Harrison Mixbus

• Members

It is totally worth the $20. No brainer for sure. It's biggest flaw is lack of MIDI support right now. As in absolutely none. So it's an audio only daw. But it really does sound good. Kind of like having slate's VCC or similar built in. But it also has a 3-band EQ and compressor/leveler/limiter on every channel and the 8 mixbuss's. It's based on ardour and runs a little behind it's developement. So v3 should be coming soon that will add midi/vi support and more extensive controller options. Harrison has also said they are working on a dedicated controller for it. It's honestly why I've been playing around with Linux. I think it has the potential to he the next big thing. And fwiw I bought it on a no-brainer deal but just decided to be a subscriber. $9 a month and I'll get at least 1/2 off all new plugs (and their plugs are excellent, just look up their xt gate and xt bass character plug videos) they release. And several have been free to subscribers. Plus get v3 free when it's finally released. For $20 why not? I bet you won't regret it.

• Members

Can't seem to edit on my phone. Also wanted to add there's videos on how to route pt into mixbus, and you can also get an app (I forget the name) to import omf/aaf into mixbus. I have the app. It's a cool way to bring pt sessions into mixbus. I find myself using very few plugs and using the built in capabilities to get 90% mixed. The other 10% is more surgical EQ'ing and gating. Plus maybe some other reverbs. But even their gverb can get the job done.

• Members

I picked up Mixbus a while back, it has it's own sound, and emulates the signal chain of their analog and digital consoles.

Great for mixing stems, a little clunky heavy editing and automation.

Good for a streamlined minimal mixing environment, new version improve performance with 3rd party plugs, I tend to use the internal Mixbus plugs for stability.

I'm to dependent on midi for composition and automation in most of my work

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I didn't grab it this time... but I remain interested in it... it's just that between my PC rebuild and a bunch of review stuff, I'm up to my earballs in software installations as it is at the moment.

I'd love to read more about what you guys think of it though. :)

• Members

They've put it on sale a couple of times. And really the subscription idea is pretty affordable IMO. I decided to become a subscriber. I'll now get all updates at no extra cost and great deals when they release new plug-ins. Since I've been using Mixbus several new plugs have been given to subscribers for free. And don't think they're giving away because they're inferior, as IMO their plug ins are excellent. I have their mix essential bundle plus their character bundle and the XT-EQ. The character ones are probably my favorite. Similar concept to surfer EQ. They allow you to adjust the body and overtones of the track/harmonics, rather than set frequencies. It actually tracks the fundamental and the harmonics and adjusts accordingly. Very cool and useful.

Lastly they are a really cool company. The few emails I've sent have been answered promptly and warmly. Not just a quick answer but a nice dialogue. Plus the fact they're willing to pull back the curtains sometimes. On the forums they have a requested features thread, and talk about what users want. And explain sometimes their thinking behind decisions. Not just "this is how we're gonna do it like it or not" response or the "we just won't say anything at all" response, as I've seen from other companies lately. Plus the upcoming controller they've talked about has me really excited. I mean this is Harrison consoles. They know a thing or two about putting together solid mixers. The price my be a little out of my range, but I have no doubt it will be excellent. Anyways I'm sure another sale will come around soon. Maybe the next one will be for the V3 release. That may be the point when they really start gaining some traction. At least IMO.

Archived