We've Got A Pretty Cool Light Show..

sventvkg

• Members

I always do the "Superstition" bass line in the higher octave, on the 7th 9th for the E and D and then jump up on the G for the B, G, E descending part but watching you play it effortlessly down in 2nd position is making me seriously reconsider this for live work: it adds more growl and low end for a live setting. Damn fine bass work my man. Love how you and that drummer sit in the pocket; he has a real authentic laid back feel that isn't seen or heard often. Great band Sean!

• Members

^ My take on them old songs that had bass lines played higher like that was that they did that for the radio. Live you can get plenty of note definition all the way down to the "D" on the"B" string if you don't cut the carp out of your mids like some are wont to smiley-frustrated .

• Members
I always do the "Superstition" bass line in the higher octave, on the 7th 9th for the E and D and then jump up on the G for the B, G, E descending part but watching you play it effortlessly down in 2nd position is making me seriously reconsider this for live work: it adds more growl and low end for a live setting. Damn fine bass work my man. Love how you and that drummer sit in the pocket; he has a real authentic laid back feel that isn't seen or heard often. Great band Sean!

Rick is a great drummer. Was with Gretchen Wilson for 3 years and Colt Ford for a bunch, Ty Herndon and a slew of others. Did all the big tours, played the Super Bowl.

It never occured to me to play Superstition bass lines way up on the neck as it's a Mini Moog bass line on the record and where I'm playing it on the D and G strings 2nd position sounds relatively the same pitch-wise to me. I believe in economy same as my guitar playing. If I can play stuff without flying all over the neck that's my default :) Thanks for the compliments on the band. It's a really good group and that was only our 5th gig so we're just getting tighter. A few more and we'll be buzzing along nicely.

• Members
^ My take on them old songs that had bass lines played higher like that was that they did that for the radio.

And in this case, a synth bass part. I don't think Stevie was really trying to imitate what a bass guitar would necessarily play. Every bass player I've ever done this song with has always played it lower. And especially if you've got a guitarist doing the main riff---otherwise the bass and guitar would just be in the same octave which I think would make the song sound pretty empty.

• Members

Definitely NOT in the same octave as a guitar LOL and no, it doesn't sound empty at all actually. I've got a subharmonic generator. With it on and played in the high position it sounds pretty kickass actually; reminiscent of the kind of riffs Chuck Rainey used to do a lot of. I'd just gotten sorta used to doing it that way. Probably will keep doing it that way; adds a little flair to a song that is played by a lot of bands.

• Members

Effect units aside, if the OP played the bass part an octave higher, he'd be playing in the same octave as his guitarist. Not to say playing it an octave higher wouldn't work---I haven't heard you do it---but it wouldn't be my choice for an arrangement. I think the low E the OP is playing sounds great.

• Members

Personally I think it sounds thin as HELL for the guitarist to double that horn line. Ours sticks to the rhythm parts during that section, so I do the bass line in the higher octave, take the lead as it were.

I had to actually think about a little; I play what I think SOUNDS good at the time and with the band I'm playing with.

• Members
Effect units aside, if the OP played the bass part an octave higher, he'd be playing in the same octave as his guitarist. Not to say playing it an octave higher wouldn't work---I haven't heard you do it---but it wouldn't be my choice for an arrangement. I think the low E the OP is playing sounds great.

What's it matter. We have a 5 piece band. Also, I've never seen a bass player play it an octave higher and I've been playing the tune and watching others do it for 30 years, so it's not common to my experience and sounds good where i'm playing it. Our band does it OK. My band which I lead with my boy Mark on Keys did it a LOT better..I like to combine the SRV guitar part with the Stevie Wonder Keys version. Nirvana!! :)

• Members
What's it matter. We have a 5 piece band. Also, I've never seen a bass player play it an octave higher and I've been playing the tune and watching others do it for 30 years, so it's not common to my experience and sounds good where i'm playing it. Our band does it OK. My band which I lead with my boy Mark on Keys did it a LOT better..I like to combine the SRV guitar part with the Stevie Wonder Keys version. Nirvana!! :)
Yeah, combining the two versions---so the keyboard player can play the brass and since the original clav part is practically impossible to play live and so the guitarist has SOMETHING to do---is how I've always done the tune. And how I've heard most bands do it. I've never heard any bass player do it an octave higher either. I think your band sounds great on it. Your keys players is a bit inconsistent on the horn part, but not enough that anyone would notice or care live. And almost certainly better than I would do it. :) Good stuff, man. Can't wait to see when you get your video demo together!

• Members

See I think that's what happens when people get married to a parrot mentality. Clogs up the ears. The horn line is the lead line. That damn synth bass part isn't even needed; it's icing on the cake. Bottom line is it's a HIGH REGISTER LEAD LINE. Sean has a keyboard to cover that line. I don't. So I cover it on my bass. Starting to lose my faith in "musicians". DO y'all even listen or is it all according to the script? Fact is, Superstition is PLAYED OUT. Damn near EVERY band around here has that in their setlist. Kinda sick of the tune to be honest. So HELL YEAH I am going to try and listen and find a way to be musical and dare I say, UNIQUE on this tired-ass song.

• Members
See I think that's what happens when people get married to a parrot mentality. Clogs up the ears. The horn line is the lead line. That damn synth bass part isn't even needed; it's icing on the cake. Bottom line is it's a HIGH REGISTER LEAD LINE. Sean has a keyboard to cover that line. I don't. So I cover it on my bass. Starting to lose my faith in "musicians". DO y'all even listen or is it all according to the script? Fact is, Superstition is PLAYED OUT. Damn near EVERY band around here has that in their setlist. Kinda sick of the tune to be honest. So HELL YEAH I am going to try and listen and find a way to be musical and dare I say, UNIQUE on this tired-ass song.

Whether it's "played out" or not is subjective and varying. If it's still working for a band, then obviously it isn't played out for them.

As far as arrangements go? That's subjective too. You kind of lose me when you talk about playing 'according to the script' as if it's a bad thing and then being worried about the synth bass part being just like the record at the same time. Each band needs to work up songs according to their individual instrumentation and musicianship. Find what works best for the group of players and singers you have. I've heard that song played with the horn part and without it. With keys playing the main riff and with a guitar doing it. With a horn section or without. It's all good if it fits sound and style of the group, if the groove is solid, and if the vocals are selling it. Personally I think any live arrangement for a current dance band that didn't have some bass notes down in the E1 area would be lacking. Low end is essential for keeping your dance floor moving.

But that's only true until the point that I'm proven wrong. I'm sure somewhere there's a version being performed on all flutes and piccolos that kicks ass.

• Moderators

As far a an E1 sort of being ground zero for a dance floor... sure. I guess. But it's kind of like the logic that an 808 kick makes the floor. Then, well... at least a 22" kick. then you hear a 20"... or an 18" kick, and the bassist is playing an octave E bass riff a la For the Love of Money, and the dance floor is all smiles... there are plenty of ways to kick ass and it isn't always the extended low end that does it.

• Members
there are plenty of ways to kick ass and it isn't always the extended low end that does it.

Of course. Just sayin' that all other things being equal, I'm not sure why somebody would choose to play the bass part on a song like Superstition in a higher octave. Especially for a band with a rather standard 5-piece bar/dance band lineup. What was cool and hip in 1974 isn't necessarily going to be the best arrangement choice in 2014. (Unless, of course, it is. Once again...no set rules to this stuff.)

And, again, whatever works for your band is what works for your band. Every deal is different. But---generally speaking---I personally prefer to take the approach of looking to update older material and keep the arrangements relevant rather than trying to cop note-for-note what was really cool 40 years ago.

• Members
The bass line is an octave up not exactly where I'm playing it on the Dean G string mostly. The last notes B A G are up on the G string as you can see me playing it. That's the correct octave of the baseline if you're saying that it should be another octave up I disagree with you and my ears are up there with the best of them. Yes I agree superstition is a bit played out but it does get people to dance floor so it's fine plus it gives Dan the guitar player a break when I sing.

EDIT: I just listened to it in my studio it's in the Octave where i'm playing it..It's deceiving though because it's a Moog bass..But on bass guitar where i'm playing it sounds correct on those smaller strings..but either way it won't make a difference so why even debate it..It's {censored}ing stupid and redundant.....I agree a lot of bands play the song but 99% DESTROY it because most drummers couldn't find a funk groove if they {censored} it out and the vast majority of keyboardists can't play it, not to mention the guitarists who solo all over it and the singers with no soul attempting to sing it...So again, a redundant argument.

Just {censored}ing JAM...Doesn't matter what you play if you KILL IT and can't be denied!!! :)

Archived