Twee....anybody playing it?

3shiftgtr

• Members

I actually just heard that term for the first time a few nights ago when Harry Connick Jr used it to describe a Colbie Callait/Jason Mraz song being sung on American Idol. (Yes, that's how lame I am. I get all my cultural-awareness from network TV singing contests....) Apparently the term is specifically for those sugary-sweet soft songs.

Not sure if CMM qualifies or not. I'll have to ask the young singer in my band next time I see her. Maybe she can send me a selfie that will show me what she thinks of twee or something....

• Members

I'm not sure of the references that are being used here, but that term has been around for decades in underground pop music (and I think in lit circles too). Lightweight, minimal instrumentation (Twee Heavy Metal would be oxymoronic), non-macho posturing, and if being critical, posturing in a wimpy way. Belle and Sebastion are twee. The Juno soundtrack is hella twee. Syd Barrett's Edward Lear whimsical lyrics were twee, if the music of early Pink Floyd wasn't always.

Whimsy is twee. There ya go, that's a good definition.

The original music I make is pretty damn twee, and me not daring to put it up here as an example is a twee kinda decision.

Archived