Big 4 Tribute Show

• Members

Hey fellas, thought I'd post a few clips of my Megadeth tribute band performing in Houston's Big 4 Tribute show this past weekend. Was a pretty cool event, hope those of you that are old school metal heads enjoy.

Wake Up Dead -

In My Darkest Hour -

Set The World Afire -

• Members

Dude Nice. Sorry non of the other stuck ups didn't reply guess they too cool to post a reply. Like your b drum head that's very cool. I want one.

So I have a question or questions.....how did your band form? I am assuming 4 die hard fans? How do you deal with doing the same artist music all the time?

If your a tribute band does that mean you try to copy as much as you can from Megadeth as in cymbals, brand of drums, tunings etc?

Was the audio direct in or recorded off camera mic?

Saw a Judas Priest tribute band once in Minneapolis, wow, that drummer even had old school paiste 2002's to compliment the original drummer, Singer had the glasses bald head and could sing like halford. I guess when they practice they even do a full setup to make sure they always had their sound tuned in to their system, sounds like overkill but they were so on. I could have watched those two guitar players all night, complimented each other so well. Very hard to find any band with two guitarists that actually work together. Usually it's two battling out for leads and who's wiener is bigger.

• Members
Dude Nice. Sorry non of the other stuck ups didn't reply guess they too cool to post a reply. .

Nah. Not too cool. I think it's mostly because the OP contributes virtually nothing to the forum except to start threads featuring videos of his band. I'm sure he's a good guy and all, and his bands are fine, but forum interaction is a two-way street.

• Members

Hey Ncchangin, thanks for checking them out man. The band was put together by the 'Dave Mustaine' of the band. We all play in several bands around Houston and he contacted each of us to see if we were interesed in putting this tribute together. All of us are definitely die hard fans so it's a very fun project to do from time to time. We do strive to sound as much like the original as we can, but our 'Dave' is the only one in the band that needs to go into 'character' for the shows. My gear isn't near as good or set up quite like other Megadeth drummers, so I just strive to play the material as acurate as I can. I recorded our show with a Zoom Q3HD camera which I love. Thanks for the comments man!

• Members

Nah. Not too cool. I think it's mostly because the OP contributes virtually nothing to the forum except to start threads featuring videos of his band. I'm sure he's a good guy and all, and his bands are fine, but forum interaction is a two-way street.

Guido, I totally agree with your above statement. This is a give and take, that's what makes this a forum.

Not that I feel that I need to defend myself & probably wouldn't have responded at all had it not been from a credible member, but I've been in here enough to recognize that you are very active in most discussions I've seen on here, and with very valid points that I typically respect. So this reply is primarily an attempt to keep your view of me somewhat positive. I do get on here from time to time and watch others posts, including yours, and enjoy this forum everytime I find the time to get on here. I do wish it was more often but by no means do I want to come accross as strictly a spammer. However, I can see how that opinion is formed from people who are able to be on this forum and contribute as much as you are able to versus how much I contribute. I enjoy sharing my videos on here because it is very gratifiying talking about music with others that do what I do, like yourself. Anyway, long story short, I contribute when I can contribute and interact as well, just on a MUCH smaller scale from you. No hard feelings on what you said, as I totally agree with every word, I just wanted to state the fact that I do enjoy this forum for many reasons, not just self promotion.

• Members

It's not that you contribute less than anyone, it's just that I've never seen you post in any thread that wasn't one you started about your videos. So yeah, it does feel like spamming to me. Too bad, because you're clearly a talented, experienced player working with some really good bands. You'd no doubt have a lot of opinions, advice and anecdotes that we'd all enjoy and learn from. But it's all cool. You're free to post whatever you like. I just didn't appreciate being called stuck up or too cool because I have no greater desire to participate in your threads than you apparently do in anyone else's. But, by all means....join the forum! The more the merrier!

• Members

Guido why the personal attacks on the poster? You babble about your band all the time and how your a corporate band etc, but your one of the cool kids so it's ok. I get it. You must have sat in the front of the classroom and gave the teachers stuff your momma told you to bring for extra points.

Oh but a metal band isn't cool compared to a variety band. I get that too. I guess why'd you even post you brought nothing to the discussion. Look forward to your book, don't forget to put in a bibliography and put it in chapters please.

Live action on the forum today. heh

• Members

What personal attack on the OP? I simply opined that if people aren't responding to his posted video it's likely because that's ALL he posts. At least that's my reason. I complimented the first half dozen or so videos he posted. After that, it was kind of hard to see the point if he doesn't wish to contribute more than just posting his videos. It has nothing at all with being "too cool" or "stuck up" or the style of music.

He can post them if he wants. People can choose to look at them or not, and even if they do, choose to post a reply or not. Choosing not to makes someone "stuck up"? Why?

Again, if he contributed more to the forum than just some "hey, check out my latest video!" threads, I think he'd get a different response. I don't think saying so is a personal attack.

• Members

Fellas, it's all good. We are all in the drumming community and therefore a family so to speak with one another, no need to attack. I respect everyone's opnion & didn't take anything as a personal jab. Guido's posts are right on the money. I don't post my videos for adulation, just merely sharing my live performace experiences for others with similar musical interests to perhaps check out. Ncchangin I do appreciate you going to bat on my behalf, but I wasn't offended by Guido's initial post. I'm not on here daily, but when I am on here Guido is nothing but respectful to any conversation I've been involved in with him. Much respect to both of you, Rock on!

• Members

Respect back atcha! But you know...I think you're the only one coming in here doing the tribute band thing right now which is a BIG deal these days. Personally, I really would like to hear some background stories and advice coming from that end of the business. I'm sure we could all learn much. Your vids are great, but I'd really like to hear more about the day-to-day of your bands and your gigs.

IMO, this place needs as many perspectives as possible.

Don't be shy with the posts!

• Members
Respect back atcha! But you know...I think you're the only one coming in here doing the tribute band thing right now which is a BIG deal these days. Personally, I really would like to hear some background stories and advice coming from that end of the business. I'm sure we could all learn much. Your vids are great, but I'd really like to hear more about the day-to-day of your bands and your gigs.!

Ditto. I'm especially curious in that your Ozzy tribute makes a bunch of sense to me, but I'd figure a Megadeth tribute is limited to venues and stuff. Lots of questions about your goals, business model, and then of course some fun on the playing stuff, but hey, I just like seeing other drummers posting here.

• Members

Yes indeed the drum sound on megadeth was unique, always had that wet splat sound esp bass drum. I heard (don't know if it's true) that metallica on their old albums would replace drum heads for each take to get that new head sound. I know a lot of the tricks of the trade live are tuning that click frequency on the bass drum mic, curious as to how the drummer had his kit.heads tuned.setup and if you try to copy that sound to a certain album or era?

• Members
Yes indeed the drum sound on megadeth was unique, always had that wet splat sound esp bass drum. I heard (don't know if it's true) that metallica on their old albums would replace drum heads for each take to get that new head sound. I know a lot of the tricks of the trade live are tuning that click frequency on the bass drum mic, curious as to how the drummer had his kit.heads tuned.setup and if you try to copy that sound to a certain album or era?

Vinnie Paul said that he used to put a quarter under a slam pad when adhering it to the bass drum batter head to get the "click" he wanted on the bass drum. I wonder if Nick Menza messed with stuff like that, too.

• Members

Ditto. I'm especially curious in that your Ozzy tribute makes a bunch of sense to me, but I'd figure a Megadeth tribute is limited to venues and stuff. Lots of questions about your goals, business model, and then of course some fun on the playing stuff, but hey, I just like seeing other drummers posting here.

I hear ya FItchFY, I enjoy seeing other drummers as well & that's really the sole reason for my postings. Just trying to share some footage as we are all for the most part, gigging drummers on here. My decision for participating in these 'Tributes' is pretty much based on A) what kind of music I enjoy playing and B) if there is a market for it. I also gig with a pretty cool classic rock cover band that actually works more then these two projects but I tend to stick with sharing these 'Tribute' band videos simply because they are unique. I am very fortunate to be living in Houston because there is such a large amount of venues to work in & all 3 of these working bands uses a completely different rotation of clubs we get to play in for the most part. But to me that's a good thing because that gets my foot in the door regularly to a larger number of places to play. Here in Houston you will always have gigs as a classic rock band, but your also competing with an unlimited amount of other classic rock bands, so its' hard to seperate yourself. Luckily the Tribute scene here is {censored}-hot and that opens up a lot of new doors that I would never have had the opportunity to do in any cover band. The Ozzy/Black Sabbath band does very well since it appeals to a larger group of people, the Megadeth is limited, but I book gigs for each band based on the demand. I could gig every weekend with the cover band if I chose to, Ozz we play religiously once to twice a month every month & the Megadeth band is more like once a quarter so it all works out very well.

• Members

Vinnie Paul said that he used to put a quarter under a slam pad when adhering it to the bass drum batter head to get the "click" he wanted on the bass drum. I wonder if Nick Menza messed with stuff like that, too.

I used to do this in high school to get that And Justice For All type "click"

Archived