The "Experimental Drumming Techniques" Instructional Series

• Members

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here at HC, but Dendy was kind enough to contact me and encourage me to post some lessons now that there's a new format. With this being my first post in quite some time, I figured I'd kick things off with my new "Experimental Drumming Techniques" instructional series. As the name implies, this series focuses on trying to get unique sounds out of your drums and cymbals. Some are applicable in groove situations while others may be more suitable for use as sound effects, but the important thing to remember is that there is no right or wrong when it comes to sound exploration and self expression. What may sound pleasant to one's ears may come across as noise to the next person.

Also, I am in no way, shape, or form attempting to claim that each and every one of these techniques are my own. I'm simply trying to bring light to another aspect of our craft. I hope some of you dig the lessons and maybe even post an example or two of yourselves utilizing some of the techniques featured in the series. Enjoy!

Experimental Drumming Techniques: Lesson 1 - The Cymbal Scrape

[video=youtube_share;hIINo9ep3RU]

Experimental Drumming Techniques: Lesson 2 - Get A Set of Balls

[video=youtube_share;u1YQHmP9ZD8]

Experimental Drumming Techniques: Lesson 3 - Using Cymbals/Metal On Drums

[video=youtube_share;zbbBhhdzNDA]

• Members

Here's the latest installation in the series, which focuses on a fun technique to replicate the sound of a phaser fx pedal or some type of recording filter. It then takes it one step further and demonstrates one way it can be applied to a groove situation. No plugs or power outlets needed, just sticks and a drum! Enjoy and have fun making it your own!

Experimental Drumming Techniques: Lesson 4 - Set Phasers To Drum!

[video=youtube_share;BVejDK7U7Jg]

• Members

Hey man, this looks really interesting. I love the seemingly limitless sounds you can get out of acoustic instruments if you're willing to be a little creative. Can't wait to watch all these when I get home from work!

• Members
Hey man' date=' this looks really interesting. I love the seemingly limitless sounds you can get out of acoustic instruments if you're willing to be a little creative. Can't wait to watch all these when I get home from work![/quote']

Hey Rob I'm stoked to see that someone is into this kind of stuff! People tend to forget that we're way more than simply time keepers. Sssshhhh....don't tell anyone I said that. :eek:

Archived