What I learnt from this Forum after all these years

• Members

I am indebted to all the generous and kind gentlemen here who have been so patient and guided me with their input since I joined this forum. You know who you are :heart:

Thought I'd share what I have learnt from you folks. Now ..These are my personal opinion....and if you disagree with some of them..It is OK. We can agree to disagree, OK?

1) I found that Passive speakers work better for me. They are generally lighter than active Speakers too. The weight issue is crucial to me cos I am not as strong as you men when I set up my Sound System....so every weight reduced is important to me.

I like that I do not need to find a power source individually for each active Speaker. I can pull a speaker cable to each Passive speaker and be done with it.

2) Switch mode Power Amps are very lightweight and are class D. I love how light a Power AMP can be with this technology. I can carry 3 of these Amps fitted in a Flight case easily...and it is still lighter than a single Power Amp with its oversized bulky and heavy Tranformer.

3) There are many types of  Speaker cables...and BELDEN is a respected brand. I learnt that expensive doesnt not mean that the sound will be 'better'...cos cables do not have its own 'sound'. Hi-Fi 'freaks' will always tell me otherwise. I dont know. I'd rather trust the advice given my the people here :smileyvery-happy:

4) To minimise setup and tear down time, a MIXER with Built in Effects and Compressor is a very handy tool to use instead of separates.

5) Each Singer sounds different on each Mic. There is no one Mic that will work well with every singer in the world. Some Vocals are bright...some are mellow and some are in between. It is best to choose a MIC that can bring out the 'best' tone in your vocal. What is 'best' then?  Well..That's open to debate. LOL!

6) For a Sound System that tends to sound bright....it is good to use a mellow sounding Mic as SM58 to tame the highs. If the Sound SYstem lacks brilliance....then a brilliant Mic like E835 will fare better.

7) It is always good to have more HEADROOM than not enough. If it takes 4 full range speakers and 2 power amps to do the job but they are being pushed max out...it is better to add more speakers and more power amps to the same job so that they will be at their comfortable performance level.

8) When you do soundcheck in the empty Ballroom...there will be normally be enough of bass from the subwoofer...but ONce the crowd are in the ballroom...a lot of bass will be absorbed by people. You will need to compensate this with more bass volume to attain a better overall balanced sound.

Ok..I know my input here is nothing great...but that's the best I can convey for noe with my limited English.

I hope this has somehow helped some newbies here. :heart:

• Members

This line right here is the one I wish more people would figure out:

"Each Singer sounds different on each Mic. There is no one Mic that will work well with every singer in the world. Some Vocals are bright...some are mellow and some are in between. It is best to choose a MIC that can bring out the 'best' tone in your vocal. What is 'best' then?  Well..That's open to debate. LOL!"

Good work, sb.

• Members

Yes, good list.

Indeed people will absorb highs

Agreed on the mic thing. All these discussions about what vocal mic never take into account the timbre of one's voice....more than if you are a tenor, alto, screamer, soft, etc. one can be bright, low middy, dark, shrill, etc. still, our job is to use our tools, especially eq, to augment, repair, fix, smooth

Active or passive...I still own both, still find attributes and disadvantages in both. Yea, the extension cord thing is often a hassle, but powering up an amp rack is half of that...just to keep in mind. I am enjoying my presonus mixers with active mains..and monitors. I can leave quite a few things at home. Eqs, comps, effects, power amps.

Archived