We've Got A Pretty Cool Light Show..

sventvkg

• Members

Keys are live..Poor guy is off to the left of me:(...We have 2 big accuscan 250's I think...2 bigger moving heads and 2 smaller ones in front of the drums on stands..There some kind of bar on the floor in front of the drums and a bunch of bars attatched to stands and on the speakers..Pretty minimal set up actually but Dan the guitar player used to program for big artists like Journey etc so he's good with them..

• Moderators

Nice Dobie Gray!!! Really good job nailing that vocal.Great lights. Question...

Why is it that nobody seems to create footswitchable scenes. All the chase lights and activity are great for bringing a sense of excitement to the stage and dancefloor. It's really well done. Still, by creating a few scenes, one for you as lead vocalist and the the other members slightly back (either through color or intensity), one for the guitarist's solos, etc. Then, while the lights are chasing, working up the activity and excitement, there's still that focus at different times on the different performers.

A simple switch from Scene 1, you singing, to scene 3, guitar solo, (crossfade) while the chase lights are still doing their thing... quick fade to black at end of tune. would be awesome and simple. I used to run a 6 scene system, play bass and sing, mix FOH and 3 monitor mixes. Funny thing, it's not all that much work. I just notice a emphasis on chase lights and less so on scenes highlighting the real time musician activity.

And I don't mean with you... but with everyone that I've seen here. And please don't get me wrong, this looks fantastic and the band sounds KILLER!

• Members
So do y'all play to a click so that the lights stay with the band???

I used to do that song in another band playing basically that same arrangement. The horn part was always interesting to play because it's SO behind the beat. That's why I asked if it was live or tracked, because the timing would be difficult to track properly (I would think) and it sounded very 'live' here.

• Members
Nice Dobie Gray!!! Really good job nailing that vocal.Great lights. Question... Why is it that nobody seems to create footswitchable scenes. All the chase lights and activity are great for bringing a sense of excitement to the stage and dancefloor. It's really well done. Still, by creating a few scenes, one for you as lead vocalist and the the other members slightly back (either through color or intensity), one for the guitarist's solos, etc. Then, while the lights are chasing, working up the activity and excitement, there's still that focus at different times on the different performers. A simple switch from Scene 1, you singing, to scene 3, guitar solo, (crossfade) while the chase lights are still doing their thing... quick fade to black at end of tune. would be awesome and simple. I used to run a 6 scene system, play bass and sing, mix FOH and 3 monitor mixes. Funny thing, it's not all that much work. I just notice a emphasis on chase lights and less so on scenes highlighting the real time musician activity. And I don't mean with you... but with everyone that I've seen here. And please don't get me wrong, this looks fantastic and the band sounds KILLER!
We use a foot switch to chance between scenes. I have to make the time to organize the scenes better. I use an FCB1010, which gives me 10 banks, 10 scenes per bank and 2 volume style pedals. I have to reorganize the scenes as follows for each bank: 1: intro 2: verse 3: chorus 4: chorus 5: solo 6: solo 7: finish 8: big finish 9: bigger finish 10: blackout Volume pedal 1: hazer Volume pedal 2: front lights on the band With the blackout, I always leave the lights on the band, so basically it blacks out the back truss. I might change that and have every other one as a blackout, sometimes just a basic wash between songs is fine.

• Members
Nice Dobie Gray!!! Really good job nailing that vocal.Great lights. Question...

Why is it that nobody seems to create footswitchable scenes. All the chase lights and activity are great for bringing a sense of excitement to the stage and dancefloor. It's really well done. Still, by creating a few scenes, one for you as lead vocalist and the the other members slightly back (either through color or intensity), one for the guitarist's solos, etc. Then, while the lights are chasing, working up the activity and excitement, there's still that focus at different times on the different performers.

A simple switch from Scene 1, you singing, to scene 3, guitar solo, (crossfade) while the chase lights are still doing their thing... quick fade to black at end of tune. would be awesome and simple. I used to run a 6 scene system, play bass and sing, mix FOH and 3 monitor mixes. Funny thing, it's not all that much work. I just notice a emphasis on chase lights and less so on scenes highlighting the real time musician activity.

And I don't mean with you... but with everyone that I've seen here. And please don't get me wrong, this looks fantastic and the band sounds KILLER!

Yea right now I think he has preset effects and such programmed in MyDMX and the soundman is running the lights as well. He may very well have different programs for different tunes..I don't know. I would...My project that we are creating is entirely run via tracks so the lights, video and audio will all work together and we will have exactly what you are saying above. I'm going to speak to Dan about doing just this for our songs with feature parts etc. Good observations and thanks!!

• Members
So do y'all play to a click so that the lights stay with the band???

On the songs we play with tracks/sequences which are maybe 7 or 8. I still think the soundman is triggering pre-arranged lighting sequences for those tunes. The Drummer's Tracks rig is not MIDI'd to the lighting rig. As I said, in my project that we are creating for high end corporate stuff it's all going to work together. Dan does a good job with this rig. We are working on a new Video and new pictures next month as well as integrating 2, 60 or 70" LED TV's and content my partner and I are going to create for video. Try to bring this project to the next level to command more cash.

Archived