EQ and Gate in fx loop?

thom

• Members

I'm thinking -again- about trying out an fx pedal, to have more control, and maybe help my amp get more into doom/drone territory, even thouygh it's more of a hardrock amp.

I don't expect an eq pedal to turn my amp into a marshall plexi, but if it could help a little bit to give my tone a somewhat saggy low end and give a little more 'zing' to the mids I'd be a happy camper:)

Anyway, would you guys put the EQ pedal before or after a noise gate (Rocktron Hush) that's also in the effects loop? Don't have an eq pedal yet, otherwhise I'd try both options and just decide based on that:) I'm curious though wether anyone ever tried using somekind of noise gate and an eq in their amp's fx loop, both at the same time. For all I know it's a silly idea, and the world'll implode if I try it. So share me yer thoughts please.

I know expecting a couple good replies on such a specific on-topic question would be a long shot, what with the forum the way it is these days.

• Members

Not a silly idea until you try it! You never know what will sound best to you, with your gear, in your hands. That said, traditionally, an EQ doesn't go into an effects loop, but is the last effect in the chain pre-input. The noise gate's a different story. In my opinion, it should follow your dirt (Boost, Overdrive, Distortion and/or Fuzz). Now, if you get your dirt via effects pedals pre input, then that's where I would put the gate...directly after the last dirt pedal pre input. However, if you rely on your amp's preamp for your distortion, then it could make sense to put the gate after that, which means in the effects loop. If you go that route, I would put the gate 1st in the effects loop chain. You probably don't want a gate cutting off the tails of the effects that are most typically found in a loop (chorus, reverb, delay, etc).

Personally, if the only two pedals I had were an EQ and a gate (meaning I was relying on the amp's preamp for dirt), I'd put the gate in the effects loop and the EQ pre input.

That said, you should experiment. You never know what you might stumble on to putting effects in non traditional places.

• Members

I have an old Digitech RP-1 with an effects loop.

In the loop , I have : a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, a Hush noise Reduction Pedal, a MXR 10 band EQ and a BBE Stomp Sonic. I use the effects loop as a solo boost for solos.

The way I view it, everytime you put another input like an effects loop in your signal chain, it's wise to use a noise reduction unit and a sonic maximizer to keep things clean and pristine.

I bet you're gonna have a blast with your new ideas about your tone .... Have a blast and good luck !!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived