaker.

I am reluctant to say I was quite immpressed with them. With the LF cutoff engaged they handled the mids and highs with clarity and alot more power than I would have expected.

We have been considering for months to buy an additional pair of active speakers, primarily for sound dispersion and to be used in cases like this when a box goes down. The Yorkvilles throw sound like no other speaker, however their narrow field dispersion leaves some dead spots , especially when the speakers are set far apart (wide stage). Since we've gone IEM and we have no additional monitor bleed for vocals or guitar from the stage, our mix tends to be somewhat bass heavy in large rooms, even when EQ'd. In the past we've limited ourselves to one LS800P sub, or moved both subs to the center of the stage. We're hoping center fill speakers will help to cut the HF through large boomy rooms and we'll not have to drive the EF500P's so hard to match the subs.

So my question is what is the real difference between the V1's and V2's. Zzounds are blowing out the V1's, with no sales tax and free shipping for $500 a piece. My local shop will sell me V2's for $525 + 8% sales tax. Because these won't be the mains, we're not looking for the perfect speaker... just a pair to help carry the load.

Additionally... our choice was going to be NX55P's, but we just can't swing $1400 for the pair. How would the NX25P stack up against the SRM450's?

Thanks.

• Members

There are Mackie experts out there who can answer your v1 vs. v2 questions, so I won't go there. Mackies do have high end sizzle if that's what you're after.

I'm wondering if you should just get two more EF500P's (they array well) and call it a day. Or... if they're not really working, look for something that is.

Mixing speakers can (not will) result in a slippery slope. Maybe you first need to decide if you need center fills or just wider horn dispersion.

• Members

There are Mackie experts out there who can answer your v1 vs. v2 questions, so I won't go there. Mackies do have high end sizzle if that's what you're after.

I'm wondering if you should just get two more EF500P's (they array well) and call it a day. Or... if they're not really working, look for something that is.

Mixing speakers can (not will) result in a slippery slope. Maybe you first need to decide if you need center fills or just wider horn dispersion.

Believe me... I would love nothing more than to invest in another pair of EF500P's. That is by far the best solution. There are two reasons that hold us back.... weight and cost.

Our trailer is already overloaded. Another 180lbs is really pushing the limit. We are beyond the recommended tongue weight... add to that the weight of road cases to cover them.

Secondly... at $2100 for the pair, it's just too expensive a solution for something we will use just 50% of the time. the Mackie's will cost us $1000... are smaller, lighter and can be used for additional purposes other than sound reinforcement. For instance, a PA for ceremony music when we play weddings, while the main rig is in the reception area.

We average 5-7 gigs per month, and I imagine we'll use these 2-3 gigs per month max. Most rooms dispersion isn't a problem, it's only the larger rooms (3000-4000 sq feet) that things get a little muddy.

• Members

Believe me... I would love nothing more than to invest in another pair of EF500P's. That is by far the best solution. There are two reasons that hold us back.... weight and cost.

Fair enough.

If it's cost effective, maybe you could rent additional gear (center fills or otherwise) as needed - sort of try before you buy.

Perhaps others will chime in re: Mackie production and warranty issues, and the RCF vs. Mackie vs. Chinese versions. That info might give you more food for thought.

Good luck with your hunt.

• Members

I have SRM450 version 1 and a Yorkville NX25P. I use the Yorkville as a monitor, and I've been very happy with it, but the Mackie is a substantially better speaker. Not sure what you didn't like about them, but I've been very happy with mine.

• Members

I heard a demo QSC K12 vs a new version of the SRM450 (blue) and the new K12 blew it away. The new box really sounds nice.

12" speaker and 1000 watts powered for $799? Looks like a fantastic deal at that price? Where does that fit in with the QSC HPR i122's?

• Members

I should ask.... I like hearing opinions on this... I know everyone would prefer us to get a 2nd pair of EF500P's just so we are usuing matched speaker pairs. Is there any harm is using a smaller powered speaker for just near field appilcation? The intention is to angle the Yorkvilles 60x40 dispersion dead center if not a bit outward (40/60) on stands and position the Mackie (or second pair) inward on top of the subs (or on the floor of the stage)with the speaker path crossed in a tighter X fashion. In fact the speaker path would look something like this I imagine. VxV. We would of course watch the volume levels especially on the second pair. Anyone object to this?

• Members

Why not get one EF500P to cover the middle. It would cost and weigh about the same as 2 of the plastic boxes. It would work much much better than using 2 different kinds of speakers for your FOH. You are asking for trouble by mixing your FOH speakers.

• Members

Hey wg3. As you know I'm more of a musician than a soundguy. But I was in a band that used 6 SRM450s for awhile. They'd throw them all over - some on stands, some onstage, almost random placement. And to my amazement, it always sounded pretty good.

It was a country band. What can I say?

I think you could get away with using them as center fills, relying on your EF500Ps for outside coverage. You might have to do some experimentation as to angles and placement.

I think I know where you're coming from. Discontinued V1s are under a grand a pair. At that price I don't think you can beat them. You'd have to spend considerably more for anything else. As long as you're OK with the Mackie crispness - described by those who know as a bump around 8k. Of course you can EQ that out somewhat.

edit: another single EF500P in the middle or mid-front of the stage might be the best option like Bear said above.

• Members

Why not get one EF500P to cover the middle. It would cost and weigh about the same as 2 of the plastic boxes. It would work much much better than using 2 different kinds of speakers for your FOH. You are asking for trouble by mixing your FOH speakers.

That is an option as well.

• Members

A good compromise IMHO. You could use it for center fill, or two on one side (if the room is oddly shaped) and for redundancy in case one EF500P goes down. You could still use it for ceremony music in another room because one EF500P properly placed would probably suffice.

And it negates the need for extra processing/EQ. Whatever you send to the FOH, could go to the center fill (with possibly modest adjustments made right on the box).

Beware the GAS though, you might end up with two more (and a bigger trailer):)

• Members

I heard a demo QSC K12 vs a new version of the SRM450 (blue) and the new K12 blew it away. The new box really sounds nice.

I also got to demo the K12 and I was VERY impressed. I personally thought it sounded better than the HPR 12".

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hey "wheresgrant" I'm selling my NX55s and Mackie SRM450s and listed them tonight. I have a buyer interested in the Yorkvilles, but saw this thread. Are you interested in buying? Please email me info@ianliwanag.com if you are. Thanks!

Archived