EV ZLX-12P vs. EV ELX-112P vs QSC K12

• Members

Just thought I'd mention I listened to these three speakers a few days ago... Not a rigorous audition or A/B comparison, but at least the same music through each at the same (modest) volume. Vanilla EQ settings, as far as I know; we didn't fiddle with anything, just listened as they were set up. No attempt to push volume to limits

I could hear a difference between the two EVs on the one hand and the QSC on the other; the K12s sounded slightly darker. (Might have been the way the store set 'em up, though bubba said he thought they were all factory neutral.) The two EVs sounded almost the same; it was harder to tell much difference as we switch back and forth between those two.

I preferred the EV tone, although all three sounded very good... and before eliminating the QSCs I'd want to do more than just a casual comparison like this, especially if speaker or mixer/EQ/crossover settings might make a bigger difference.

That said, and for our particular (relatively quiet) requirements if we were upgrading just now... I'd be hard pressed to think why I'd want to pay $200 more per speaker for the ELXs, and $300 more per speaker for the K12s.

-D44

• Members

Opinions vary. I own pair ZLX12's, have heard many QSC K's live. I would have opted for QSC way before the ZLX's but amount didn't fit the budget at the time unfortunately. Re the K12's the 300 extra your paying for QSC quality, 6 year warranty. And they test drop their equip of buildings? How cool is that. And my opinion is that the QSC's are more accurate in sound reproduction from what I have heard. On any QSC K I've heard the highs were as best described as "accurate" and crisp. Low's much more accurate as well compared to the ZLX's, IMO.

• Members

Yep, certainly my thoughts are very much only "opinion" -- and while I'm pretty good at sound discrimination, it's difficult for me to find one I might prefer over another. Ditto on my drum head tunings, to a certain extent... and I have even more of that problem with my guitars; a bazillion settings available, a gazillion more if I'm actually using an amp, and every "voice" sounds fine to me.

I can well imagine the QSCs (or any other good name you might supply) have some nifty engineering advantages... I just didn't happen to be able to hear those advantages in this brief little listen.

IOW, my thoughts aren't a recommendation, just casual observation.

-D44

• Members

I think that the bigger ticket MI grade powered speakers only really excel at higher SPL. It has been my experience that a DSR, KW, PRX, class speaker really starts to shine when you get into high volumes. ZLX, Alto, etc, tend to either not get to the higher volume at all ..... AND/OR sound bad after a certain volume level is passed.

If you dial back the volume, I think most of the speakers being discussed here will sound just fine.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Bought a set of four ETX-12P's... absolutely love the sound out of them... absolutely hate the white noise. When I plugged these in, I couldn't believe how loud the hiss was. I thought I had a wide open channel or noisy preamp somewhere. But this is how the speakers sound. I contacted two retailers who took a listen to their 12P's in store, and they likewise found them to be not only twice as loud as the QSC's at 0db, but also hissing at a wider bandwidth. It's more like white noise than a hiss. In a quiet room, you can hear these things all the way to the back with nothing plugged into them. What is EV thinking?

• Members

I brought a set of ELX (112p and 118p) a few years ago. Compared with PRX, DSR and K.

I agree with the OP - I chose the ELX because they sounded best in store playing a CD.

I've found them satisfactory, but never loved them. I always wonder whether the PRX or K series would have been better in live band use (the K series small sub would be hugely advantageous too)

• Members

The other thing is that 6 months later, I got my hands on a set of HK audio Elias for a church. I got them ultra cheap in a blow out sale. They simply smash the ELXs and if I had my time again, that's what I'd have. They aren't made any more though.

Archived