MIDI Guitar from Jam Origin

Dual Trace

• Members

I’m contemplating getting the Jam Origin MIDI guitar software and wanted to check some feedback on this forum, but couldn’t. I could not search for it.

I was away from the forums for a while and checking back today I found out I can’t search the good old way. Google asked me to register. I don’t have a google account and hope can live without.

Thank you,

Dual Trace

• Members

I have it and its pretty awesome. I had bought a Roland GR-20 with pickup just to use as a midi source with my guitar but the Jam Origin, IMO, tracks better and you don't need a pickup or anything.

Is it still $99 for the App? I think its well worth it. I tried the trial and just coughed up the money. I'm primarily a guitar player, ands $99 is less than most pedals, and for what the Midi app does, that $99 goes a long way.

• Members

Why did you have to buy the GR-20? My understanding is it can work with any electric as long as you have an audio interface, so I have just bought the POD studio GX from Line 6. I only quickly looked through the manual, but I haven’t installed anything yet.

I’m a classical guitar player and I’m not familiar with the jargon, so I have trouble understanding if anything else is needed in order to make the Jam Origin software work.

I’m not even sure I understand what the POD does and what I can do with the POD itself.

I have not checked the price, I’m a remote control airplane hobbyist and this is way more expensive than the guitar stuff.

Thanks,

Dual Trace

• Members

Midi guitars usually use a hex phonic midi pickup which consists of 6 separate elements, one for each string.

They also have a hardware device that deciphers the six signals and can be programed for each strings sensitivity

as well as provide midi voices, touch sensitivity etc. Its output can be analog voices that can be amplified/recorded through an

analog to digital interface, or midi data that can be connected to a computer where the midi voices are supplied or recorded.

A normal pickup combines all signals into one wire, a midi pickup uses 6 wires.

The program probably converts a single string tone into a midi signal at a time.

The analog signal has to be converted to digital to get it into the computer as a binary signal first.

It can then be sent to the program and converted to a midi signal. There are issues though.

Its highly unlikely it can convert more than one string/one note at a time because

of how a analog wave is shaped. The software needs a simple sine wave to detect and convert to a midi signal.

When you send multiple notes through at the same time it confuses the software and makes it go nuts because

It separate multiple notes occurring at once. It will simply take the loudest one and try to convert it.

It cannot lock onto and separate multiple tones coming from a single source.

A midi pickup converts the strings individually and can trigger multiple voices (polyphonic)

This is much like a keyboard does. It has multiple switches to trigger multiple notes.

The guitar has to have a hex phonic pickup to do this. Along with that you tweak each

strings sensitivity and duration so it triggers the proper note for the proper length of time.

These are things you cannot do using a regular pickup or microphone, or piezo mic.

If you have more than one not being sent to the software it cant decipher the notes. It has a hard enough

time dealing with a stringed instruments over tones and will occasionally jump octaves or give momentary intervals.

The pod you spoke of will convert analog to a digital signal so the software will work.

You still need some kind of mic/piezo and preamp system for your classical guitar.

The strings are plastic so a magnetic acoustic guitar pickup isn't going to work.

I would focus on getting the guitar amplified, with a good built in preamp EQ first.

Using a mic to trigger a midi program isn't going to work so hot.

The Hex Pickup only works with steel strings so its not going to be an option

in any case. You may be able to do it with a multiple piezo element that has a single saddle for each string.

They may make a system for acoustic instruments but I doubt it. The saddle's have to make contact with the body

and transmit the string tone to the guitar top to sound good, and even if the elements were separate the sound from

one string would simply be conducted to the next strings element via the guitar body.

On an electric you aren't worried about body tones so much so you can isolate the string tones from the body and pass the

individual string vibrations into single pickup poles or piezo elements without compromising the overall tone like you would on an acoustic.

• Members

WRGKMC,

Thank you for the extensive write up, but I was not talking about that kind of MIDI guitar.

The MIDI guitar software from Jam Origin works with any electric guitar with standard pickup. That’s the beauty of it, it works with your existing electric, you don’t need to buy a MIDI guitar. Some smart guys created the software that uses the signal coming from a standard electric to extract the MIDI stream. And, yes it’s polyphonic. It works when you play chords too.

Check it on youtube, there are plenty of demo videos posted by the producer and also by users.

Archived