The benefit of playing an organized Benefit

• Members

While we're in month #4 of rebrand/rebuild mode we still have a very light club calendar as several previously dependable venues have either closed or stopped having bands altogether. So we had a band meeting last month to discuss dropping our price for trials into new clubs and also playing more public events to gain some exposure. We all agreed as a band we could use more casual exposure to audiences to fortify our following gain some new faces at shows. The funny thing is as NUTS we would get no less than 6-7 requests per month to donate time and performance for some charity. The problem is since we changed names... we have plenty of time but not as many offers rolled in the door. We decided a long time ago that we would only support local charities.... no playing an hour so we could generate $2000 for the American Heart Association when a local non-profit was struggling with raising funds. Then this weekend came the perfect opportunity.

Every year a good friend of mine who is involved in local real estate helps organize and hosts an Autism Awareness Charity. This year's event went to a local performing arts center that worked with autistic kids. We had been booked for a wedding the night of the event... he never asked be about the band participating and I never inquired. Suddenly in mid-March we get word... the wedding is postponed indefinitely (Whoa... something went down... ;) ) So we had a big blank calendar space for Saturday. I contacted my friend about us donating some time for the event... he was sincerely blown away... 'the entire band???' I mentioned I would have to clear it with the band but I wanted to check if the opportunity was there. He confirmed most certainly. We all agreed to book it. The big plus in supporting this event is that it was being hosted at a big private events venue that we frequently play. A wedding banquet center that has 3 private event spaces, a 40 room luxury hotel and a 6 acre garden. In fact we are their exclusive band for public events (We played St. Patty's Day there and are booked NYE). We have a terrific relationship and partner with the venue's manager who was a fan of NUTS and loves the new band and line up. Killing two birds with one stone would be playing for the benefits crowd and also throwing a free event to the venue.

We announced our participation in the event on March 25th and the invite stood at 85 people... by Saturday there were 229 confirmed and another 149 possible. In total more than 350 people attended. In total we helped raise about $8,000. We arrived the night before and setup the full stage setup... drum riser, lights, video display. The event started at 4pm with a local acoustic player filling 5-7pm and we would go on at 10pm with a DJ in between. We would start after the donation raffles.In the past more than 3/4's of the attendees would leave after the raffle. This whole thing would be a big fail if the people left before the first note. The organizer assured us that we would keep the people there. And he was right. Holy smokes what a party. We started at 10:06 and ended at 12:27. One long continuous set. The majority of audience were followers of the band and a ton of NYC cops, fireman who all lived in the area and supported the event (one of the organizers is an NYPD detective and his son has severe autism). There was a fire commissioner there and two chiefs of local departments. In fact we already earned a public event through one department.

Video Link:

[video=youtube;-7FJO7f4U0Y]

The Gain: The pre-event and post event exposure has probably attributed another 50-75 'likes' on our Facebook page in the last week. The buzz is all over FB this morning about the event and the 'after party' (what people are calling our participation). We already had this morning anothe last 72 hours we've had three fresh emails requesting participation in other charity benefits. ;) Of course the bars aren't answering the phones but it's nice to be wanted. LOL

Archived