So I might be selling my subs!!!

TrickyBoy

• Members

So I got a tour of the new Presonus facility today (their corporate HQ is here in Baton Rouge and they are clients of mine), and their new speakers are AMAZING! We were messing around with these bad boys at ridiculously loud volumes, and man are they amazing:

http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-315AI

The bass response was incredible. We are bringing our PA less and less. Really we only use it for smaller club gigs. Larger clubs all have their own PA's and when we do larger outdoor events, we've been renting one. But I have to say that I think that 2 of these is all we'll need for 150-200 person events. I'll probably pick up that 16x0x2 board at the same time and that will be the entire rig!

• Members
What subs are you using now?

My current subs are actually some custom made jobs with really nice speakers in them. They sound great, but they're huge (dual 18" speakers) and heavy. Plus they're not powered, so I need a power amp, crossover, etc.

• Members

The newer classes of powered subs are pretty tough to beat: lightweight and powerful. And the built-in DSP on that stuff makes all the difference as well. I know there are still a lot of guys out there that, for whatever reason, prefer their passive stuff with amps and crossovers and dialing it all in themselves, but the newer stuff is just crazy simple and sounds better usually. Especially in the hands of guys like me who aren't sound pros.

And if you have one of those digital mixers? Yeah, your system is pretty much just mixer and speakers and a few cables. And for guys like you that play the same venues a lot, the mixers are great because you can just set the mix for each room into memory.

The other thing you can do with the digital mixers---since you're talking about going IEMs---is set them up so everyone can mix their own monitors via iPhone or iPad. Or at least I know you can do that with some of them. Not sure about the Presonus.

• Members

Pretty sure you'd be happy with that set up. I do highly recommend a Mac if your not a computer geek and wanna record your live gigs . Which I use a mac mini with splashtop desktop remote app for my iPad which Rick uses a different VNC app which is free but just sharing the video to give you ideal how it works with mac mini and iPad combo and VNC app.

[video=youtube;DBccrWr7tyE]

• Members

I'll agree, the speakers aren't cheap, but I can probably sell my subs and current tops for $1,500-$2,000 which will get me over halfway there. And to me it's worth getting it so that my whole PA can fit into my Nissan Cube!!!

• Members
I'll agree' date=' the speakers aren't cheap, but I can probably sell my subs and current tops for $1,500-$2,000 which will get me over halfway there. And to me it's worth getting it so that my whole PA can fit into my Nissan Cube!!![/quote']While those Fulcrum Acoustic OEMs are probably pretty darn good I'd want to test drive them at a real gig before selling off my present system?

• Members
I'm pretty sure that Agedhorse listened to them at Namm show and said they sounded pretty good.

Oh, I have no doubt that they sound pretty good. Just with the Presonus' being $1399 and the others being $849, they'd have to pretty solidly out-perform before I choose them.

• Members

I've heard Fulcrums before and there is nothing as loud as them that out-HiFi's them - my only reservation in this case is if they have enough low end to work in this application without subs. It's pretty easy with modern DSP to make 15" tops sound full and low - until they run out of excursion and the DSP rolls up the HPF (AKA excursion limiting). You really can't tell until you get them into a real venue at volume.

• Members

If you are gonna go powered sub to cover 150-200 my first choice is the Yorkville ls801p and a really close 2nd is the JBL 618 or 718s xlf. The JBL's are lighter and tighter but the yorkies are more powerful. 3rd are the QSC KW181. As far as mixers go digital is the way to go and there a few out there and MORE coming out in the next 6 months. There are better values out now than the Presonus and more out later this yr , if you do go Presonus look for Joe Coslen hes a bud and a certified Presonus dealer 504.264.3222 New Orleans

985.327.8242 Northshore

985.969.0064 Hammond

Archived