When you KNOW it was time to quit

FitchFY

• Members

I love the posts here about "how do you know it's time to quit?" as that's never been a concern for me - I get out when it seems like it's time. So today, I turned in notice with my soul/ funk band. I really loved the music and the guys, but the band is going nowhere very slowly, and even when the set list is there, it wouldn't be lucrative or go the way it would need to pick up steam.

But I share this because of the topic line of this thread. I sent out my friendly e-mail stepping back, and within five minutes, the guitarist had sent an e-mail mirroring my thoughts on "yeah, I agree, I've been thinking it's time to call it, as well," and the singer was maybe 10 minutes behind him. When 3/5 of the band was all thinking they were going to call it... that's when you KNOW it's time to quit. :)

Everyone is still friends - no drama, no gigs to cancel, and the bassist/ singer and I have an original band together. Just part of the journey of the local musician!

• Members
Hey, now that you all are available, maybe you can start a band!

Seriously, we could reform as a more productive ensemble... ha! My 2014 is shaping up very nicely with an existing party rock band, and forming a nifty group focusing on a lot of `90s stuff and some funk/ arena rock -- an interesting combination of stuff. Between those two, my original band, mountain biking, getting married this fall, and my full time job, I think I've got a full dance card!

But I DO love keeping a busy gig calendar... hmmm.

• Members

And this is a MAJOR reason to always talk about band changes with EVERYONE in attendance. Even if you're planning on replacing a member. Make the transition smooth and easy. Secret meetings work against smooth transitions. (ALWAYS!)

• Members
And this is a MAJOR reason to always talk about band changes with EVERYONE in attendance. Even if you're planning on replacing a member. Make the transition smooth and easy. Secret meetings work against smooth transitions. (ALWAYS!)

Yup, I always maintain that the reason I've had a pretty easy time in bands is because I was a Communications major. It's what I do for a living. Never been fired from a band, never really any bad blood when done with projects -- smooth sailing for the most part. Toss in a sense of humor and a good work ethic and it keeps you employed. :)

Archived