What was your first guitar ?

AJ6stringsting

• Members

My first guitar was a B&M Rolif Classical guitar The classical lessons for which conditioned me to not using a pick.

I bitterly regret that because now I can no more learn to use a pick than I can learn German. Knopffler apparently had a similar problem from not starting with a pick hence his clawhammer and fingerpicking style. ( I play guitar predominantly with my thumbnail and fingepicking)

So my recommendation is don't buy your kid a classical as a first guitar unless they are the "I'd die for Beethoven" typesmiley-wink

My first electric was a series one Peavey Falcon. Still have it, still love it.

• Members

A 3/4 size acoustic from Sears. My dad was so mad at my mom buying it for me (for $35) he threatened to take her checkbook away. The strings were a mile off the fretboard and because of the small size the string tension was ridiculous. I learned to play the intro to Diary of a Madman on it, and was even fooling around with Captain Nemo by Micheal Schenker. I eventually borrowed it to a friend who never gave it back, after I got a Cort Ferrari 3 electric.

• Members

Martin D-18. I started learning on a strat and a classical guitar I borrowed from a friend who was studying abroad for a couple of years, and bought the Martin for $500 when a local mom and pop store had a moving sale. It's still my favorite guitar, and most prized possession.

• Members

My first was a no name POS acoustic that cost $19.99 at Montgomery Ward back in 1970. My first--and so far only--electric is my Fernandes Strat copy that was $50 on CraigsList with a gig bag. My first amp was actually an SWR LA12 bass amp, $80 on CraigsList. My first guitar amp was a Peavey Backstage Plus, $45 from a pawn shop. I've since given it away and play my Fernandes through the bass amp. Sounds pretty decent with the bass control at 9 o'clock.

• Members

classical nylon string guitar, the cheapest i could get, for around 75$... it was a christmas present from my parents,as a replacement for my stolen mountain bike a couple of months before...

was a mountain bike manic at the time i think that has change now 23 years later, oh yeah i have a mountain bike again but i cylce not that much anymore :)

• Members

I always say it was a Teisco Del Rey but it was actually a Teisco Strat Copy of some sort. Eddie Van Halen apparently also started on a Teisco, and where our musical heritage ends.

First amp was a bitchen Fender Princeton Tube amp. My parents sold both items out from under me when I was away at college and I never saw a penny of it. They were always full of surprises.

• Members

A Sears Silvertone i got from a friend for about $30. It had a broken truss rod and a bowed neck. I couldn't play it plugged into my stereo (which had output jacks for an electric guitar and a mic) because the neighbors downstairs would complain. I played it unplugged and copped a lot of licks from records and the radio in the early '70s.

I think I loaned it to somebody in the late '70s and never got it back (which was really no biggie, lol).

• Members

My first guitar was a decades old Harmony acoustic. My mom bought it from a pawn shop for my dad years before I was born, when he expressed interest in learning how to play. That never went anywhere and it had just been sitting around until I expressed interest.

My first playable guitar was a starter Ibanez strat copy. My mom asked if I was interested in electric, and I told her I wanted to get better first before money was spent on something I might not stay with. Glad she didn't listen, as I was ignorant to how bad that Harmony played. It was my only frame of reference as far as how guitars were, so I simply didn't know better.

My first good guitar, and the first I bought myself, was an Alvarez dreadnought. My logic at the time was I had a good electric (in the Ibanez) so I should get a good acoustic. I hindsight I see it was more I had a playable electric so I should get a playable acoustic lol. I still have it and still love how it sounds. I got really lucky in picking such a good one, given my very limited knowledge at the time.

My first good (and in this case great) electric was my 1967 Gibson ES-335. I had been learning for a few months when my grandmother came for a visit. Seeing me practiced jogged her memory that there was a guitar in her garage. Next time I was over at her place to help her with the gardening (she is english so she had a large garden, but that didn't always mix well with being elderly) I found and dragged it out of the garage. I about crapped myself when I opened the case. The story behind it is she got it from a guy that "dealed in a lot of junk". She got it for my dad when she was still attempting to get along with him. As mentioned, nothing came of him learning to play. At the time my parents and my grandmother lived a few blocks away. When they moved when I was 1 (1986) my dad threw the Gibson in the dumpster, figuring it wasn't worth anything considering my grandmother got it for free. She somehow found out about that and fished it out of the dumpster, just in case in case it was worth something. She didn't know anything about taking care of guitars, so it spend the next 20 some years in her garage. Fortunately, by the time I got it, it only had checking in the finish and was in perfect working order after a new set of strings.

• Members
First was a Montgomery Ward acoustic. I hit a chair with it out of learning frustration.

First electric was a Kappa Continental made by a local music store. Looked sort of like a strat with humbuckers. Not a bad starter guitar.

As I mentioned previously, my first acoustic also came from Montgomery Ward. Plus I met a guy years ago (back in the 1970's) who played a Kappa acoustic. It was a nice guitar, comparable to an Epiphone of the day.

Archived