Cardioid sub arrays

• Members

Don,

I'm confused. While no expert in cardioid arrays, I believe each successive speaker adds to the sound wave as it arrives (in phase) by clever delays between the arrays. The advantage being that the sound does not add constructively in the opposite direction. I would think this would increase the volume of the wave, at least in the direction the array is pointed, no?

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

Is this a common deployment ? Is it seen as a rider spec?

There isn't "a" cardioid deployment.....there are dozens of them and each one of them accomplish something a bit different. I doubt you are going to see it as a rider spec but a bands crew might spec a DSP with a specific number of inputs and outputs so they can do what they want/need on the day of the event....but it's unlikely you are going to see that often either

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

For just about every guy here, it's probably way to the right of the decimal point given other important aspects of a system like having enough rig for the gig.

So true..

Tomm -  I think a partial reason for the dearth of responses is that this topic has been discussed numerous times on the various forums.  Lots of good info in those threads and there are several detailed white papers out there in cybr space  as well.  There are also Dave Rat's youtube videos on the subject.  And as to Aged's comment, it is for the most part an advanced application that requires plenty of processing power, additional set up and testing time, and possibly additional subs.  It seems to be something the pros do only to solve a specific problem because inevitably there are trade offs.

It seldom seems worthwhile at the "lounge" level. That being said,  IF you have time, and IF there is a good enough reason, or you just like playing around, I'm all for it.  In my limited experience  have had mixed results varyingfrom  "couldn't really tell much difference" to a definite win at an indoor venue that historically had a very boomy stage.

Unexpected things can happen as well at "our" level.  I had an outdoor gig where I set up a center clustered cardioid array.   I was going for maximum rear rejection.  It was very effective with markedly reduced sub wash on the stage.  Well three out of the five bands complained that there was not enough low end.  It was plenty strong out front but they were sure I was giving the crowd a weak mix.  I guess a lot of weekend bands are just used to swimming in kick and bass spilling back  from the mains.   Or maybe I  mis-applied the technique or over did it.  Still - it is fun to experiment!

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

For just about every guy here, it's probably way to the right of the decimal point given other important aspects of a system like having enough rig for the gig.

Absolutely correct but it is more fun to talk about the latest greatest cardioid sub array than to talk about the latest greatest handtruck that climbs stairs

• Members

In the last 100 gigs with touring systems coming into my venue, I have seen exactly one cardioid array and the results were no better and no worse in practice than the house system or the other 99 systems. It's not a universal technique, even a few rungs up on the food chain

Archived