Your Band, Your Music

Outkaster

• Members

I play in a band that has been really been picking up steam. I am getting more gigs, festivals and generally more notoriety. We have a pretty good time, people get along and Everything is OK really. We have a CD of all originals that is really taking off slowly but surely. We do about 60% covers for now and people are starting to ask more or original tracks that we have since played live. Well yesterday we just had a really nice review in a local paper. The band was overjoyed about it and posted and shared on Facebook and told their friends. Other than my girlfriend I didn’t tell anyone and people couldn’t understand why when they contacted me later in the night. Our CD was really written by the guitarist and girl singer. They did a great job and I added keyboards to the tracks and told them how to change some things for authenticity. I guess the thing is even though it is branded with all the band members I don’t feel like it’s “mine” It’s hard to describe. I guess feel a little disassociated with it. What’s also interesting is on most of the tracks that are on the CD, most people like the ones in the band that I don’t. Some of our covers I like more, honestly. For the record I don’t play our originals any differently than the covers as it is all music.

I know sometimes these things come from being hard on ourselves as musicians. We question things like “Is it good enough” , “Will people like the songs”? and so forth. I don’t like to rest on just having a decent CD that everyone likes because to me what you do live means more. A good live band to me says more than just having a decent sounding CD because you have to get under it, transfer the information and music live on stage, one thing a lot of bands can’t do when they play their music live. That’s why you get people recording good records and some that just have a good live sound, I want to do both. Anyway sorry for the long rant but I have just felt disassociated with all the hype lately.

• Members

We musicians are perhaps the most self-sabotaging lot there is. A non-musician friend of mine once told me, after listening to me complain about everything I thought I was doing wrong:, "Dude! STFU and get over yourself! Most of us would give our left nut just to be able to do what you do, let alone get recognition for it. Why can't you just be happy you have what you have and enjoy it while it lasts? Why do you have to talk yourself and everyone else out of liking it?"

Needless to say, it was a stinging rebuke, not because he was wrong but because he was right. Self examination is fine, and there's nothing wrong with knowing we can always do better. But lets not talk ourselves out of whats right with things, either. As THE songwriter in all the bands I've been in, let me tell you that it comes with its own burden of wondering if its any good, or if I let the band down, or the people who buy my CDs. Having "ownership" of something isn't all its cracked up to be sometimes. Just my nickel's worth, adjusted for inflation.

• Members

Seems there are two issues you're wrestling with.

First is the live vs. recorded thing and second is the feeling of ownership.

Regarding the first, the truth is most truly great tracks are captured as a live recording in the studio with a few punch-ins or edits to tidy things up. When it comes to recording the old adage of don't think about it too much applies. Overdub after overdub and retake after retake creates stale recordings where the engineer has to add sparkle via the mix because the tracks lost the energy three takes ago. Zack Brown once noted in an interview that his studio recordings are a breeze and his CD sound solike they do because his band is so frickin badass. You're appreciation and understanding of the live sound and energy can be a huge addition as a co-producer on the next CD. Maybe ask to produce a few tracks on the next CD and work the with the recording engineer to set up 2-3 live captures of a few songs - with punch-ins and edits. I willing to bet the band members will see the light pretty quickly and you'll find "ownership" as the, or one of the, producers for the band's CDs.

I hope this helps. Keep on rockin and enjoy the success my man smiley-happy

• Members

What would it take for you to feel like it was yours? You've already told us what the actual process was. In an ideal world, how should that have gone in order for you to feel connected to the process? Perhaps helping to write the tunes? Perhaps a songwriter credit? Could it be that you feel that you should receive a co-writing credit or two on songs you contributed to?

• Members

No I don't think it's really that. I think it has more to do with how some of it came out and my perception of it. As far as the band, I own it manage it, came up with the name, hired the musicians, taught them how to play certain things, and handle all the business of keeping it a float.

• Members

I'm playing bass for a band that is originals focused. We do covers, but only those that kind of fit in with the originals vibe. Right now its about 50-50. Its been a slow process kicking off but we are starting to generate some local buzz and getting live playing opportunities. We did a 5 song demo in the studio, but it was down and dirty mostly live with just a few overdubs and cut ins. I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to play some good music on our own terms, more or less. Even tho I write none of it I still feel ownership because I was there from the beginning and my upright is a crucial part of our sound.

• Members
No I don't think it's really that. I think it has more to do with how some of it came out and my perception of it. As far as the band' date=' I own it manage it, came up with the name, hired the musicians, taught them how to play certain thing, and handle all the business of keeping it a float.[/quote'] Do you have any songs it ideas to contribute? Maybe try more of a group effort for some songs. What instrument do you play? Myself, I couldn't write a song to save my life. I've played on a couple recordings though, I can work with other people's ideas more than my own.

• Members

There's really nothing wrong in my view of not buying into the hype. Your opinion of the music and the recording is yours. Just because you are in the band, even if it's your band, doesn't mean you have to drink the kool aid. I'm in much the same boat in that I wrote a lot of the music on our cd. But I don't love everything about the cd, not by a long shot. It was the best I could do at that time, and that's all. I like some things, and I don't like others. There is a way to do it differently. I was watching a vid of al dimeola rehearsing for a tour and the other players were reading the parts for the most part. Playing what he wrote out. Taking direction. You could do it that way and likely end up being more satisfied with the outcome, but as soon as you let other players have their say, it becomes something different. That could be better for the project, but it's likely to be a bit less like what the leader wants in the first place. If I do another cd, or any serious recording, I doubt I'll give away as much space as I did last time. I can accept that that could very well make it less likely to be enjoyed by more people than if I compromised with people who have a more commercial viewpoint. IOW, next time I hope to be more satisfied with the result.

• Members

One of the hardest things for me to get a handle on with the band was how to handle a compliment when I know and remember ever clam and booger that we made that night. Now ,, its glad you enjoyed the show and had a good time stop back in and see us again and say it with a smile. How long are you going to be on the island ,, and if they are leaving soon be sure to ask when they are coming back. The show is about them, not me or the band..

• Members

I'm not 100% sure of what you're wanting to ask of people, but if it's sympathy for the anticlimactic feeling we can sometimes feel about "living" with our music, I hear you. And I often feel like my songs are compromised with some of the players I play with; the flipside of course is when they improve on it (which is what we hope for when we collaborate), but that doesn't happen all the time, and you have to learn to deal with that.

Perfectionism kind of really sucks. And there's a million personal reasons why something feels less than right, many are personal and have nothing to do with music! They say Jimi felt frustration because he couldn't realize the sounds he heard in his head. I think a lot of us can relate to that. Maybe the positive takeaway from that is that it's a sign of wanting to make it better next time- next song, next show.

By the way, I want to give you props for doing this originals band. Last I remember hearing form you, you'd been in a difficult breakup with a super-established Motown band (right?). It's news here that you're doing what you're doing now, I'd like to hear some samples.

-Dil

• Members

I think you hit the nail on the head. As far as the other band (Wilmer Alexander Jr. & The Dukes), that break up that was October of 2011. What is sad in that case is that all those guys quit and now are playing in the same kinds of bands playing the same material. It’s a perfect example of a band with a 57 year heritage ending on a whimper because of not being unified. When I was in that band, and other past bands for that matter, I always made sure of important road signs and noticing red flags. I would see something and thing to myself “I’ll never do that” or “If I ever have my own group I won’t do that” When it ended I found it was time to go on my own and I had a chance to try something.

I don’t mind working hard so every performance I notice the wholes and where we can make improvements. Many musicians don’t give a {censored} about their product and I see it all the time at their gigs, the open jams and benefits. I just want more for the guys I work with and for myself. Sometimes I tell my co-manager “Look it’s not a perfect thing” Sometimes I say that and in reality I am reminding myself because it helps you to deal with things when they go wrong. If you go to NobleVibes.com you will see examples and links to everything. I am also working on a new site.

• Moderators
I'm not 100% sure of what you're wanting to ask of people, but if it's sympathy for the anticlimactic feeling we can sometimes feel about "living" with our music, I hear you. And I often feel like my songs are compromised with some of the players I play with; the flipside of course is when they improve on it (which is what we hope for when we collaborate), but that doesn't happen all the time, and you have to learn to deal with that.

Perfectionism kind of really sucks. And there's a million personal reasons why something feels less than right, many are personal and have nothing to do with music! They say Jimi felt frustration because he couldn't realize the sounds he heard in his head. I think a lot of us can relate to that. Maybe the positive takeaway from that is that it's a sign of wanting to make it better next time- next song, next show.

By the way, I want to give you props for doing this originals band. Last I remember hearing form you, you'd been in a difficult breakup with a super-established Motown band (right?). It's news here that you're doing what you're doing now, I'd like to hear some samples.

-Dil

Good stuff ^^^.

Love the working, not necessarily the work. I can't fathom not working on a music project of some type. But when that work gets to a point where it is time to give it up to an audience, however large or small... there's a sadness that it can't be this... definitive statement. That somehow the work is less than. Due to our mismanagement, due to someone else's, due to thinking we're better than we really are, due to unrealistic expectations, due to just being human...

So, I agree wtih MartinC as well. "There's really nothing wrong in my view of not buying into the hype. Your opinion of the music and the recording is yours. Just because you are in the band, even if it's your band, doesn't mean you have to drink the kool aid". Love the working, not the work. Ever notice how an artist will state their favorite album they've made and we think... "that one?!?!?"

• Members

Well the project is anything but mis-managed. I apply a lot strategy as well as just plain commonsense to get things moving and keep them moving. I don't like some of the songs on the bands CD honestly. In fact the one I like the most people don't so go figure. Something was said by a former musician I worked with last year, he said I was never satisfied. My response was he was too satisfied and let {censored} go he shouldn't have. Things can always be improved, always. You have to be ahead of the curve, kind of unsettled, on top of everything, and keeping your ear to the ground to be a manager.

• Members
Everyone always says that like it's some kind of profound statement. What does it even mean?

Nothing is ever perfect. So if you try to get everything perfect, you will never be done. You can have something good, but if you insist on perfecting it (an impossible goal), instead of putting out something good, you end up putting out nothing. Hence, the Perfect becomes the enemy of the Good.

Archived