WHEN IS THIS FORUM GOING TO BE EVEN CLOSE TO A DECENT USER EXPERIENCE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was finally getting used to the old "new" forums.. eesh.

What kills me is the BEST user experience out there is still the classic vBulletin style. The E-cig forum I frequent is 20x busier than this, and runs a little sluggish, but not bad at all. It's all HC should ever hope to achieve- check it out:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/

• Members

I'm gonna guess that older versions of vBulletin probably aren't available to purchase. So using the "classic" style likely wasn't a option. But still I don't understand the pagination problems. It's been weeks now. If this is a vBulletin problem, then why the hell did they release a new version that wasn't ready and why haven't they fixed it already?

If it's something within the content of HC....just dump the old stuff already and start over. I keep hearing about the problems of dealing with "millions" of threads and posts, but do we really need threads from years ago anyway?

Sure, we'll all lose our post counts but who needs those either?

• Members
This reminds me of a situation happening this very second at work. I work for sort of the Google of marketing companies. HUGE and hugely successful. So they buff us out quite nicely on Fridays with free lunch. Very nice. But... if there is no email by noon or so saying "It's ready!" people start getting pissy. Long forgotten are the old Dominoes lunches we used to have to bear. I want my Thai and I want it NOW! :) It's 11:45 and I don't smell anything but your B.O.! Unacceptable! :)

We do the same thing, started about a year ago- only now people complain about the type of food being served, or the day of the week we do it, or a whole host of other things. It's there to let people know they are appreciated and has turned into an entitlement. I don't know how to deal with it, but when people complain to me, I remind them that the free lunch is NOT mandatory and they are welcome to bring their own if they don't like it

• Members

Didn't they already HAVE the old vBulletin? Any way you look at it ...all older versions are available for download if you purchase the current one.

One thing vB5 has going for it is the cloud hosting option. When I put on my IT management hat, one thing I often ask is, "If we have scaling problems, can we throw at money at them to make them go away quickly?".... when the answer is "Yes" --- that is a strong mark in favour of a product and can be the deciding factor in a purchase. A lot of my work is in the telecom field, and failure is simply not an option. It is better to lose money for the short term than it is to drive away customers.

• Members

You know what's really changed between the old forums and the new ones? It looks like the majority of people here now use mobile devices to access them. It seems like almost none of these issues occur -- or do and are insignificant, like having to grab a scrollbar with a mouse to move almost instantly to the top to the go-back-to-topics link -- on traditional devices.

Not an answer, of course, just a neutral observation. I just hope that in fixing the mobile issues, it doesn't ruin the site for those of us who access it the old-fashioned way -- and I have seen sites become unusable for just that reason, one local TV station site in particular that I no longer visit for my local news.

• Members
You know what's really changed between the old forums and the new ones? It looks like the majority of people here now use mobile devices to access them. It seems like almost none of these issues occur -- or do and are insignificant, like having to grab a scrollbar with a mouse to move almost instantly to the top to the go-back-to-topics link -- on traditional devices.

Not an answer, of course, just a neutral observation. I just hope that in fixing the mobile issues, it doesn't ruin the site for those of us who access it the old-fashioned way -- and I have seen sites become unusable for just that reason, one local TV station site in particular that I no longer visit for my local news.

I use my phone to call, text and read books. I don't even use it to surf. God!! What a crummy expereince that would be. I'm definitely not looking to hang out on a forum, typing on my virtual keypad and trying to read threads about shorts and music stands on a 4" retina. I don't even use my iPad for communicating in forums.

• Members

I get the impression that social media forums are losing some of their luster. Maybe the Facebook exodus has something to do with that or just the type that it can attract where it's non stop wannabes and clicky types that tends to chase off anyone with anything normal and rational to talk about. TGP is starting to hit the dirt these days and that's about all there is on the whole of the net. Too bad, but that's social media for you.

Archived