Running my subs

• Members

Right now I am running a behringer ep2500 bridged mono and daisy chaining two 8 ohm subs for a total of 4 ohms.

Its rated at 2400 watts / 2 so 1200 per sub. Realistically I know it more around 900 watts per sub.

When you bridge the voltage doubles so would I be better off with say a QSC Gx7 running stereo at 750 a side?

I know about db increase in relation to power. I just want to have as much headroom as possible.

I guess what I am asking in bridged mono are all those watts really there or is it cheating power and not as effective as an amp pushing 200 watts less per side in stereo?

I have a budget system that sounds great for my needs. Community mvp40 subs that i gott for free so I can't complain. The recommended power amp is 600-900 watts. I'm responsible with my gear and don't push it beyond its means.

I've really been thinking about grabbing another ep2500 and running each on a sub bridged mono at 8 ohms.

• Members

sants wrote:

I've really been thinking about grabbing another ep2500 and running each on a sub bridged mono at 8 ohms.

Do that right before you decide to buy a new pair of subs, because you will need them.

You are currently overpowering your subs. Watts don't disappear just because you are in bridged mono. That sub is not particularly efficient, and isn't ever going to get really loud. It is what it is and if you are not getting what you need, you need another sub. More power isn't going to fix it. Aside from that, 200 watts is not enough to even notice.

According to spec sheets (yea..sure I believe them) you are currently putting all the power they will take (and more) into them, and you are getting everything they have to offer. Your path to better sound or more of it, is to replace them with different subs, or live with what they do now. Be careful with what you have now as they are not destined to last with your current system design.

• Members

Honestly, what you're doing now is already too much power for the subs, IMO. If it were me I'd run them in stereo and feed them each 500W. Either way, there's certainly no need to spend a dime on another amp. What you have is fine. Either feed it as you have been or move to running them at 8 ohms, one per side.

• Members

This is actually a 2 ohm load or less on that amp bridged (strapping) and I say COULD be less because of what Aged said about the impedance curve.

This is if you are running two 8 ohm speakers in parallel on a bridged amp.

A bridged amp will 50% of the impedance load.   

This is pretty hard on your amplifier and your damping factor is also not as good as it could be if

you just ran that amp in stereo.

Take everyones advice and run your subs in stereo for more stability.

If you are running in series that is different.

Although if one loudspeaker opens in series the other one will have no signal.

Archived