Saw a pretty good band last night.

StratGuy22

• Members

Friend of a friend. Good guys, all older, late 40's early 50's. did a good job. EAW rig, a pair of 215's and a 12" top per side. Monitors for3 and the singe had IEM's. they sounded pretty good. I mentioned the guitar could have been a bit louder so they brought him up for the rest of the night. The singer was a touch loud but not enough to mention. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Basic light show but it worked out for them. I always have my lights on the band as an Amber/White mix. I think I have to break out of that and start adding some color to the band. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- My buddy chooses bands for our local music festival. I provided sound for second stage the first 3 years, then it outgrew what I could do. Year 4 I helped out at mainstage. Year 4 same thing. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Here's a pic from 2 years ago. Last year that upper field was full of trailers as well. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- D8BA817C-B727-4544-9376-30164EF6C12A-29732-000013006432A9B8_zpsb70185c5.jpg -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Year 5 they wanted to do an open mic last minute, I ended up turning it down because it was going to be for free. I said budget for it, for next year. They did scrape together some gear from a mutual buddy for free. He felt bad but I said no problem, I just couldn't do it for free, so I gave him a hand setting up etc. we did what we could and had fun. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Then last year they did make room in the budget for me, so we were good to go. The open mic ran from 7pm until 4:30am, it was a blast! Handshake deal for this year, same price. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Subs. Tops, 3 mics, 4 monitors, mic the kick, DI the bass, StudioLive 16.0.2 remote mixed via iPad, and a couple of Fab5's -----------------paragraph break lol -------------------

-----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- So I'm in contact with my buddy, and I talked it over with my band. And I'm doing the open mic again, and my band will open it up with a 40 minute set to kick it off. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- This year the want to start loading trailers on Thursday to help lessen the bottleneck on Friday. So one thing they want is to have 3 bands form the city to play mainstage, and I'll do sound for the night. It's more to just have something for the campers to come see. I pitched the idea of adding my band to close the night with a set it two, and he's game. He's going to get back to me with a price. I'm being paid pretty good to provide sound for the night. I've never suggested it to my band because they usually offer less than our going rate. But I talked it over with the guys and they are in, it will be a lot of fun. $100 - $150/man would work. We are each getting a weekend pass for the open mic and they are $160 each. I mentioned a second round of passes for the Thursday gig but he's going to pay the band instead, that works for me as well. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- So it's not a slot during the main festival but lots of people always talk about the open mic at the end being their favorite part, and to end the thurdsday night will be a good spot as well. -----------------paragraph break lol ------------------- Pretty stoked for that weekend! Lady year they had 5,000 in attendance and this year they are expecting between 5,000 - 10,000 people! It's grown from the 150 people we had the first year!!

• Members

Something weird that happened that night, ran into a buddies wife at the bar. I just said hi, she talked a bit to my buddy and then wandered back to the group of people she was with. This was last Saturday night... Early Sunday morning she passed away. Nice person, leaves behind her husband and 6 kids. :(

Archived