My latest review - Primacoustic Cumulus Tri-Corner Traps

• Moderators

Phil, they certainly LOOK good! Do they really absorb much? I'm tempted to buy a pair and measure the effect on the room. I'm a little skeptical that something 24" thick (albeit with some air behind it if I understood your description correctly) and only covering the very corner can do much. The manufacturer claims "an absorption coefficient of 0.45 @ 125 Hz, which is very good for a 2" thick panel" which, if true, would be pretty surprising. I suspect the manufacturer measured the center absoprtion using an impedance tube of 60 - 100 mm inside diameter perhaps without a reflective plug behind the sample to approximate the air effect the unit would have in use. I'll see if I can find any data on the manufacturer's website.

My larger concern, though, is that most small rooms have modes lower than 125 Hz (my own little control room has a large mode at about 90 Hz) which this absorber wouldn't be much help with. These modes can be quite wicked in rooms with similar sized walls of the sort most home recordists have to deal with. Regular sized Auralex LENRDs have the same problem; they work reasonably well at 125 Hz and up, but not below.

They're certainly pretty! I might buy a pair to test, and I might keep it for the look even if it doesn't do much.

Good review, btw! philthumb

Terry D.

Archived