Fall Out Gear

wades_keys

• Members

Someone forgot to look the trailer after the show Monday night, and a blues DeVille amp and some other gear flew out of the back at 50 mph....sm-explode

Just another day in paradise I suppose, and just in time for the "big gig" (as it's been described to me) this friday. Huh. I did at one point feel like suggesting to Billy that he keep his amp in the car, but I'm keeping my yap shut now LOL. Reckon he'll figure it out. I NEVER EVER put my gear in any trailer, and this is exactly why. The way I see it, the trailer is for the PA and the big durable solid state stuff. NOT for instruments and stage amps. But that's just me?

• Members

Everything in hard cases pretty much goes in the trailer. Guitars, clothing and other stuff in soft bags go in the back of the SUV that pulls the trailer. Even though most of it is in hard cases the guitarist insists his amp and other gear goes in the back of the SUV, because that's just kind of how he is. His gear is small, so it's not a big deal.

But while we've never had anything ever fall out of the trailer, or be damaged inside of it, the bass player took off once with the back of the SUV open and a bunch of stuff fell out. He proceeded to run over a camera of mine and our projector which was in a soft case. (The replacement is now in a hard case in the trailer.) So it's less about which vehicle you put the stuff in and more about which doors you leave open!

• Members

Back in the day we played a local gig, and were moving our gear back to our warehouse jamspace. Our drummer had his drums in the back of his truck. For whatever reason he left the venue, taking the turn at 80mph (estimated lol) and his tailgate opened. We all watched as his drums were evenly distributed along an arc on the road. Thank god everything was in cases. Lol

• Members

...it's less about which vehicle you put the stuff in and more about which doors you leave open!

^^^ This. Equipment in transit is exposed to increased risk - regardless of what type of vehicle it's in. That potential risk goes up significantly if whatever vehicle it's in isn't operated properly. Leaving doors open, not using safety chains, etc. - all qualify as "improper operation".

• Members

Yeah, I'm trying to keep the mood as positive as possible since we have a rehearsal tonight. This time last week I wasn't in a band: I get a call, two days later I play 2 shows and all this stuff has happened already? LOL. I'm blessed, I tell ya...On top of all that, I just replaced the power steering pump in a Windstar Van that has to be the most poorly designed knuckle bustin SOB you ever put a wrench to, and this morning the damn thing is groaning on me again...Fun.

• Members

^^^ This. Equipment in transit is exposed to increased risk - regardless of what type of vehicle it's in. That potential risk goes up significantly if whatever vehicle it's in isn't operated properly. Leaving doors open, not using safety chains, etc. - all qualify as "improper operation".

we've never had anything damaged in transit in the trailer. Usually because the damned thing is packed so tight! The worst danger comes from people trying to shove things into it and not caring that "if you gotta shove, that means something it back is getting damaged!"

• Members

Just to add a little context to the trailer deal (LOL). Well, I used to play in what was basically a blues band. Stripped down sound, approach, appearance. It worked for that band. I've since gone on to play for other bands that are more mainstream. Every one of those had a trailer, subs, the usual suspects. It's all good. Funny thing is: I just got engaged to the daughter of a fairly well known bluesman around here LOL. I don't think his band has much of a trailer LOL. It's pretty stripped down. Combo amps and cords, small drum set. Ya know: stripped down, simple. If it was good enough for Jr. Wells it's good enough for me :)

Here's an interview for those interested: dude has a cool little history - honored to say I know him.

http://www.issues.louisvillemusicnew...sMarch2002.php

http://www.issues.louisvillemusicnews.net/2002/2002April/blues_april2002.php

• Members

...The worst danger comes from people trying to shove things into it ...

My experience has been that the biggest risk to equipment occurs while the musician is standing in the music store ... and decides to cheap out and forego purchasing a proper case for whatever piece of equipment he's purchasing and instead rationalize the money he's "saving" by kidding himself into thinking that he can safely transport his new toy in the cardboard box it came in, a soft bag or worst of all - because he's going to be "careful" and move it himself. With the exception of speaker cabinets (which often can be safely transported without cases IF you're simply careful about how you pack them) - anything with exposed moving parts (i.e., buttons, switches, knobs, sliders or keys) is pretty much doomed to die a premature death if it's transported without a proper case.

• Members
we've never had anything damaged in transit in the trailer. Usually because the damned thing is packed so tight! The worst danger comes from people trying to shove things into it and not caring that "if you gotta shove' date=' that means something it back is getting damaged!"[/quote'] True enough. I have E-Track so I'm able to strap everything down. The only thing I don't have an ATA case for is my hazer. I just have to take it out sometime and take some measurements for it. One of these days lol. But yeah everything has a place and then there's not much room left over.

• Members
True enough. I have E-Track so I'm able to strap everything down. The only thing I don't have an ATA case for is my hazer. I just have to take it out sometime and take some measurements for it. One of these days lol. But yeah everything has a place and then there's not much room left over.

The only thing we don't have sufficiently-hard-enough cases for are the lights. And some of them have gotten pretty beat up as a result. If anyone runs across a good deal on some lighting cases, let me know!

• Members

Keep your eyes open on Craigslist and kijiji (is that a thing there?) I had one case made (24x48x18)and it wAs $450. I found a pair of 24x48x24 cases, well used but solid for $500 for he pair. I've seen a few more for around $250 - $350 each, find a good foam company and you're set.

• Members

Update: no tubes were broken, but I advised Billy to NOT plug in that amp until he gets it looked over....worst thing would be to blow that output transformer. Also tube sockets may have cracks, which can cause arcing and fire. He's got it in the shop but they are backlogged almost 2 weeks so it will be loaner amps for tonight's show and any others we get in that timeframe.

• Members

Hauling gear is always a risk. I always make a final stage sweep to make sure everything made it back to the vehicle. I never lay stuff on the top of a vehicle for any reason , I always check the closures on everything, doors , latches zippers etc. I guess its the old pilot in me. Pre flight and follow a organized procedure. That said yea I have had door come open in flight on old ratty well worn trainers. Then you play I will stall the plane and you try to shut the door ,, if that doest work you hold the door shut and we will land and shut it lol.

• Members

For me, everything goes into my trailer in a certain order and its strapped down. This way I know everything is there and in its place. Then when it's all together, I do one last "dummy wall through" of the place. Once outside I walk around the trailer and shake each lock to make sure everything is solid, then it's time to leave.

• Members

I should learn from TimKeys and stop putting stuff on top of the vehicle. I tend to do that when humping gear from the house to the van, and I need a place to put it before it can go in...when there is sn*w on the ground.

Last gig, I stopped ten miles from my house to retrieve a tripod and a mic stand from the roof rack. WHOOPS.

Wes

• Members

When I was young and lived in snow country I used to stage stuff by the door and just load it in the order that it had to go into the station wagon. the top of the car leaves way too much chance of driving away with something still on the top. Now I set stuff on the tailgate. Load in and out has a lot of risk for screw ups. The more routine you keep it and the less you involved other people who are not part of the program the better odds of a smooth operation you have. I think the operative word is regular routine with checks to insure that you don't fk up.

• Members

In 2004, the roll up door on our Chevy cube van rolled up on the freeway. We had stopped in a parking lot to let some of the guys off and have their wives pick them up before taking the van to it's parking spot. When we closed the door, it bounced up just enough that when we threw the latch, it went over the top of the catch rather than below it. It was pitch dark out, so we didn't notice it. I lost my 1971 USA strat, and my drummer lost his cymbal bag. Someone flashed us and we discovered the open door and missing gear on the freeway. Of course, we had to keep going until we could get off the freeway, and negotiate a bunch of one way streets back to where we started. By the time we got back, my guitar was gone. The cymbal bag was laying right in the middle of the freeway on ramp and fortunately no one ran over it or recognize it for what it was. He got his cymbals back, some of them he had bought in the 1970s, But my strat was gone forever.

Archived