Guitar Solos (I still take 'em)

TrickyBoy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool solo and vocal as well. As you said we cut out many of the solos through out the night in our medleys, but it is still fun to rock a few out. I take an extended improvised lead break at the end of Summer of '69 and other than that most of the leads are either cut out due to medleys or played note for note like the original recording. I always wanted to do a ballad where I would have the opportunity to take and extended improvised lead.

On a side note, is it just something with the mic on the camera or is the bass players low B string slightly out of tune?

Neil

• Members

Just listened to it with headphones on and I'm not hearing the out of tune, though that was the last song of the set, so it's possible.

As for extended leads, I'll stretch out Purple Rain even longer sometimes, depending on my mood. Also, we always close with What's Up and I'll sometimes throw an extended lead in there as well, depending on how the night is going.

• Members

It could just be my setup here. I've got a cheapo set of satellite computer speakers with a sub that could be messing with things. I get a weird isolation against the rest of the band on the two notes he plays on the low b string.

What exactly are trying to rub in here, the awesome chops, the killer band in kick ass venue, or the hot wife?

Neil

• Members

Great job. Great tone, very expressive, musical, no tempo issues.

What's the thinking behind pulling solos, anyhow? We play a few songs with pretty great guitar solos (e.g. Two Tickets to Paradise, Don't Fear The Reaper) and I can't imagine skipping them. The song would lose its form.

Wes

• Members

Awesome!

We too remove a lot of solos in our medleys BUT we do include a few so Joe can show off a bit. Usually its when some standards appear in our medleys like- Rebel Yell, Anyway You Want It, Folsom prison Let's Go crazy come to mind... A few more but if the solo is just noodling on the guitar and is not really an iconic part it can be dropped.

• Members

Just kinda depends on the song and the situation. Like Opus said, few modern songs have guitar solos. And we do a lot of medleys where we cut out the solo breaks (or what would pass for them). But we also still play a lot of them. Especially on the classic rock tunes with signature guitar solos. I can't imagine doing Purple Rain without the guitar solo.

For us it's all about the pacing and the flow. If a song feels like it's dragging and the guitar solo doesn't add anything to it, then we'll probably cut it out. Same thing often happens for bridges and verses. If I start to get bored, then I figure so is the audience.

• Members
Interesting thought: Could one put together a successful top-40 band without a lead player? I've not had luck getting one interested in doing top-40' date=' probably because of the lack of leads ;) .[/quote']

Yeah, you don't need a dedicated lead player if you are doing Top 40. If you branch out, you'll hit some road bumps, but if you stick to Top 40, a lead player will have nothing to do. One guitarist can handle most current Top 40 just fine. Especially if you have a keyboardist which is almost essential for today's Top 40.

• Members

Interesting thought: Could one put together a successful top-40 band without a lead player? I've not had luck getting one interested in doing top-40, probably because of the lack of leads

Ask Steve Cropper that question :)

Hell yeah ya can if you have the right cats. Lead guitar is kinda over-rated anyway and when ya break down different genres it means different things. A great metal lead guitarist would probably get boo'ed off the stage at a country gig, and vice versa. And dudes from the 50's when they say lead, now you get into Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, the wound G string "Rockabilly" players: well, that's "lead guitar" too. And then you have the Chet school, the Al DiMeola/John Mc fast left-hand school, the Eddie/Eric Clapton "slow-hand" legato style....On and on. So what is "lead guitar" exactly anyway other than covering the "tricky parts"?

Not trying to be provocative. But with today's homogenized "variety" "do everything" trends, being versatile across a variety of styles is worth far more in a cover band context than being the next Eddie Van Halen clone or so on. A great variety guitarist can go from Eddie to country twang at the drop of a hat, and is expected to....

• Members
Well... I hear a lot of "we cut out the guitar solos from songs" and in fairness' date=' we do too. But occasionally, I get to have some fun ;) Not my best effort, but still fun for me!!![/quote']

Are you serious??? You cut out the guitar solos live??? How old are you? Did you ever go to an Rock Concert??? It's ALL about solos, killer musical sections, interludes etc...We rip guitar leads like a MOFO!!!...You gotta be able to rock brother..

• Members

Again, the forum software is FUGGED....I tried to go back and edit what I was writing but the cursor kept skipping to the end...What i was getting at was go see Pink Floyd, VH, Journey, Zep, etc etc...CLASSIC rock cocerts that DEFINED the genre..and you'll see epic solos!!!

Archived