DJ's or Bands?

RoadRanger

• Members

I fail to see the connection between a "DJ Crowd" and violence. Seems pretty.....situational and based on the individuals there, not so much on what type of music is playin. I assume the DJ's play standard top 40 stuff? I would understand if a hip hop DJ brought a bad crowd, but I really don't think you can even relate the stabbing and the presence of a DJ in this situation.

• Members

Maybe things are different around here - paid bands are usually classic rock of some sort with maybe a few contemporary tunes (pop and/or country) thrown in whereas DJ's tend to play "urban" dance music. Very different crowds. I suppose where original/metal/punk bands can actually get paying gigs it would be different. Heck, even the one major originals club hereabouts went bankrupt last fall even though the bands mostly played for free :( .

It's not that I blame the clubs for bringing in DJ's as they ring quite a bit higher than the bands do - but with the higher ring comes a higher level of intoxication at the end of the night and thereby more propensity for violence. A couple years ago I looked into running a club and the numbers just don't work out when you consider insurance and legal expenses - and around here you have to have a "relationship" with the cops too ;) .

• Members
Well yeah, music that draws more old farts probably will attract less violent crowds. Not as much violence at a classic rock or jazz or big band show than at a hip hop, heavy metal or punk show. Whether it's live or recorded music probably doesn't matter much.
I think our club scene is more stratified than the usual 21-35, the younger half of that goes for the DJ stuff. There's even a really small club nearby that has a band downstairs on Saturdays and a DJ upstairs simultaneously and other nights.

• Members

But what if the band was heavy metal or death metal or....then there was a stabbing. Then they blame it on the band. I don' t know this is a tough one to argue, I just don't think there is any data supporting the fact that dj performances cause increased violence or stabbings. I do think you may find some correlation or significance if you compared the data that a DJ performance may attract a younger population of people which may reveal a younger population is more prone to increased violence by examining the data. (if it exists) Then you could argue what if the band was the latest and greatest boy band? Then you have to add alcohol to the factor, and gender and so on and on.......It would seem to be difficult to argue this topic without supporting data.

• Members
I think our club seen is more stratified than the usual 21-35, the younger half of that goes for the DJ stuff. There's even a really small club nearby that has a band downstairs on Saturdays and a DJ upstairs simultaneously and other nights.
You're answering your own question here. The older people are less violent. That's not news. But they also don't go out as much, which is probably why the club owner went after the younger crowd. If the only answer to less violence is entertainment that appeals to 35 year olds, then there won't be any club scene at ALL soon enough. The way to compete with DJs is to go after the same crowd, or draw another one that's just as big/profitable. Not to use "our crowds are less violent!" as an appeal. No doubt the club owner doesn't want anyone getting stabbed in his parking lot. But he was probably glad there was at least someone there TO stab....

• Members

I will have to concur with the OP on this one. Nearly every night club that has move from Top 40 bands to DJ in my market has seen violence ratchet up... security increase and problems with police increase. It's not the DJ's fault... it's the crowd that follows...and the club lets in, which tends to be younger, more immature and more prone in trafficking illegal substances within the venue which leads to greater conflicts for bouncers and security. It's a choice by the venue to go after that crowd and in most cases it results in the venue's demise. Now before you cry generalizations I live near a small city that has the highest rate of violent crime per capita of population in the state. In almost every case of a bar moving toward a DJ night fights and violent crime increased. Now of course a fight could break out in front of a band. I've been witnesses to a few in my time. But situations have been isolated... where as most venues are dealing with fights, stabbings and contraband every weekend. The liquor authority has closed three nightclubs that formally housed bands due to violent altercations, under aged drinking and drug trafficking. All three clubs previously housed cover bands without incident. I'm not talking about your wedding DJ with speakers on stands playing 90's freestyle.... we're talking club DJ's playing EDM and throwing raves. Last month one girl was hospitalized from heat exhaustion while at a local club while mixing ecstasy and a cocktail of pain killers. I can say that never happened at one of our shows. LOL At least no one was hospitalized from it.

• Members

DJs are quicker than bands. They have ALL air quality material; it's always a star lineup; and can change it up instantly at the whim uh dem dancin' fooz. As to the violence, gangstas have a penchant for quality manufacturing. Party music included.

• Members
I fail to see the connection between a "DJ Crowd" and violence. Seems pretty.....situational and based on the individuals there, not so much on what type of music is playin. I assume the DJ's play standard top 40 stuff? I would understand if a hip hop DJ brought a bad crowd, but I really don't think you can even relate the stabbing and the presence of a DJ in this situation.

Same thing happened in a place I lived a while back. A place that had bands switched to DJ's. It attracted a completely different and dangerous crowd. And there too someone was shot to death in the parking lot. They closed down and eventually came back with live music. It really is a different crowd. Quite obviously so.

Archived